Shocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I just opened one of those emails that just puts fear into communicating with someone. I think it is when I put my name on a site that I asked to send me notices for sales. This does make me sick. The message was so appalling that has taken me a while to calm down. When it appears right in your own home! It is as if I let a stranger in the house and tells me what to do. I hope I can shake this feeling. I have only been communicating on this site and made mistake of giving my email out. Do you think I can expect more? Why do people have to ruin a good thing? People! Just when I started regaining my faith in society. Here I go again. Down on my knees for help. Thanks for understanding. Don't people have enough to do than interfere with people's lives? I guess I have to remain where I know nothing happens. HERE. Thanks to the people who screen those worthless individuals out. I appreciate your work.

You do have to be careful itk. I don't give my email out to anyone anymore unless I know who they are. Some characters will make you feel comfortable and then try to hurt you. It's just the way society is now. It's really sad!!
Most email services will allow you to block senders now. Check by right clicking your mouse on the offensive email and see if it gives you that option.

As with any automatic emailing, there is generally a link at the bottom which will take you to an "unsubscribe" page. This way they have to stop bugging you. If you've already deleted the email, go into your "recently deleted mail" file and it will still be there for a short while.
Good luck, and remember you're stronger than they are - you can delete them!

Another idea: I have a few different email addresses - one for friends & family, one for general stuff and one for ebay. Makes it much better. Also spam blockers are a lifesaver!

i recommend having several mails too. as jkath said one for friends and family... one where you know it's all going to be spam so it all gets deleted.

Experience

Thanks for your comments. You must all have had this happen to you too? Sure is scary. I will try to see what happens and if I can keep them out. I just feel so confused about the computer. One hand I like to communicate with others and see if they consider me normal. Now I feel abnormal since I have these kind of people trying to reach me. Just not good feeling. thanks for your t ime and understanding. To violate someone in this way makes me more appreciative of all of you. I wish you all the best. May they st ay away from your email.

Be careful of those unsubscribe links. The less reputable sites actually use those links to confirm that your address is real and working. It is just a way of sending you even more spam. Of course the reputable sites will not do that and their unsubscribe links do what they are supposed to do. Just be careful.

how do you access your email...outlook (express), web interface, other??

you can add them to a block list or spam filter them.

please PM me their site, ..i can make their life quite difficult.

I have a hard and fast rule. I NEVER open an email if I don't know the
sender. I delete it without opening.

If you use a preview pane in your mail sofware, I recommend you turn it off.

GB is right about the unsubscribe links. I have used them to unsubscribe from newsletters that I have actually subscribed to, but never anything else. For other things, I mark it as junk mail or spam, and if it is very offensive, I put a block on it.

:) Barbara

Christmas

All this stuff I ordered on line really messed me up. The email said from support and my email address as the subject. I was worried I overlooked some kind of bill or that they didn't receive the item I sent. Does it pay to use this computer to order things? If they get hold of the number on charge, I am dead. Try to keep track of all the stuff you get and then the dumb stuff is not the right size. This is a big headache with the sizes on everything. Never right. Guess that's why they all go to Nieman Marcus and know they better get it right. My brother has no understanding of my trouble cause he tells me not to get something if made outside US. He is one who knows what is going to happen. Tells me China evolving so fast that they have passed us. He figures in 5 years we will be in same shape they were. How did I get started on this? Look, how he has affected me! He just reads and listens to all these different BBC stations. Seems like he never sleeps. He is such unique individual, kind of sad that others don't feel the same. Sorry, I got off the subject. Maybe good thing. At least he wouldn't send me a nasty email. Such low lifes. All this is my opinion I don't represent any group or politician. I just bet it is one of the companies I ordered from.

GB said:
Be careful of those unsubscribe links. The less reputable sites actually use those links to confirm that your address is real and working. It is just a way of sending you even more spam. Of course the reputable sites will not do that and their unsubscribe links do what they are supposed to do. Just be careful.

How true! I can't get rid of these emails, so now I just delete them. Unsubscribe didn't work, nor did sending them a reply - even when there is a 'valid' address. The next step will be changing my primary email address. What a pain in the *** these people are! The most junk email I received was when I had AOL. GOOD RIDDANCE to AOL.

ITK, I sent you a pm (through this site), hope you received it/checked your mailbox here on this site.

I have a junk/spam hotmail account I set up for things I'm not sure about if I sign up for something. If I don't know who you are, you get deleted without me ever seeing whats in there...

mish said:
GOOD RIDDANCE to AOL.
Amen. What a nightmare that was for me...:furious:

If you are having problems, try contacting your ISP if they provide your e-mail service. They may be able to help you. When blocking you may have to be very persistent. I swear the same source sends e-mails out under different addresses. When you block one, they send the nasty stuff out under a different address.

mish

TK, I sent you a pm (through this site), hope you received it/checked your mailbox here on this site.

mish, now I am worried! i normally get the messages from here on the regular email page. How come I didn't get the one you talk about? Otherwise isn't it supposed to be on the right hand side of this page where it says, Welcome and then your name? First I have trouble with unwanted email and now when I want to read your email, not there. Does this drive you crazy or what?

Thank you for getting back to me here, ITK. Didn't know if you received my pm. Haven't received yours yet.

Suggestion - Go to User CP at top of screen, chose edit options, and email, pm options. You can chose to be notified of pm while you are here or in an email. Hope that helps. Will look for your pm. :)

Also, when you go to User CP, you can click on list messages (on the left of that screen) to see your incoming and sent PMs from this site/forum.

Last edited:
mish

thanks for your patience. Feel like you are holding my hand to lead me. Thanks and sorry for being bother. I do want to know what you have to say. Appreciate it.

mish

1. You have reached your stored private message quota and can not send any further messages until space has been created.

mish

1. You have reached your stored private message quota and can not send any further messages until space has been created.

I can't delete prior messages i received in the past. Tried to contact Technical Director or whoever is supposed to help and no response. Still messages won't go through. Also did what you said and still not right.

Maybe talk to much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom