Shopping at Aldi and Wegmans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I am beside myself excited that I found that on our road trip
from AZ to VA (& MD/DC/PA with the fam) and back again, I'll be able to FINALLY
go to an Aldi AND a Wegmans!!!

YAY my personal label.jpg

I have only been in a Wegmans once, for a few minutes (really not long enough), before I was DRAGGED out, so this is big for me!
And Aldi, well, I've always wanted to go! (like TJ's right?)

So...
With all of this said,
what do I want to look for, at, buy, eat, try ...

Did I say I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
excited?

YAY my personal label.jpg

I've never been to Wegman's, but ALDI doesn't do much for me. The stuff they have is good, but I always have to go to Kroger afterwards to get what ALDI didn't have. Or, I can just go to Kroger, and get everything I need.

ALDI isn't "just like" TJ's, even though they are the same company. TJ's has more "hipster" in its personality. The TJ's closest to me is across the street from "Whole Paycheck," and next to an REI.

But, the only way to know if you like it is to go.

CD

Price-wise and appearance, they are at polar opposites.

Aldi is the ugly stepsister of Trader Joe's. Basic store, limited product choices, possibly a small produce section depending on location. Still, I love them to death for basics since they compensate with Plain Jane prices - cheap. Their product quality has vastly improved from when I first shopped them in the second half of the 1980s to now. And, like TJ's, they will refund your money on any product, even if only because you didn't like it. In years of shopping there, I've returned only one item.

Wegmans is very efficient in "area pricing". If you have a choice between shopping in a middle-class location or an upscale one, go middle-class. That said, they do offer wonderful prepared items, trendy gourmet foods, and unique stuff. Most of them also have in-store eating areas. You can wander through hot stations with various ethnic cuisines, select what you would like, and pay for your food by the pound - then take it to the seating area to relax and eat. It's multi-cultural dim sum!

If you shop at Aldi, your budget will thank you. If you shop Wegmans, you will win Foodie for the Day points. ;)

If you are traveling and not really grocery shopping I would try Aldi's chocolate or a bag of pistachios both are usually in the first aisle where you walk in the door!

Wegman's would be the deli/prepared food section or the bakery. Wegman's has great subs and many, many other choices of prepared foods. Take some time to point, stare and be amazed at the prices for things like prepared mashed potatoes, two pounds for $12.00. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Wegman's is a great place to shop but it takes time to learn how to navigate the store and find good value for your money.

Check out the Wegman's website and sign up for your Wegman's shoppers card!

Last edited:
I'm not big on Aldi myself. There used to be one in the town where I lived. When they first opened, I thought I'd stop in and check it out. The first sign that something was odd is that they wanted me to pay a quarter for a shopping cart. Well, as usual, I had no cash on me. So I had to schlep around the store carrying my groceries.

The store itself had some good deals, but a strange array of inventory. Brands I had never heard of, and a lack of common everyday foods. But I could buy a paper shredder there. Very strange.

Also strange was the fact that it was brand new store, and yet the parking lot was empty, as was the store. Furthermore, other than a couple of checkout people, there were no other employees to be found anywhere and no one able to answer questions.

When I went to check out, I found they wouldn't take credit/debit cards. Ok, credit cards... I get that. But debit cards? The gal at the checkout said, "Oh, there's an ATM machine over in the corner where you can get cash." That was a little annoying.

I know that all of these things are little cost saving measures, but I just came to the conclusion that if they made it so complicated to shop there, they didn't really want my business that bad. I prefer convenience and variety.

Now I realize this will probably raise a few hackles with Aldi devotees, and I also understand they've changed some of their policies since then, but I just never found any compelling reason to go back. And several years later, the parking lot is still empty when I drive by, so I don't think I'm the only one.

Wegmans. I've been to one. We have some high end grocers here in the Twin Cities (Lunds, Byerly's), and they seem to be similar.

Last edited:
We've visited Wegmans a couple of times. Never for a full weekly shopping trip. We've eaten at the food court twice and weren't impressed. The food was mediocre. We didn't have a sub either time.

The store is an interesting mix of reasonably priced and very expensive foods. I hesitate to imagine what my weekly food bill would be if I shopped there.

Missing my Cali TJ's, I am very happy with Aldi's in MO.. We have two stores in my area, one older, one newer.. Both, to me, are wonderful stores..

Its true that Aldi's is not one stop shopping but, that isn't a factor for me.. I love the joint and find many items I enjoyed @ TJ's.. :)

Ross

I'm with you, for the most part. Steve. I keep change in my car, so the cart thing isn't a problem but I have only gone a couple of times. They had good deals on meats I don't usually find at Kroger, like skirt steak, and really good prices on German food, like brown bread and snacks. The produce was pretty inexpensive. But it's out of the way for me, so not worth making another trip.

I haven't been in a Wegman's in many years, since I lived briefly in Northern Virginia. I remember it as similar to Whole Paycheck, I mean Whole Foods ;) When Whole Foods opened in Virginia Beach, I went in to check it out. Walked out without buying anything and haven't been back [emoji38] Lots of overpriced meats, seafood, etc., doesn't impress me.

