Sights on the way to the grocery store:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Anyone else have some interesting things that they see on the way to buy groceries? We commonly see pronghorn antelope grazing in the pastures along with cattle.

i-rNBQr33-M.jpg

We live an a very rural area. Lots of farming.

Recently we had some significant storms that resulted in some minor tornadoes. My trek to the grocery story last Tuesday saw trees down and loads and loads of people working with chain saws to clean up the damage.

Today was still some of the vision of tree clean up, along with managing the damage of homes that were, literally, flattened by large oak trees.

Along with the storm recovery, the fields of corn are awash with the golden sway of the tassels on the stalks of corn. Soy beans are filling out and the tobacco is getting bigger and bigger. Some of the tobacco has been damaged because of the heavy rains we've had in recent weeks.

I can't imagine being a farmer and I soooooooooo truly appreciate all their hard work.

We live an a very rural area. Lots of farming.

Recently we had some significant storms that resulted in some minor tornadoes. My trek to the grocery story last Tuesday saw trees down and loads and loads of people working with chain saws to clean up the damage.

Today was still some of the vision of tree clean up, along with managing the damage of homes that were, literally, flattened by large oak trees.

Along with the storm recovery, the fields of corn are awash with the golden sway of the tassels on the stalks of corn. Soy beans are filling out and the tobacco is getting bigger and bigger. Some of the tobacco has been damaged because of the heavy rains we've had in recent weeks.

I can't imagine being a farmer and I soooooooooo truly appreciate all their hard work.

Here the field corn that most dryland farmers grow is barely a foot tall. Corn planting was late this year, and even in a normal year, harvest isn't until September.

Wheat is late too... normally they would testing to see if it's ready to pick, but now it's still green yet. The cold wet spring this year really messed with the normal schedule, but around here nobody complains about too much moisture. That's tempting fate.

I live in one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It is a suburb, with 160,000+ population. And right in the middle of it, is a 5,500 acre working cattle and horse ranch. I drive past it almost daily.

I have photos that I shot of the ranch, but they are buried in my archives. But, I did find this shot at the ranches' website (brinkmannranch.com).

CD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 9.04.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 9.04.28 PM.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 109
This goes back a couple of years, but on the way back from the store I noticed unusual activity by the Coast Guard and Navy boats on the river. They were going back and forth, and at first I thought they were searching for something. After I came around the bend I saw what it was all about. A nuclear sub was leaving the shipyard. You can't see it very well in this picture, but a number of sailors were standing on the sub as it was leaving. The guns on the bow of the Navy boats were manned.

Attachments

• Sub.jpg
    Sub.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 112
I live half a block from the Elizabeth River in southeastern Virginia and I drive down the road alongside it on my way to the store. Our neighborhood civic league created a park with a memorial to cancer victims at the end of my street. This is a picture of the memorial. There's a lot of shipping and Navy activity in the river. Between the posts to the left, you can see a ship in the river. It's at the deperming station, where Navy ships are demagnetized before going to sea. Here's more information about it:
The Lambert’s Point Deperming Station is run by Naval Station Norfolk. Through a complicated combination of heavy labor and electrical engineering, teams work to make ships as magnetically invisible as possible. The station is only one of a few in the world, and is the only station that can reduce magnetic signatures for aircraft carriers.

“It’s like a stealth thing,” said Mike Johnson, a suspenders-wearing, white-bearded veteran of the station who collaborates with his counterparts on the West Coast as well as stations in other countries in Europe.

The military has been deperming ships at Lambert’s Point since the early 1940s. It became a process to defend against the Germans who, at the beginning of World War II, developed a trigger for mines that was sensitive to the magnetic field of a passing ship.
https://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/article_acd7117c-8529-11e8-848c-db1203677306.html
2019-07-03-17-23-04.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting pics, all! I live on the edge of a town out in the middle of nowhere and take a back road to the grocery store - it's quicker that way. Often I'll see a roadrunner (and sometimes its enemy, the coyote :)).

There's a big quail population here, and I love it when I get to stop and watch a covey scurrying across the road - especially when their babies are right behind them running as fast as their little legs can carry them. :wub::LOL:

Well, as I may have mentioned before,
we live in Cowboyville, really!
The Five C's of Arizona:
Copper
Citrus
Cotton
Climate
Cattle
I see gorgeous Black Angus Cattle and a Cowboy or two now and again.
In fact, at the end of our road is one of the large Cattle Ranches in Arizona
that stretches for miles and I see the Cows regularly.

I live country too. Every Spring and Fall the most I see on the road is the butt end of a huge tractor crawling along to its next field, which could be 10 clics down the road. :ermm: :mad: very difficult to sit behind.

GG I had never heard of 'demagnitizing' before. Interesting! Thank you!

Last edited:
One day this past spring I saw a flock of 7 wild turkeys just before I crossed the South Platte River as I was going into Sterling. Didn't have time to grab my phone for a shot, but I've seen turkeys four times in the last 3 months at various points near the river. That occasion was the only time I saw them within the city limits.

RP, you reminded me

One day coming home in a horrible hurry and going much too fast, even for a straight country road that barely has traffic, flew over the rise and slammed on the brakes wondering which side of the road had the shallowest ditch.

A flock of 25/30 turkeys smack dab in the middle of the road. I was lucky (and so were they).

I was rather angry with myself for allowing something like that to almost happen. Wild turkeys have certainly made a HUGE comeback.

The grocery store is just a couple of miles through this little town here, so we see nothing of wildlife except some interesting looking teenagers.
Living in this small city, I don't normally see wildlife, either. Cities and towns also have interesting sights, though. There must be something - some unusual architecture or artwork?

Back
Top Bottom