Shopping for sneakers nowadays

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Does anyone find it frustrating shopping for sneakers now? The material they use now has that open mesh look. It looks like skin that has exfoliated to a gross degree. They look terrible when worn with casual street clothes. Gimme yesterday when there were cool looking running shoes that looked good with casual wear. :(

I haven't bought sneakers in years but I think what would put me off today is the price, even for crappy ones.

And, you know what Caslon, I think "sneakers" aren't made any more. At least what I came to know them to be. Now everything has to be specialized and have gel and air, etc.

Hope you find what makes you happy. I have a feeling it's going to be quite a search.

I don't wear them. Too expensive and not very attractive. I prefer casual leather shoes. As I have successfully rid myself of the evil addiction to excercise, I no longer need them.

Does anyone find it frustrating shopping for sneakers now? The material they use now has that open mesh look. It looks like skin that has exfoliated to a gross degree. They look terrible when worn with casual street clothes. Gimme yesterday when there were cool looking running shoes that looked good with casual wear. :(

I think that's the "gangsta" influence. They probably look just perfect with baggy clothes, backwards baseball cap, and shorts or pants top almost down to the knees. Watch out! Don't wear the wrong color in the wrong neighborhood.

I look for the least flashy white running shoes I can find, cheap, for kick around wear where I don't care if they get damaged.

I wear nice Reebok leather top walking shoes for formal occasions, white. I never wear my Reeboks when there's any chance of damage until they're starting to wear out.

Mesh? Eeechhh!

We've pretty much replaced our sneakers. DH and I both have a vast collection of Keens in multiple styles, mostly black. Most comfortable hybrid shoe/sandals ever! And they're waterproof and machine washable. We both wear them for work, for walking, and they're wonderful for vacations.

DH even wears his in winter, with socks, though I remind him that that is truly dorkish. He does keep multiple tennis shoes, and I have a pair of regular walking shoes I love.

Last edited:
Hope you find what makes you happy. I have a feeling it's going to be quite a search.

At least nowadays, you can shop the net, buy with no shipping cost and return, at $5 a pop for return shipping. Not bad, I don't mind that cost. I'm still looking.

I bought a pair of "Orthoheel" running shoes that were kinda nice looking. I returned them because the shoes have a hard heel arch insert. I mean...it's like a billiard ball cut in half they put in the shoe at the arch. It didn't line up with my arch. lol.

Last edited:
Hundred dollar sneakers - not that I buy them - are for the gym. I take classes so I buy cross trainers and they are only worn for that purpose.

Otherwise, I also don't wear sneakers for everyday; I have rain boots for torrential rain, and nice tied oxford-type shoes for a drizzle. Otherwise I wear real shoes.

Occasionally on a Sunday, if I'm wear very casual clothes, I'll wear plain black Reebox. But it's a very sporty look. I don't like it for the office.

People "live" in sneakers and flipflops on the w. coast. I've never seen the mesh. I have a pair of leather skechers. Try Macys or Ross. I try them on, since they are a shoe staple for me.

http://www.skechers.com/

Last edited:
The mesh stuff and super fancy ones are IMO for the "hoodz." Footwear varies widely according to social class. I can't imagine people wearing $200 basketball shoes to play basketball (although what do I know).

Walkers seem more appropriate for casual wear.

I used to sell runners. We haven't called them sneakers in a long time. If you're looking for just a casual shoe, try one of the lower end stores (Walmart, Target etc) I think you'll find some nice canvas type shoes. I THINK that's what you're looking for?

The sports stores are going to have every other kind of shoe imaginable, basketball, volleyball, cross trainers, track etc. There is a reason for the mesh in those shoes, believe me!

I've seen mesh on top of other materials, as a fashion statement not as anything that helps the shoe breathe.

And it makes no sense to wear special basketball, volleyball, track shoes for casual wear. Maybe cross-trainers but IMO it makes more sense to wear walkers for casual wear because that's what you do when you're being casual.

I've seen mesh on top of other materials, as a fashion statement not as anything that helps the shoe breathe.

And it makes no sense to wear special basketball, volleyball, track shoes for casual wear. Maybe cross-trainers but IMO it makes more sense to wear walkers for casual wear because that's what you do when you're being casual.

Oh lord I'm confused. Did I mistakenly suggest wearing a specialty shoe for casual wear????

Caslon, hope you find what you're looking for buddy

An added note...

Skechers is offering a refund due to false/claims ads, but I didn't buy them because of anything Kim Kardashian had to say :rolleyes: (i.e. they help you lose weight, etc.).

Style matters, but what is equally important to me, is the proper fit. For years I crammed my feet into very high heels & "cute" shoes that were uncomfortable. Never had a problem with my foot/feet until several months ago. I've had surgery on my toe, and have seen several podiatrists etc., & been told (by the doc that performed the surgery), I could lose my foot. Still have not recovered. Two of the podiatrists said the problem may have been caused by my sneakers being too short.

My point here is, make sure your shoes fit properly. Try them on, reach down and press your big toe area. Make sure it's not right up against the shoe. Do a few "laps" around the store before you buy.

You can skimp & buy knock-off or copy-cat designer clothes, but your feet are very important. Trust me when I tell you, most of the podiatrists' waiting rooms are packed (& you're lucky to get a speedy appt, as they're in surgery 3 days a week). Hope I didn't come off too strong here, but spend the money on proper fitting shoes, & save yoursself some major headaches later.

As Cerise's story illustrates, you can harm your feet wearing the wrong type of shoe.

I can't recall now if it was the Sketchers but I think it was, discovered that they may harm people rather than help them. Was it something to do with tendons?

For casual wear it's probably best to wear shoes that are intended for casual wear. I think the walkers are reasonable for that, being designed as sort of all around shoes rather than optimized for any particular athletic activity.

Would you wear spiked shoes for casual wear? Track shoes? Track shoes don't provide any ankle support, do they? Maybe ankle support is a good thing unless it gets in the way of a specific athletic activity.

What I heard on the news about Sketchers last night was this. They made false claims that their Shape-Up and Tone-Up lines would give you health/fitness benefits.

They were fined and buyers may be eligible for money back.

I wear solid black sneakers at work (dress code), but rarely wear them as everyday shoes. My every day shoes are brown oxfords in the cooler months or Birkenstocks in the summer. I have plantar fasciitis in both feet, so I need good quality footwear.

Before going to Disney in Feb, I decided that having some sneakers for 7 days of walking around the parks was a good idea. I hadn't bought sneakers in so long, I forgot just how ugly about 95% of them are! I settled on some, not so bad New Balance (my feet love New Balance) and got them for $40 at JC Penny. I was a happy camper and so were my feet, they were light weight and so darned comfortable, even after 12 hours in a park.

I got 3 pairs of great shoes for 108.00 bucks today at Sport Authority.
Convers basketball shoes red,white,black with a chevron and star on them for 39 bucks down from70. A paif of Tevas for about 25 bucks and a nice pair of water proof hiking books.

I am 46 and i like flashy athletic shoes to go with flashy ahtletic wear. I also have some plain white Nike shoes to go with white shorts or casual jeans. The women should understand the shoe thing! I only own about about 10 pairs of shoes so even though I like them to go with what I am wearing I am still a virgin so to speak.

I was freinds with Imelda Marcos' sister in the 80's and I have another freind who once gave away 1800 pairs of shoes to thin out her collection. Women have a very different view of shoes than us men. Freind # 2 also calls Imelda an amatuer (Love her). Her closets were bigger than my house in total (serious).

I saw some mesh Nike zeros todays and thought they looked pretty good. I would give them a shot. they are almost see-through in the spots that need the best ventilation. Very light weight too!

Zereh said:
Zappos is bound to have something you'll like. Fair warning to all shoe addicts though ~ it's dangerous! =P

Online Shoes.com is good too, both have free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom