"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste: which one would you live without?

if you had to give up one of your senses in order to continue living, which one would you choose to give up? we've all pondered this question since we were kids - i know i did, and i think i chose "smell" or "touch" at various times, considering those to be my lesser senses. today, however, i think i would say sight....which is your very favorite sense(s) and why?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Everymom

I'd give up smell. I could live without that. I don't know which is my favorite of the others though. Its a toss up between sight and hearing.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Executive Chef

i would choose smell before sight too, if it weren't for taste being dependent on smell, or so i thought...is it?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hearing. I have sensitive hearing and so many sounds drive me up a wall.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Everymom

Nope. They complement one another but are not dependent upon one another.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

my answer can be explained in an irish joke.

an old irish couple were arguing loudly while driving along the coast road home from derry.

after a sharp bend in a particarly rough stretch of road, a policeman pulled over their car.

the garda walked up to the car and tapped on the driver's window. "jesus mary and joseph, man. didn't you notice your wife fell out of the car".

"oh thank god, officer. i thought my hearing had gone..."

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been living with intermittent loss of my sense of smell for some time now and it's not the end of the world.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The sense of smell is one of the strongest "sense" memories we have. Close your eyes, think of the smell of autumn...the smell of the dirt road to the cabin...I can close my eyes and smell Chanel 5 when I think of my grandmother. I can taste it in my mouth...I lost my sense of smell when I was in a car accident and broke my nose. The irony is that it came back 10-fold. I can smell things other people can't. (We were out walking in the back 40 not long ago--I said, "someone's grilling burgers." My DH looked at me and said, "oh, super nose, 10 miles away someone's having a cookout and you smell it." We laughed, but when we drove into the village later, there was a charity BBQ in the village (not 10 miles, only 8 miles away). I could still smell it in the air 2 days later when I went back into the village. I have very strong scent memories and a very sensitive nose. (I thought everyone's nose worked like mine--guess not.
)

Most of my scent memories/recognitions are good, but some are awful. I hate the smell of bananas--but then, when the nerves were damaged after I broke my nose, everything smelt of bananas. I hate the smell of vodka--it makes me gag, but supposedly vodka doesn't smell (it does to me).

I'd probably give up my sense of hearing before I'd give up my sense of touch or sight. It would be hard for me to make a living if I could not see--it would also be hard for me to be me if I could not "touch." I'd hate to not be able to feel my DH's skin, or his hair, when I touch him. Or the softness of the fur of my dogs...But I could manage without my sense of hearing--my dad does. My Missy dog did. I wouldn't like it--but given that I spend so much of my time in silence working in my head, being able to hear is not the sense on which I rely the most.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef

you are so right about the sense of smell being a powerful carrier of memories, persons, places, moods, etc. patchouli always brings me back to 1970s, black light posters, crosby stills nash, and harman kardon speakers. honeysuckle is evocative of my aunt's cottage in maryland, and white shoe polish is her too. crayola crayons and cilantro bouquets are my babygirl. hot liquid tar always reminds me of this new jersey bakery in the summer-exquisite pastries! my mom is pond's cold cream, my first boyfriend, butterscotch and bicycle metal....but music makes the sense of sound an absolute deal breaker too! what's that leave, sense of touch, maybe?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--but if you couldn't feel the way bread dough is when you knead it and it will be perfect--or the touch of child's face...or, the touch of my mother's cheek when I kissed her good-bye in April...or the sensation of the lake water trickling through my fingers as I drag my fingers along side the boat...could I live without that? If I hadn't been borne with being able to hear my mother's voice...then yes, I could live without that, but to give it up now? I'd rather hold onto the touch of my mother's hand against mine than her voice in my ear...(especially the sound of her voice yelling at me to come in at dark...). It is a tough one, but there are so many gadgets to help one hear--there are very few, if any, to help one remember the sensation of touch or smell.

And look at all the memories the thought of smell evoked for you--pond's cold cream...another one...Lilacs at the end of my grandma's driveway when we visited in May...gas plant...and the smell of chickens. The burning peat bogs in the fall when my parents drove through the dark to my grandparents. I love the smell of burning peat bogs...

People don't have nearly the sensitive sense of smell that dogs do--the first time I took my first rescue lab to Lake of the Woods, she was beside herself 30 miles from the Lake. My brother and I had to drag her out of the Lake at the end of the day--and she was so exhausted. We had to lock her in the cabin to keep her from going in the Lake. Every year thereafter, whenever we were within "smelling distance" of the Lake, she went wild, even in her crate. I flew her in to Winnipeg with me one year when my parents lived on the CDN side of the Lake. We were 2 hours from "home" and she was beside herself. I know she smelt the Lake. I did, but not until we were about 30 miles out. When I let her out of the crate at my folks, she bolted down the driveway to the dock and DOVE in the water.