"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Sorry Larry but that is funny! There is dh, me and ds. Dh is on disability so he basically does NOTHING in the house or out. (he works on our website which brings in money) He is not able to and I understand that. Ds does yard work, sometimes, litter box and garbage detail. I cook, clean, pay bills, yard work, laundry, minor repairs in the house and any thing else that needs to be done. I also have a mom in an assisted living that I have to take care of. I love to cook and dh doesn't know how but I really don't consider it a "chore". It's enjoyment for me. I guess it's in how you look at it. Dh would probably say "it's my job". I don't think he would actually voice that to me because he knows better. LOL
I don't know that I would say you're an unreasonable jackass. I would just say enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff. You seem to enjoy cooking, does it really seem like a chore for you? Is any marriage actually 50-50?

Barb

Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I hate to get involved but, I am on larry's side. Sounds like he's doing plenty his part to help.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
If you tasted her cooking, you would understand why i never made that offer.
That is too funny! I know exactly what you mean though.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

If you eat to live - yes.
If you live to eat - no.
If you want to eat together, nod your big ol J.A. head and agree with her!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Head Chef

Its not a big deal, and we havent even had this argument in a long time. For some reason, it just hit me, so while im online i decided to post it to see others opinions
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

larry i feel your pain.

I cook, I clean, I do hear luandry, I do my laundry, I vacuum, I take care of the cars (myself no one touches my autos unless nessecary),

I basiclly do the manly thing and the womenly thing. Im the compelte package. (pat pat pat on my back.

she is very lucky to have me and as your wife is to have you.

there are certian stregths and weaknesses each person brings to the relationship. The key is to finding who likes to do what so its not so much a chore, liek you cooking in this case but equally dividing up the stuff. and like I think it was andy said.

offer to switch. switch some switch all. Show her that you appricate her and the stuff she does but she also needs to appricate you. its a give and take, a comprimise between both parties involved.

She does need to appricate you also.

I know my situation is very and i mean very lopsided but alot of these thing i dont look at chores. Its stuff I enjoy doing (sort of) but I would rather do it. thats just me.

If it comes up dont argue. tell you know she does alot around house and if she wants lets swap some chores.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

well, for fathers day, I told her the best present i could have from her, was for me to come home from work and see her mowing the front lawn ( something she has never done in her life)

Needless to say, that didnt go over well. Id go into more detail, but if i do, ill get kicked out of the forum.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I'm with Andy M. There are a number of duties necessary to make the home run. It is fitting and appropriate to divide those duties among the members of the household. If it is possible to have a duty / responsibility / chore assigned to oneself that you enjoy, great! Actually, the entire family benefits from the fact that you like to cook. I have always tried to find a way to make chores "go down" easier.

I am also with Quicksilver. DC can do so may things, solve family debates is not one of them.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Just because you enjoy it does not make it any less of a chore IMO. I am on your side Larry. I love to cook, but that does not mean I always feel like doing it. There are times when I just want to sit on the couch and watch TV instead of cooking, even though I enjoy it.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love cooking and do 99.9% of it. Paul is a wonderful cook though and I love it when he comes in to the kitchen to help out.

Cooking every night does get to be a chore (anything you HAVE to do over and over becomes one) ...so once in awhile ( like last night) I'll give him a little chore to do. It makes us both feel good. He gets to feel good because he helps me out. I get to feel good because I feel like part of the burden gets taken care of that night. Last night he made some noodles with feta. Very easy and something that I could have done but..on a busy night one thing that I didn't have to do.