Shoes in the house.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would prefer our house to be "indoor shoe-outdoor shoe" people just to keep outside junk from coming in. However, Himself is totally untrainable. :glare: Our previous home had a mudroom between the garage door into the house and the rest of the house. The kids and I all had indoor shoes under a bench in the mudroom. We'd walk in, swap shoes, and head into the main part of the house with clean-bottomed shoes or slippers. Himself never-ever-ever would do that. *sigh* Sometimes you just toss your hands up into the air and give up. Now we both wear whatever we want in the house. Except that I take winter boots off before I leave the back hallway area of this house.

Our niece married a man who was born in Taiwan and lived there until his early teens. Their custom is to remove shoes when entering a house. They even have the blue shoe booties in case you want to keep your own shoes on inside their home. Maybe I should get shoe booties for Himself? :LOL:

Interesting thread..

I would like to go 'outdoor' shoes off but, I forget to do that. I do put on moccasins inside but, for various reasons, I also walk outside in them..

I believe that when Jeannie and I move into our apartment, we should make make an effort to make that happen..

Ross

Living on a farm in a country with winter... Think the answer should be pretty obvious. I try to keep a variety of slippers by the door for guests.

Like CakeP I don't ask tradesmen to remove theirs but many do. Koodo's to them!

l also have a huge pair of felt slip-on's - designed to go over my farm boots - tradesmen are impressed with them but you must slide along in them - don't try to do stairs!

Unfortunately cats & dogs are in & out too often to catch each time after a week of rain.

Was distracted last week between goose gate repair, dash to accountant's, met girlfriend for coffee and a quick visit to Wally's World. For what-ever reasons I looked down... to see I was wearing my house shoes in the middle of WalMart!

I wear thick fuzzy socks inside during cold weather. Summer I barefoot it. I too love my Dawgs Z sandals for outside, especially the pair with little skulls and crossbones that can be worn with socks. Usually wear some kind of Keens sandals, shoes, or boots for shopping or running around.

I recall a few times returning to work after eating lunch at home, in my gardening shoes...

Last edited:
I wear shoes inside. I would like to go barefoot but a problem with my feet requires a structured shoe. I will however change my shoes. I have some sandals that my doctor approved that I wear in the house. I need a pretty heavy arch support.

I have Ecco sandals... most comfortable footwear I own, and what I wear much of the summer. Even my flip-flops are not the cheap Walmart type... I paid about $40 for them to get at least a degree of support. I've been wearing them regularly for 7 years now and they're still going strong.

To those of you who change immediately... what do you do when bringing in multiple loads of groceries or other stuff? Surely you don't change every load. I bring things in from the garage through the mudroom into the kitchen. After I'm done hauling, then I'll take off my shoes.

Because of the arrangement of the house, my study is also my "dressing room", so my shoes are kept there except for one pair of shoes in the laundry/mudroom. I really don't worry about wearing my shoes in from outside unless it's snowy or muddy - then I take them off in the mudroom. We don't have carpet - laminate flooring throughout except kitchen, mudroom and bathrooms which are tiled.

To those of you who change immediately... what do you do when bringing in multiple loads of groceries or other stuff? Surely you don't change every load.

We have a transition area where we dump all the groceries onto a table before having to remove our dirty shoes.

Having your front or side entrances set up like this would be ideal:

Attachments

• GENKAN.jpg
    GENKAN.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I have Ecco sandals... most comfortable footwear I own, and what I wear much of the summer. Even my flip-flops are not the cheap Walmart type... I paid about $40 for them to get at least a degree of support. I've been wearing them regularly for 7 years now and they're still going strong.

For anyone interested, the flip-flops I mentioned are Oakleys. Price is actually in the mid $30's. They don't have the same model any more, but the Operative 2.0 look similar - in fact, I decided to order a new pair from Amazon.

I wear slippers or sandals inside, for the most part. DH usually wears slippers or indoor moccasins but not always. We have added a bench and shoe rack to the sunroom, so now there's a place to change when we come inside from the backyard.

I have neuropathy in my feet and we have tile in the kitchen, so my feet get cold and painful if I stand on it barefoot. I also have to be careful not to get cuts on my feet, so I always have something on my feet. I don't ask guests to take their shoes off.

About the groceries, we have a large, covered front porch that runs the width of the house, so I bring all the bags up to the porch and then inside to the kitchen.

Last edited:
I dump the groceries inside the front door, then kick off my shoes and continue from there. Most of the time I only have one trip to make from truck to door. Sometimes, if I have multiple trips, I just put the groceries/bags on the porch and swap into a pair of Shrek's Minnetonkas to get them into the house. During the summer I wash off the porch at least once a week. I have work boots outside the patio door and take them off before coming in barefoot or in my socks, depends on how much water I get into my boots while outside playing in the dirt and mud.:pig:

I didn't used to wear shoes in the house. But, I have osteoporosis and now it takes a long time for my toes to heal when I break them. I haven't broken any toes since I started wearing shoes all the time. I really would prefer to go barefooted.

I didn't used to wear shoes in the house. But, I have osteoporosis and now it takes a long time for my toes to heal when I break them. I haven't broken any toes since I started wearing shoes all the time. I really would prefer to go barefooted.

Stubbed toes is a definite hazard when not wearing shoes, or at least sandals. I've never broken a toe, but I sure thought I did a couple of times. :w00t2:

Stubbed toes is a definite hazard when not wearing shoes, or at least sandals. I've never broken a toe, but I sure thought I did a couple of times. :w00t2:
That's what a broken toe feels like. But, the pain of a stubbed toe fades fairly quickly.

Hawaii 006.jpg

This is the apartment that we rent when we go home,
back to Hawaii that is.
There's a nice tiled hall way as you entire, just enough room to
take your shoes off.
There's even a friendly sign over the doorway as you
come in, "Please remove all shoes" ...
most rentals in Hawaii have that ;)

We are country folk. Horses, dogs, cats and dirt and mud. Add in gravel driveways and it's hopeless. My best shoes are my newest work boots. We are in and out constantly. I only take my boots off when I am done for the day, then socks.

We have wood floors that haven't been refinished since the Wilson administration, so we don't worry too much.

Oh, count your blessings. I ran to answer the phone (back in land-line days) barefoot and kicked a kitchen chair leg. Looked down, and my pinkie-toe was L-shaped. OMG, the pain was 100-times what I felt when I broke my arm. Maybe 500-times. I drove to the ER in my VW GTi -- manual transmission. It was a six-speed, most of the time. It was a two-speed that day -- first and fourth.

Worst part, it hurt for months.

But, I still prefer to be barefoot as much as possible, especially in the house.

CD

I need another pair of gardening boots, mine are getting schizo and I keep forgetting where they are hanging out, front or back. Been planting and raking and watering all day.

Try to find a pair with a kid's feet in them so all you have to do is sit on the steps with a cold drink and supervise!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

LOL! Yeah, my teenage helper has kind of flaked out on me. Dad had shoulder surgery...it's all on me.

Django is doing bug patrol, he's finding lots since I have all the windows and doors open. Cracks me up when he "talks" to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom