"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

cws4332, your writing is so descriptive and lyrical. you should seriously look at some form of professional form of writing - you'd be a natural.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'd give up hearing. I already know sign language and am familiar with Deaf culture. I would miss music but I want to be able to read, "smell the roses", "taste life" and feel the touch of a friend or family member.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
cws4332, your writing is so descriptive and lyrical. you should seriously look at some form of professional form of writing - you'd be a natural.
Ha-ha--that is what I do for a living. Thank you. Or did you mean it sarcastically?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Ha-ha--that is what I do for a living. Thank you. Or did you mean it sarcastically?
dead serious. you have a gift for rich, expressive writing that is quite remarkable. i enjoy reading your thought provoking observations and colorfully depicted scenes. what do you write for a living?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

All kinds of stuff-articles, short stories, ghost writing, and technical documentation. From the time I was 3 years old, I wanted to play with words. I can't think of a better way to make a living.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

no question i would give up smell. the most important to me is sight. i use my eyes for everything that is meaningful in my life. my dear families faces, my books, my sewing and crafts. cooking requires reading. need to hear and wouldn't want to give up the touch of my kitties and all my children babies.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I keep being told I have no taste...

Seriously, it would have to be smell, Shrek agrees.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I have virtually no sense of smell as it is (family trait), but I need to see my kids, touch my wife, taste good food and hear the blues(and to have the ability to rearrange the previous 4 as needed)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have to agree with you on giving up smell, although I could go on after losing any of them with love in my heart. I have known someone who was blind but saw many things much clearer than I. I have known several deaf people who "listen" better than most people, and when my uncle was paralyzed and unable to feel much sensation at all, he found comfort in the memories of how it felt to be held and touched. I would dearly miss any of them, but would be ok. Even smell would be truly missed when bread was baking, or the neighbor was smoking his pipe, or even when spring's lilacs were in full bloom. I am so thankful for what I have, and I am blessed. If I lost one of my senses, I would still be blessed.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
Master Chef

My sense of smell went haywire a few years ago, which took my sense of taste with it. Some of my favorite things started tasting and smelling like a gas station bathroom; a bad one. Once menopause ended, some of it came back. I lost something like 40 lbs (which I needed to lose). People kept telling me I must be happy to have lost the weight. The simple answer is no, losing the weight wasn't worth the loss of my joy in cooking and eating. The senses came back, and I'm back to being overweight. I'd rather be fat than not enjoy good food (you have to understand I'm not a junk food junkie; I cook and eat good healthy food most of the time, just too much of it!).

This is a discussion I have with a couple of friends, one who is blind. I was blind for a few months (an eye disease that, thank heaven, was cured). I think I'd go with the sense of taste and smell, even though I hated it when it happened to me. I'd have a hard row to hoe if I could not read. Hearing? well, sometimes I think that most people my age cannot hear anyway. Too much loud rock in their 20s, or the other half, too much artillery fire and flight line engines in their 20s.