Sick Pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Does anyone feel depressed when your pet is not happy? My other dog w/diabetes is trying to show me she feels good by barking when I return home. As soon as she gets her dinner she is down. The other dog I had pu t to sleep in October was the same way. Loving me till the end. The diabetes is really getting the best of this one. After having it for more than 6 years, I really feel she just knows it isn't going to get better. I keep putting it off and the vet gives her fluids and antibiotics. I just can't do this anymore. I think I am in bad mood because I can't make this go away. the other shi zu is getting blind and is deaf but does not have the diabetes, thankfully. I am not being fair to the girl w/diabetes who knows t he fluid coming from her is not urine. Washing her bedding and sweaters sure is heartbreaking. She is one smart dog. When we go to the vet she whines like crazy. They all do. Seems to get the worst when we are having them put down. She can't tell me she wants to go. I have had this feeling so often to make it end. I just can't prolong someone being miserable. It has been a committment I had to give the injections twice day. she was my dog and I know it was my obligation not to just destroy her life. She did get the best treatment I could give her. I just have to stop hee hawing around and make a decision. But is it hard!

thanks for understanding.

Its VERY hard when your pet is sick, especially when you know they probably won't get better. I've been there, I know how you feel. If you feel as I do (that your dogs are your children) its so hard to watch them suffer. Its sad, its depressing and its not fair.
I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I know what you are going through.
Hang in there -
Jennifer

Oh, In the Kitchen, my heart aches for you. It is such a hard decision to make but you have to do what's right for you and your pup. I know you have done everything possible for her to make her life comfortable. Not everyone is willing to do that. She's had the best life that any dog could wish for.

I was in that state a few months ago. I selfishly held onto Skeeter for at least a month too long, knowing he was miserable, before I took him to the vet to be put down. I will admit that as hard it was to do, I felt nothing but relief when I got home. He was not suffering anymore.

Itk my heart goes out to you. I had to have my cat put down in August.
Lord knows I really didn't want to. It's just something that has to be done.
It's not easy. It's never easy. But would you rather have her suffer ?
I couldn't bare to watch Disney suffer.

Oh my In The Kitchen, my heart aches for you. We've been through this with our first Pug, Norman. He'd been going downhill - Vet said a brain tumor - but every day he'd rally and be as close to his usual perky self as he could. The last day he wouldn't eat or drink - he laid in my lap all day, looking up at me now and then - but I just sat and held him until Bob came home. We took him in to the Vet and we knew it was time. His ashes are here on the boat with us!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You'll know in your heart when its time.

Sorry to hear what you're going through, In the Kitchen. I had a situation like Half Baked in April. I had a cat who was in a lot of pain but who every now and then perked up a little, mostly in the company of one of our other cats, her son. But she obviously wasn't going to get any better and she was really suffering. I worried that it was too soon, but afterwards I was relieved for her sake. Not a day goes by without me thinking about her, especially as so many people on this site seem to be going through something similar at the moment.

You've given your dog a happy life and the very best care. I'm sorry to hear that things are difficult now but I'm sure you'll have very happy memories of her.

ITK, those dogs are part of your family. You've got every right in the world to feel sad. I know that when it's Lily's turn Paul and I will be heart broken. We love our pets just as much as if they were people and they love us right back.

Oh ITK, I'm so sorry you are at this point with your dog. I know how much you love them and I know how hard it has been. I think you have made the decision already and are just steeling yourself for the actual trip. Why don't you call and see if your vet will come out to the house. Many will. Ours does. Its more expensive, but it can be worth it to not have the poor baby upset on their last day. My heart goes out to you.

Back Again

I walk in there feeling like my world is going to stop and the doc says lets check to see how the blood is. One, two, three does so quick now rather than before. Must have invested in new machine. Comes back w/smile on his face and said her blood is perfect. Wouldn't want it better. Gave her injection for loss of fluid and told me to call him Monday. It must have made her feel good cause she acts like she is happy again. This is really wearing me down. I had to bathe her everyday for the urine or fluid she lost cause she doesn' t like it herself. I am just shocked that she's back home again! I truly thought the way she acted like it was over. You think she is munipulating me in some way? She is durn smart.

I thank you all for your kindness but feel embarrassed that I even wrote about it. They DO affect your mood. Now that she acts perky makes me feel relieved. Please excuse me that I bothered all of you. I know you all would feel the same way I do. Good feeling to know these creatures mean so much and that you protect and feed them.

Thanks from me and my dogs. Have to give her another bath. Bet she is getting tired of this. I know I am.

Hey, ITK, don't apologize - we love good food and most of us love our pets even more.
Can the vet give you some kind of product to use (I'm thinking a spray bottle) of something to use so you do not have to bathe her everyday? I can see how that would get old real quick (for you and the dog).

I lost my last Toy Poodle in April of last year. I was heart broken and felt so alone. Bijou had been sick for quite a while and there was nothing that I could do for her except to show her lots of love. She died from Cancer and I said that I would never get another pet.

That lasted about 4 months and then I got Jolie who is the love of my life. When Jolie isn't feeling well I am very sad and I hold and confort her and I know she really appreciates it.

In the Kitchen, I hope your cat gets better instead of stays the same or gets worse. I have been back and forth to the vet several times too - each time saying my goodbyes and each time returning with him with a sigh of relief. It is a roller coaster of emotions - I feel for you.

ITK, I am glad that your girl is feeling better now, and let's hope she is on the right track back to health.

Pets are a part of your family, and have a big place in your life and heart. I have lost a pet a few months ago, though, thankfully, he went away peacefully and lived his life out in full scale just until the moment came, I was helpless in my grief and I still miss him very much. So I can only imagine how painful it can be to watch your loved one suffer and not knowing what to do. If it helps, we are here to listen and give you a shoulder to lean upon any time. And hey who knows, some times the sincere wellwishes from this forum member can do some wonders!!

My very very best wishes and huge (((hugs))) to anyone whose furry members are in any kind of danger, it is truly a situation where you can't win... you can't stand watching them suffer helplessly, and you can't stand losing them for ever.

I have posted this link before, but I would like to reintroduce this wonderful poem once again, it helped me cope a lot, and I believe it will do the same to many.

The Rainbow Bridge

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom