"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2018, 03:15 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I would prefer our house to be "indoor shoe-outdoor shoe" people just to keep outside junk from coming in. However, Himself is totally untrainable. Our previous home had a mudroom between the garage door into the house and the rest of the house. The kids and I all had indoor shoes under a bench in the mudroom. We'd walk in, swap shoes, and head into the main part of the house with clean-bottomed shoes or slippers. Himself never-ever-ever would do that. *sigh* Sometimes you just toss your hands up into the air and give up. Now we both wear whatever we want in the house. Except that I take winter boots off before I leave the back hallway area of this house.

Our niece married a man who was born in Taiwan and lived there until his early teens. Their custom is to remove shoes when entering a house. They even have the blue shoe booties in case you want to keep your own shoes on inside their home. Maybe I should get shoe booties for Himself?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #22
Head Chef

Interesting thread..

I would like to go 'outdoor' shoes off but, I forget to do that. I do put on moccasins inside but, for various reasons, I also walk outside in them..

I believe that when Jeannie and I move into our apartment, we should make make an effort to make that happen..

Ross

Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Living on a farm in a country with winter... Think the answer should be pretty obvious. I try to keep a variety of slippers by the door for guests.

Like CakeP I don't ask tradesmen to remove theirs but many do. Koodo's to them!

l also have a huge pair of felt slip-on's - designed to go over my farm boots - tradesmen are impressed with them but you must slide along in them - don't try to do stairs!

Unfortunately cats & dogs are in & out too often to catch each time after a week of rain.

Was distracted last week between goose gate repair, dash to accountant's, met girlfriend for coffee and a quick visit to Wally's World. For what-ever reasons I looked down... to see I was wearing my house shoes in the middle of WalMart!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wear thick fuzzy socks inside during cold weather. Summer I barefoot it. I too love my Dawgs Z sandals for outside, especially the pair with little skulls and crossbones that can be worn with socks. Usually wear some kind of Keens sandals, shoes, or boots for shopping or running around.

I recall a few times returning to work after eating lunch at home, in my gardening shoes...
Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Shoes just long enough to put on slippers. I live in slippers.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

We take our outdoor shoes off upon entering.

But one thing we don't do is use dedicated bathroom/toilet slippers like they do in most of Asia...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I wear shoes inside. I would like to go barefoot but a problem with my feet requires a structured shoe. I will however change my shoes. I have some sandals that my doctor approved that I wear in the house. I need a pretty heavy arch support.
I have Ecco sandals... most comfortable footwear I own, and what I wear much of the summer. Even my flip-flops are not the cheap Walmart type... I paid about $40 for them to get at least a degree of support. I've been wearing them regularly for 7 years now and they're still going strong.

To those of you who change immediately... what do you do when bringing in multiple loads of groceries or other stuff? Surely you don't change every load. I bring things in from the garage through the mudroom into the kitchen. After I'm done hauling, then I'll take off my shoes.

Because of the arrangement of the house, my study is also my "dressing room", so my shoes are kept there except for one pair of shoes in the laundry/mudroom. I really don't worry about wearing my shoes in from outside unless it's snowy or muddy - then I take them off in the mudroom. We don't have carpet - laminate flooring throughout except kitchen, mudroom and bathrooms which are tiled.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

To those of you who change immediately... what do you do when bringing in multiple loads of groceries or other stuff? Surely you don't change every load.

We have a transition area where we dump all the groceries onto a table before having to remove our dirty shoes.

Having your front or side entrances set up like this would be ideal:
Attached Images

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have Ecco sandals... most comfortable footwear I own, and what I wear much of the summer. Even my flip-flops are not the cheap Walmart type... I paid about $40 for them to get at least a degree of support. I've been wearing them regularly for 7 years now and they're still going strong.
For anyone interested, the flip-flops I mentioned are Oakleys. Price is actually in the mid $30's. They don't have the same model any more, but the Operative 2.0 look similar - in fact, I decided to order a new pair from Amazon.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I wear slippers or sandals inside, for the most part. DH usually wears slippers or indoor moccasins but not always. We have added a bench and shoe rack to the sunroom, so now there's a place to change when we come inside from the backyard.

I have neuropathy in my feet and we have tile in the kitchen, so my feet get cold and painful if I stand on it barefoot. I also have to be careful not to get cuts on my feet, so I always have something on my feet. I don't ask guests to take their shoes off.

About the groceries, we have a large, covered front porch that runs the width of the house, so I bring all the bags up to the porch and then inside to the kitchen.