"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Shock/flash wave crashes

very recently iv'e been experiencing these flash wave crashes on my computer that are paralyzing for awhile every time. it seems to happen mostly while i'm on dc. is anyone else having these? does it mean i might have a virus, or could it somehow be weather related? it doesn't seem to be affecting ie as much, but i hate to use ie anymore.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Don't know what that is. Please describe.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Don't know what that is. Please describe.
i'm afraid i lack those kind of descriptive abilities, andy. the crash just happens, a message appears saying that a shock wave to a plug in or a flash wave has occurred. at that same time chrome is unresponsive, and i either wait it out, go back to the beginning, or unplug the computer.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I wish I could help. Someone else here knows more than I on this topic.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Everymom

Does it happen with any other browser? Is it a javascript error?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Does it happen with any other browser? Is it a javascript error?
hiya alix! i trust you're feeling bright-eyed and bushy tailed again! nope, it has nothing to do with java. i haven't had java since my last computer reconstruction. i'm not sure if it is affecting my ie, but i don't think so. i'm starting to think virus, especially since no one seems to want to talk to me...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Everymom

Getting there. Not all better by a long shot but I'm able to do a lot of resting the next couple of days so I'm going to be bright eyed and bushy tailed ASAP!

I don't know whether its a virus or not, but there are some things you can do to find out. You can run a Trend Micro scan to see what's up. What antivirus software are you currently using? Another option is to go to Castle Cops and you can download a Hijack Log thing, run it and post the log. One of the gurus over there will read it and tell you what to do to fix things.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Sous Chef

there are a number of (free) utilities you can use to do a basic check for virus and nastyware

MalwareByte
Spybot

are two good ones.

Secunia.com can scan your "add in" software and alert you if stuff is "out of date"

Flash gets updated about every other hour - it's a real pita. "new" ad + "old" version could cause the problem.

"stalls" - when the ad server goes down / gets overloaded, that can really slow you down - sites sit and wait, forever, for the ad to "come up"

there is of course the possibility that some of the ads on the site contain errors - innocent ones or nasty ones attempting to cross script and send you places you did not want to go. also, not everyone sees the same ad - the ad software keeps track of the last / which ads you've 'seen' and serves up something fresh.

a lot of folks use adblockers - and never see the stuff. there is no shortage of stories about misbehaving ads on sites.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

First thing I would do is download and install this. It's the lastest and greatest version of Adobe's shockwave plug-in. That should fix your problem.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

2nd thing to do is to DITCH Microsoft's IE. Firefox and Chrome are both outstanding alternatives.

The 3rd thing to do is to use an ad-blocker with your browser. Firefox and Chrome have great ones ~ I do not see a single ad on this site!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote