"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Mine would have to be pulled pork. Been making it for 40+ years.

Carolina Pulled pork
I posted it a long time ago. It is truly easy and delicious.
1 pork shoulder or butt, bone in or out--any size--the cooking time is the same for a 3#or 8# piece.
BBQ rub of your choice or just rub the meat with a mixture of coarse ground black pepper and brown sugar.
Let marinate 8 hours or overnight.
Method 1--IF you have a smoker that can control the temp (I have a sidebox smoker and can keep the temp at 200*-250*) smoke the meat for 4 hours, keeping the temp low. Then place the meat in a 250* oven for 4 hours to finish. It will be meltingly tender and have a wonderful smoky flavor.

Method 2 (and this is the one I have really used for 30 years). Place the meat in a 250* oven for 8 hours uncovered . I have often done them overnight. It will still have the melting tenderness. You will have to slap your hands to have any left over as you take it out of the oven.

When ready to serve pull chunks of meat off and then "pull" the meat into shreds by pulling between 2 forks. Do not discard the fat--mix it in. This is not a low fat dish and to really enjoy, use it!!!

For a traditional Carolina serving method very lightly moisten the meat with sweetened vinegar (1 qt. vinegar + 1/4C sugar and 2TBS coarse black pepper). It should be SO little that you don't even know you have put it on.

To warm before serving put the vinegared meat in a pan (black iron frying pan or Le Creuset is good) and cover tightly. Heat at 250* until heated.

To serve, offer bbq sauces, cole slaw (in the Carolinas, it goes ON the sandwich), baked beans, rolls, and banana pudding. For fall bbq's Brunswick Stew is also offered.

For BBQ sauce here is my tomato based:
1 bottle ketchup (28 or 32 oz.)
1 ketchup bottle of cider vinegar
6 oz. yellow mustard
6 oz. worcestershire sauce
1/2C brown sugar
3 oz. liquid smoke
2-3 TBS coarse black pepper
Tabasco to your taste
Simmer for 45 minutes.
If you use commercial bbq sauce I suggest diluting them 1/2 with vinegar for this use.
Eastern NC uses vinegar sauces--sweetened vinegar with 1/4C (at least!!) cayenne pepper OR black pepper. It is too hot for me!
South Carolina uses a mustard based sauce

Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Master Chef

I'm resurecting this thread because we need more great signature dishes. The ones given are wonderful and I thank the posters.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Killer Cheesecake

This is the only cheesecake I make. Loosen your belts, folks. There's a picture of it somewhere around here that I'll try to find.

2 cups chocolate graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup sugar (you can use less if you want because the graham crackers have sugar in them)
1/3 cup butter, melted
three 8-oz packages cream cheese, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
one 8-oz carton sour cream
1 T vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet choc chips
12-oz jar caramel topping
1 cup chopped toasted pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients, stir well. Firmly press mixture on bottom and 1 inch up sides of lightly greased 9-in springform pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Beat chream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom, as needed (this part is impo'tant--mud). Sire in sour cream and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared crust and bake at 325 for 1 hour 5 minutes. The center will not be completely set. Turn oven off and partially open oven door (I stick a wooden spoon in the door and "close"-mud). Leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours. Carefully release from pan and transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

Now for the killer part!

Make a chocolate ganache Basically heat some heavy cream and then melt a few squares of good quality chocolate in it until you have a thinnish spreading consistency. Spread warm ganache over cheesecake and chill 15 minutes. (I used to melt choc chips in butter but it gets too stiff when cool.)

Combine caramel topping and pecans in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes. Spread over chocolate, cool completely. Serve immediately, or cover and chill.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Hospitality Queen

I need to see a photo, mudbug....and perhaps one sent to my home....

Any of you make any of my dishes regularly?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

jkath, the photo is gone. I posted it a couple of years ago when I was getting started here and it was gigantic big. I s'pect it got removed to free up space.

Darn, now I'll have to make another one soon..........
Old 02-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

In my circle of acquaintances I'm known as the "Potato Salad Lady", since I love making all sorts of different variations. The following is my most requested version:

"Danish Blue Cheese Potato Salad"

3 pounds "White Rose" potatoes (or any other thin-skinned
potato of your choice)
1 cup minced red or Vidalia onion - or shallots
6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 16-ounce container of sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese, or other blue of choice, + extra for sprinkling over the top for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
Parsley for garnish

Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender when pierced with a thin knife or skewer and drain. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm, cut them into large chunks and place in a large bowl with the onion and the hard-boiled eggs. In another bowl mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, blue cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour over the potatoes and mix gently. Garnish with the extra crumbled blue cheese over the top & parsley sprigs around the edge of the platter or bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Corinne's Seafood & Corn Chowder

1/2 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 8 ounce bottles clam juice
1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
16 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels (yellow and white blend)
8 ounces bay scallops, rinsed and drained
8 ounces small cooked shrimp, rinsed and drained
12 ounces crab meat, rinsed and squeezed dry
8 ounces imitation crab meat, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
2 cups heavy cream
Fresh Thyme for garnish

Instructions: In a large sauce pan or stock pot, melt butter over medium heat.* Sauté onions and garlic in butter until onion is tender.* Add flour and whisk constantly for two minutes.

Add clam juice, chicken broth, salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and thyme.* Bring to a boil.

Stir in corn.* Return to a boil.* Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Stir in scallops.* Simmer, covered, for five more minutes, until scallops are opaque.

Add shrimp, crab meat, imitation crab meat, scallions, and cream.* Stir gently to combine.* Heat through on low heat, do not boil. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.

Makes about 10 cups.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
These all sound so good! I don't have a "signature", maybe with more practice I can be as good as you!
Old 02-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #19
Master Chef

Oh, I especially want the potato and the macaroni salad. Can you tell I'm readyfor summer?

Mine is probably artichoke dip. It is an easy take on the traditional recipes. Take a can of artichoke hearts or bottoms. Drain & put in your food processor. Then a package of good seasons italian dressing mix (I used to put in all the seasonings separately, but what the heck, let someone else do the work), and 1/4 cup of parmesan or romano cheese. Yes, you can actually get away with the stuff in the green canister (although I prefer it with the good stuff)! A half-cup of mayo (this is where I do not compromise, it must be full fat, low fat is too sweet). Oh, I almost forgot, a few dashes of the hot sauce of your choice. Puree until smooth. Put in an oven proof container and bake at 400 until the top is brown and bubbly (about 20 minutes if I remember right). No matter what I make to bring to a party, this is what they want. "Claire is here! The dip is here!" When I'm doing it at home I serve it with slices of good french bread. When I'm bringing it to someone's house I put it in a tin foil container and use crackers (usually triscuits).
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I don't know if this is my signature dish but it is one of my favorites.

Authentic Italian Feast Style- Sausage and Peppers Recipe