"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i like to take milk from the back of the shelves, then put containers from the front of the shelf in the back just to even things out.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
Head Chef

I guess I won't be running through the sprinklers in the Produce section on a hot day anymore.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I've found this particularly with dairy products. I'm buying for one person and I consume an average amount of diary products, but even in reasonable sized containers (I never buy milk in gallons) I find that it's a race to consume my dairy products before they go sour. I always reach for the back of the shelf and I scour the sell-by dates until I find the freshest. (I'm tempted to go into the employee area!)

A few times in some of those double side refrigerators (increasingly obsolete) where the employees stocked the shelves from within the refrigerated area (walk in refrigerator) I've been embarrassed to be reaching for containers almost at the same time as the employee was loading them up. I'm glad the design wasn't conducive to eye-to-eye contact!
I reach back there & try to shake his hand. lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I also reach to the back for colder items.

I'm annoyed by the vegetable sprayers because the wet produce deterioriates faster at home so you're obligated to dry and re-package your greens when you get home.

When I'm loading the conveyor belt at checkout, I avoid wet spots. Produce and meats are always in plastic bags.

I have a real issue with poultry packages that leak meat juices. Knowing about salmonella (intimately) I feel contaminated when I pick up a chicken and the package is wet. It goes into a plastic bag and I make use of the hand sanitizer stand in the supermarket.
I'm not crazy about paying for the extra water weight sprayed on the produce @ whatever/pound...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's been so hot here. I did wonder why they kept kicking me out of the broccoli.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They ran me out of the walk-in freezer...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm not crazy about paying for the extra water weight sprayed on the produce @ whatever/pound...
Where we shop, it's the greens that are sprayed. They are priced by the unit rather than weight. Lettuce by heads, scallions, parsley, cilantro by the bunch, etc.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
I also reach to the back for colder items.

I'm annoyed by the vegetable sprayers because the wet produce deterioriates faster at home so you're obligated to dry and re-package your greens when you get home.

When I'm loading the conveyor belt at checkout, I avoid wet spots. Produce and meats are always in plastic bags.

I have a real issue with poultry packages that leak meat juices. Knowing about salmonella (intimately) I feel contaminated when I pick up a chicken and the package is wet. It goes into a plastic bag and I make use of the hand sanitizer stand in the supermarket.
Wow, I've done all that! All that!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I shake off my wet vegetables too. Partly because I don't want their sick water on my greens, but I imagine from time to time I save a cent or two. It may add up over a long time, but just the principle of paying money for water makes me mad.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Where we shop, it's the greens that are sprayed. They are priced by the unit rather than weight. Lettuce by heads, scallions, parsley, cilantro by the bunch, etc.
Lucky you, a head of iceberg lettuce that's been sprayed weighs a lot. Most of the lettuces and greens are sold here by the pound and sprayed.