Shoes in the house.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Was watching a video on FB about shoes in the house. How, here in America, people do not change their shoes to sleepers/home shoes when coming home. This is not necessary a pole, but maybe you people can chime in, especially those that do not live in US on the custom of your country. What is prevalent custom?
Thank you.

I go barefoot, or stocking foot, 95% of the time in the house. When I have shoes on coming in from outside, I don't change to something else. I either keep wearing them, or just take them off and go "au natural." I generally have a pair of flip-flops in the laundry room by the back door to put on if I have to go out to the yard or garage briefly for something.

We take off our shoes when we come into the house and wear slippers/sandals/etc. indoors. In the summer, we're usually all barefoot. We don't ask our guests to take shoes off but our Indian neighbors do as a matter of course.

I take my shoes off when I come in the door and paddle around in my socks or bare feet.

My PCP says I need to get serious about wearing shoes or slippers with some structure in them to protect my feet due to the fact that I have diabetes. I really need to work on that.

Just because...we change our shoes before we come into the house.

We have "inside" shoes and "outside" shoes. All of this is because we want to keep our carpet clean. Not that we have a white carpet. We just want to keep things nice

In the end, we change our shoes before we enter our home.

I don't ever wear shoes in the house. Barefoot 3/4 of the year. In the colder months I wear little anklet socks or slippers. I keep flip flops on the outside of the 3 doors that lead outdoors. Going shoeless in the house is just a matter of personal preference and comfort, so I wouldn't ask a guest in my home to remove their shoes before coming in.

In Hawaii, you ALWAYS take your shoes, slippers, whatever was on your feet outside, OFF!! It's rude to leave shoes on in doors.

The first time DH took me "back East" to meet his family, we're on the airplane and he turns to me and gasps:
Do not take your shoes off when you go into my Brother's house!!! They'll think you're CRAZY!! :LOL:
I knew that! :stuart:

I'm with RPC and CJ. I pretty much never wear shoes in my house. I keep my Birkies and a pair of Nike walkers handy to go out, and take them off when I get done. I'm either barefoot or in socks in my house.

CD

I wear shoes inside. I would like to go barefoot but a problem with my feet requires a structured shoe. I will however change my shoes. I have some sandals that my doctor approved that I wear in the house. I need a pretty heavy arch support.

First off, I don't wear shoes unless I HAVE to, barefoot indoors. I have shoes near the doors that I wear outside (most of the time), then I have my work shoes in a shoe box in the truck. I never wear my work shoes any where but work, I know what happens on those floors.

I might have to put up a sign that reminds me to wear shoes outside...nobody to nag me anymore.

We don't wear outdoor shoes in the house, only because we have light carpet and it helps to keep it cleaner. SC is in and out of both doors many times a day and he keeps indoor flip flops at each door.
I would never ask, or expect a guest to remove their shoes in our home. It just seems wrong to me somehow.

First off, I don't wear shoes unless I HAVE to, barefoot indoors. I have shoes near the doors that I wear outside (most of the time), then I have my work shoes in a shoe box in the truck. I never wear my work shoes any where but work, I know what happens on those floors.

I might have to put up a sign that reminds me to wear shoes outside...nobody to nag me anymore.

I'm like you, PF. I prefer to go without shoes but in recent years I've discovered that I have to wear something on my feet or my heels will split. Most of the times I wear Dawgs flip-flop shoes or their z-sandals. Loves me Dawgs.

We also don't wear the same shoes inside that we've worn when "out." For the same reason you infer. Who knows what our shoe soles have encountered when out in the world?!

I'm like you, PF. I prefer to go without shoes but in recent years I've discovered that I have to wear something on my feet or my heels will split. Most of the times I wear Dawgs flip-flop shoes or their z-sandals. Loves me Dawgs.

We also don't wear the same shoes inside that we've worn when "out." For the same reason you infer. Who knows what our shoe soles have encountered when out in the world?!

Hmmm...I've never had my heels split. I wear no-show socks to bed after I have rubbed my feet with coconut oil.

From where I am sitting I can see 6 pairs of shoes and boots...cleaning up is easy, I just put the shoes away.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Growing up, there was a crock by the door with extra slippers, etc. for visitors to wear. My grandmothers and aunts did that. It is just what we always did and grew up doing. I maintained the same practice at my house--crocs, flip flops, slippers in various sizes for guests by the door. When I visit, I almost always bring slippers to put on. But then, I have always lived where there is winter and people wear boots--nice to offer guests something to slip on when they take their boots off.

I wear slippers or "indoor" shoes in the house. Usually slippers. I have outdoor footwear by the doors I use so I can change before leaving the house or coming back inside.

We don't wear outdoor shoes in the house, only because we have light carpet and it helps to keep it cleaner. SC is in and out of both doors many times a day and he keeps indoor flip flops at each door.
I would never ask, or expect a guest to remove their shoes in our home. It just seems wrong to me somehow.

Let me add that living in this mild climate, we generally don't have outdoor shoes filled with mud or muck. Well, unless my construction working sons come to visit, and in that case Mama speaks up and tells them to leave their boots outside the door. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In Sweden you take your shoes off. You can ask politely if you can wear your shoes indoor, I only say yes to any handyman who comes over because thier shoes are part of their safety gear.

If you go to the dentist or doctor you get these blue shoe covers to put on.

I be rude if I didnt take my shoes off.

Back
Top Bottom