Last edited:
ALDI isn't "just like" TJ's, even though they are the same company. TJ's has more "hipster" in its personality. The TJ's closest to me is across the street from "Whole Paycheck," and next to an REI.

They're not the same company. They were started by the same family, but some family members parted ways after the founder's death and now they're completely separate organizations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht

Last edited:
My wife has been going to Aldi's with my MIL.
I must say I have been impressed so far. Everything she has purchased was better than average and from what she has told me, things are a lot less money.

The bagged salad was dry and fresh. Actually lasted more than two days in the fridge.
The salad dressing was equal to the major brand as far as appearance and taste.

We've visited Wegmans a couple of times. Never for a full weekly shopping trip. We've eaten at the food court twice and weren't impressed. The food was mediocre. We didn't have a sub either time.

The store is an interesting mix of reasonably priced and very expensive foods. I hesitate to imagine what my weekly food bill would be if I shopped there.

The prepared food at the Chestnut Hill Wegmans is actually pretty decent. My knee doctor’s office is in the same building so I eat there every few months or so.

Their rotisserie chicken can’t be beat, except by homemade. Neither can their liquor store.

I don't shop at Aldi too often. Not sure why. Once when avocados were through the roof at every other store, they were less than a buck at Aldi's.

Steve K forgot to mention, you get your quarter for your cart back when you return it to the cart corral.

You need to bring your own shopping bags.

The check out clerks get to sit down on stools while working. Sensible. I think this maybe more common elsewhere, like in the UK, but not in the US.

Can't speak to Wegmans. Never been to one and there are none anywhere near us.

Aldi on the other hand....

Can't say enough positive about them. The store nearest to me is wonderful. As a matter of fact, it was rebuilt/renovated a few years ago because it was one of the best producing ones in the area or, perhaps, the country. Instead of trashing the place, it was completely razed and then rebuilt into a larger, better facility.

I love their selection of basics, along with their produce and, now, their fresh meats/poultry.

Their Grandessa line of foods (high end stuff) is superior to many of the larger grocery chains.

The store is always clean. The staff is pleasant and helpful and, as someone already mentioned, goods can be returned for a full refund. I've never had to go that route but I've been in line when someone else brought something back...no questions asked and full price was given.

......Publix

never been, heard alot about them...

thoughts everyone?...
Nice stores. Higher prices. Some upscale items with the up-price to match. They are a great option to a fast-food or family sit-down restaurant because they will make subs to order at the counter and, like Wegmans, offer prepared heat-and-eat foods. They were our go-to grocery store when we first started going down to Fort Myers Beach each year. Then Aldi moved into the market area. Still hit Publix for some items, but not like before.

Can't speak to Wegmans. Never been to one and there are none anywhere near us.

Aldi on the other hand....

Can't say enough positive about them. The store nearest to me is wonderful. As a matter of fact, it was rebuilt/renovated a few years ago because it was one of the best producing ones in the area or, perhaps, the country. Instead of trashing the place, it was completely razed and then rebuilt into a larger, better facility.

I love their selection of basics, along with their produce and, now, their fresh meats/poultry.

Their Grandessa line of foods (high end stuff) is superior to many of the larger grocery chains.

The store is always clean. The staff is pleasant and helpful and, as someone already mentioned, goods can be returned for a full refund. I've never had to go that route but I've been in line when someone else brought something back...no questions asked and full price was given.
+1.... :)

Ross

... that I'm also going to search out

Publix

never been, heard alot about them...

thoughts everyone? :question:

Best bakery in town here. Great deli and lots of things not normally found in SC. The subs are outrageous!
If I had to choose one grocery store it would be Publix.
On St. Patties day, I went to our closest decent bakery and they did not have one loaf of rye bread. They said they never have rye bread and I had one bakery person ask me what it was? :rolleyes:
They did however have many loaves of 5 grain Italian. Guess where they got that idea? PUBLIX!

So I drove 15 miles to Publix and as I walked in the door, I was presented a rack of fresh baked rye bread on sale.
Just when you think you found a gem (Ingles), you find out its not a true gem.

Oh....as I was leaving Ingles I asked the manager what were all those people going to do with the corned beef I saw in every shopping cart including mine?
He had no answer and referred me to the bakery that did not know what rye bread was.

Last edited:
I don't shop at Aldi too often. Not sure why. Once when avocados were through the roof at every other store, they were less than a buck at Aldi's.

Steve K forgot to mention, you get your quarter for your cart back when you return it to the cart corral.

You need to bring your own shopping bags.

The check out clerks get to sit down on stools while working. Sensible. I think this maybe more common elsewhere, like in the UK, but not in the US.
They ONLY get to sit while checking people out. The rest of the time they are the ones that pack out the shelves. At least around here. I don't like Aldi. And never been to a Wegmans. None were around here but I am told one finally opened up in an Up scale town. Haven't been there yet. The farm it replaced was a favorite. Not many farms left around here. They should rename New Jersey the Starbucks state :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom