"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Shower Doors or Shower Curtain

I'm getting my bathroom remodeled with a smooth acrylic unit that goes over the entire tub & shower and will not get moldy. Tile grout is a pain!

The estimator said I could save about $475.00 by not getting shower doors and having a rod and curtain instead. I had shower curtains many years ago that were made out of a plastic that would crack, tear and get scratchy, and then CLING to you, and get moldy. How much do the better clothlike ones cost and how often do they need to be replaced? Is it a pain changing the curtains with those loop things (never did it - ex-hubby did)?

I'm trying to find out which most people prefer, shower doors or the curtain, even if you took the initial cost out of the equation. What's less trouble and easiest to keep clean? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We had glass shower doors in both bathrooms but did not replace them when we redid the bathrooms. I use shower curtains with a liner and if I don't want to reuse it, just toss it and get another liner. My dd just built a new house and had her master bath designed to need neither. I like that idea, but couldn't have used it in our renovation.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Head Chef

IMO, go with the doors. I have had both, and wish I had doors now. With the cutain and liner setup, I have to remove them to clean them effectively, and have to replace fairly often. When I had shower doors, I just cleaned them in situ, and done.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Girl
I'm getting my bathroom remodeled with a smooth acrylic unit that goes over the entire tub & shower and will not get moldy. Tile grout is a pain!

I'm trying to find out which most people prefer, shower doors or the curtain, even if you took the initial cost out of the equation. What's less trouble and easiest to keep clean? Thanks for the help.
I agree. Keeping up with tile grout is a pain in the you know what?

As for doors vs. curtain, I've had both and much prefer curtains. Cleaning the track of the shower doors was as much of a pain as cleaning grout.

We currently have a shower curtain and have had it for nearly 12 years. It's an anti-mildew curtain. When I bought it I thought it was a bit pricey at about $15, but it has been perfect. We live in a very hot, humid area of the country and our house isn't air-conditioned, so the conditions are ripe for mildew. I've never had the curtain mildew.

Just to be certain, I make it a point to wash it about once a month during the summer. I simply toss it in with a batch of towels and it comes out perfectly.

It hasn't cracked and it doesn't stick to me when I'm showering. It's white and I have put a decorative cloth curtain over it, on the room side, to match the decor of my bathroom.

We'll be remodeling our house in the future and will have to redo 2 bathrooms completely. No shower doors are in our plans.

Another thing to consider with the doors is that getting in and out of the shower is a little more difficult with the tub area somewhat obstructed along half its length. That's something to think about if you will have someone who has a physical problem. For me, my mother-in-law comes to mind.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Doors over curtains every time. I cannot stand the billowing, clinging curtains.

Also, $475 seems a lot for a door, installed.

If you go with the door, scrubbing bubbles is your friend.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We are moving to a new flat sometime next year, which we will completely remodel (thus who knows when we actually get to move in... though Cris will get it in his possession either at the end of the year or the beginning of the year....)
We will definitely install a door. We are getting sick of yucky mouldy build up on the curtain and the side of the tub behind the curtain that keeps coming back no matter what we do.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Door!! Hate those curtains that reach out and touch me.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow! I'm truly amazed. What kind of "possessed" shower curtains have you guys had? I've never had one cling to me and I wasn't born yesterday. Never heard of that problem before. I'll have to ask my friends about it.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
Senior Cook

We remodeled our bathrooms last year, and instead of replacing the shower doors, bought the same curved stainless rods that are in a lot of the hotels, now days. We installed curtains with liners, and just love them.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have one bathroom with doors and the other has a rod and cloth curtain with a liner. No problem with the clining. One hint we picked up from somewhere is to ucut off the hem of the plastic liner, thus avoiding the grimy stuff that accumulates on the bottom of the curtain. Oh yes, always have them stretched across the rod. Don't leave them pulled back when they are wet.

Love the curved rod idea. Where did you get yours Walt?