Should cooking be considered a chore, if you enjoy it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an interesting debate. Buck and I never really discussed which one of us did what. Somehow things got done and neither one of us really complained, unless we were feeling bad/sick. We fell into a natural rhythm of getting things done that worked for 32 years. Of course, the dwarves (5 children) carried their weight when they were at home. You want to hear complaining?!!!

Now that it's just me, I feel overwhelmed some days when I have to do everything by myself. We didn't think it was a 50/50 split in a marital partnership. It's really 100% on each person's part. That's what worked for us.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:) OMG, I would be so happy if Dh would help with a few things around the house but he dos not and it makes me so tired sometimes I just wish he would at least pick up after himself and maybe sweep up the porch and some other things. But after over eleven years of marriage I have not been able to inspire him to take some pride in our home. :(:(

I'll have to side with you, Larry. Just because you like it makes it no less of a "chore". My husband LOVES to work in the yard and I "ain't" about to tell him it doesn't count as a chore!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ermm:

Well, you knew that someone was going to run to a dictionary at some point! According to my Encarta dictionary there are two definitions for chore. The first definition is routine jobs that have to be done around the house. The second is unpleasant tasks. So, going by the first definition, you can either enjoy or hate chores, as they are just jobs that have to be done. Under the second definition, cooking would be a chore for Mrs. Larry but not for Mr. Larry. :-p

:)Barbara

I agree that a chore is a chore - regardless of whether or not you like doing it/are good at it or not/always end up being the one doing it. If it's something that needs to be done, then do it. Being that I'm a single mom - most of the "chores" end up being done by me, though my kids do love to spend time in the kitchen creating. That is the one place that I can always guarantee they will have no complaints about having to do something.
Last night my oldest daughter made dinner - noone allowed in the kitchen. She made curly macaroni noodles and angel hair pasta - the angel hair in the middle of the plate surrounded by the little curly's - then we had a choice of pesto or vodka sauce - and then fresh grated parmesan on top. Very yummy dinner! And she cleaned up afterwards. :)
Larry - your wife is missing out on a lot of fun in mowing that lawn!! haha.

I never have or ever will consider cooking a chore. I love cooking and find it not only relaxing but pleasurable and satisfying. My friends, we're all retired, can't understand why I continue to cook full meals for myself now that I am alone. Are they kidding? You wouldn't believe what they eat just so they don't have to cook.
I'm a serious cook and a good one so my meals are all full meals and are delicious. Why on earth would anyone sit down to a mediocre meal? I don't consider cooking a chore, but I fully understand that if this is something you don't enjoy then it becomes a chore. Emptying the dishwasher and folder clothes are a chore. :rolleyes:

Splitting the household jobs doesn't have to be exactly down the middle. My husband enjoyed washing the car and cleaning the garage. I enjoy cooking and cleaning my house. He did this - I did that and sometimes we did chores together. Made it more fun.

I don't consider cooking a chore as I never do it if I don't feel like it. If I don't feel like cooking or don't have the time DH will cook or most likely barbeque and if not we'll end up having Marmite on toast or something (of course it helps not having kids :)

If she hates cooking, it is a chore for her.
If you love cooking, it is not a chore for you.
However, if you are cooking for her and it is a chore for her because she hates it so much, then you are doing the chore for her.
If she does something for you that you truly hate and it is a chore for you, then the only way it would not be a chore for her is if she really likes doing it, however, if she really hates doing it, then it becomes a chore for her too. If she is really enjoying doing something that you hate to do, she is doing the chore for you.
If you do something for her that she truly hates, the only way it is a chore for you is if you truly hate doing it but if you like doing it, it is no longer a chore but something you enjoy doing but you are still both doing each others chores. Hmmmmm.....

I've managed to confuse myself.
Please disregard this response.
Thank you :wacko:

If she hates cooking, it is a chore for her.
If you love cooking, it is not a chore for you.
However, if you are cooking for her and it is a chore for her because she hates it so much, then you are doing the chore for her.
If she does something for you that you truly hate and it is a chore for you, then the only way it would not be a chore for her is if she really likes doing it, however, if she really hates doing it, then it becomes a chore for her too. If she is really enjoying doing something that you hate to do, she is doing the chore for you.
If you do something for her that she truly hates, the only way it is a chore for you is if you truly hate doing it but if you like doing it, it is no longer a chore but something you enjoy doing but you are still both doing each others chores. Hmmmmm.....

I've managed to confuse myself.
Please disregard this response.
Thank you :wacko:

Hey, I got and understood every word. But then, I have a strange mind. Read my blogs. :LOL:

In my case , if I am too tired or just don't feel like cooking and I have to cook , then it is a chore.

Like Andy M. suggested, I think you need to get away from the whole concept of "chores" and consider each task as something that needs to be done in order to maintain your household. In my generation, there were/are few men who would assume the role of household cook, or even consider that they are 50% responsible for running the household. And, as much as I enjoy cooking, there are nights when I just plain run out of ideas and motivation - not to mention the cleanup. Yuk. I think you are doing just fine, and have nothing to apologize for. She should be grateful you enjoy cooking - means better eats for everybody!

Back
Top Bottom