Signature Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im the same as Michelemarie. I really dont have one. Pasta sauce maybe? I make a little of everything. Japanese to Spanish to Russian fare.
Great question though! :chef:

Deadly Sushi,
I'm just getting into Russian fare, or more specifically Georgian recipes.
They are very healthy. I'm having trouble locating some of the spices I need though. Going to check out Trader Joe's to see if they have them.

Quick Pecan Bread

This is my favorite quick bread recipe. It is delicious and so easy.

In a large bowl combine; 1 box of Pecan cake mix (dry), 1 small package instant French Vanilla pudding (dry), 4 eggs, 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup water. Mix all together and add 1 cup chopped pecans. Pour into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of your bread pans. Turn out on a wire rack and cool. I usely wrap one loaf and freeze for later.

Note: I didn't have any pecans today so I used walnuts. Worked out fine.
Today I used for the first time, Crisco with Flour No-Stick spray in the bread pans and it worked great.

This dish is not really my signature but definitely one of my favorites. It is easy to prepare and it appeals to people of different culinary backgrounds. Here it is once again:

KOTOPOULO LEMONATO (Lemon Roast Chicken)

Serves: 4 Preparation: 10 min + 30 min marination Cooking: 1 hr

Ingredients:
1 medium-size chicken, about 1.8kg, thoroughly cleaned
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp oregano
6 potatoes, peeled and halved
Juice of 2 lemons
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
1 cup water

Method:
1. Marinate chicken with salt, pepper and oregano for at least 30 minutes.

2. Place chicken in a casserole. Spread potatoes around the chicken and pour lemon juice, olive oil and water over all.

3. Bake casserole, covered in a preheated oven at 200 degrees C/400 degrees F for 1 hour. Half an hour into cooking, uncover casserole. When chicken is browned on top, after about 15-20 minutes, turn over and continue baking uncovered till browned on other side and cooked through.

Note: For well-cooked potatoes, ensure that they are fully immersed in the sauce. However, if the potatoes are still half-cooked when the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the casserole and set aside, and continue cooking the potatoes in the oven, covered. Add water if necessary.

RMS said:
Deadly Sushi,
I'm just getting into Russian fare, or more specifically Georgian recipes.
They are very healthy. I'm having trouble locating some of the spices I need though. Going to check out Trader Joe's to see if they have them.

My wife is Georgian, if you have any questions.

My signature recipie?....Either my pasta sauces white or red, or my rack of lamb w/roasted red pepper jus.

I never make the same recipie twice and never measure.

Here is my signature/favorite recipe to make

Lamb Shanks in a Spicy Yogurt Sauce

Lamb Shanks - 6
3 large onions thinly sliced
2 cups of plain yogurt (I like Greek style)
1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp of freshly chopped garlic
3 Tbsp of Dry Ground Spice (3 tbsp of whole corrainder seeds, cumin seeds and 4 arabol chillies dry roasted in a skillet a then ground in a coffee grinder)
1 tbsp of paprika
salt to taste
2 cups of oil
Whole Spices - 3 sticks of cinnamon, handful of cardamom pods, handful of black pepper corns, 2 bay leaves, few cloves (4)
Healthy pinches of saffron and handful of nuts (I like sweeet almonds pistachios and raisins)
Cilantro and sliced boiled eggs for garnish

First add the 2 cups of oil in a pan. Once it's hot add the onions and fry them until they are golden brown and crisp. They go from done to burnt in no time so be careful and keep an eye on them. Next remove them with a slotted spoon on a plate.

Next Place the Lamb shanks in a deep bowl, throw in the ginger and garlic along with the ground spices, salt and paprika. Blend the yogurt and fried onions together until they turn into a nice thick paste. Add this to the lambshanks. Also add the saffron and nuts to the lambshanks and stir to combine.

Next take a few tbsp of oil (remaining from frying the onions) and heat it. Once the oil is hot add the whole spices to it (Cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves etc.), they will start to splutter immediately. Pour the hot oil over the lamb shank mixture. Stir to combine.

Transfer the lamb shank mixture to an oven proof pan. Cover and cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat after that to 350 and uncover and cook for another hour to hour and a half.

Remove the shanks in a large platter, pour the gravy on it and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and sliced boiled eggs.

It tastes great with basmati rice and naan or parathas (flaky wheat bread).

Here's one of my favorite chicken preparations. I adapted it form Ted Allen's 'The Food You Want To Eat':

Roasted Chicken Parts with herbs and lime

3 pcs lime, zested and juiced
3-4 pcs whole chicken thigh and leg
1 T Dijon mustard
3 T fresh thyme
1 pc bayleaf
¼ C extra virgin olive oil
¾ tsp rock salt
ground black pepper
1 T olive oil for sauteing

• In a bowl, whisk together zest, juice of 2 limes, mustard, 2 T thyme, salt, pepper. Whisk in olive oil like you’re making a salad dressing. Add bayleaf.
  • Wash chicken and pat dry. Then marinate at least 1 hour up to 4 hours.
  • Preheat oven 350F
  • Heat 1 T olive oil in skillet and brown chickens on both sides. 5 min.
  • Place chickens in roasting pan and bake 50 min.
  • Remove chicken to a platter. Put pan over high heat and reduce juices slightly, 2 to 3 min. Stir in juice of 1 lime and 1 T thyme.
  • Serve chicken with the juices.

Well, I've thought long and hard about this. I have lots of dishes that I do repeatedly that I always really like and that I guess I'm proud of. On the other hand, if you were to ask my partner what he'd choose if he could have anything he wanted, he'd say toad in the hole. Bit of a let-down really! So much so, I won't post a recipe. But I've enjoyed reading everyone else's.

Goodweed of the North said:
Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes
These little beauties have graced the table of literally hundreds of people to whom I've given the recipe. To date, every person who has tried this recipe swears by it and will not use a boxed mix for pancakes again. They are simple to make, easy to cook, and absolutely delicious. I get bragging rights for this recipe.

You have to follow the technique as well as the recipe to get the best results. Enjoy.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. sugar or Splenda Sweetener
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double-acting baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 large egg

Combine the dry ingredients in a glass, plastic, or stainless steel bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir just until everything is blended. There should be small lumps in the batter. Do Not Overmix as it will toughen the pancakes.

Cook over medium heat until the edges begin to lift from the pan and the bubbles pop, but still close on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite syrup, jam, jelly, or honey.

You can add fruits like rasins or blueberries without affecting the batter. You can also add M & M candies if you want. If you add fresh acidic fruit like strawberries, peach slices, apple, etc., you will need to add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to balance the extra acid.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, this is the only pancake I make now. I love it! Then recently, a friend of mine (a graduate of CIA-Culinary Institute of America) shared with me her tip on pancake making and it was one of those moments that makes you slap your forehead and go, why didn't I think of that?! Well, I tried her technique with your recipe and the pancakes now look professionally-done!

Her technique? Just separate the yolk from the eggwhite. Follow the recipe but whisk the white until soft peaks before folding into the batter.

Same great taste, maybe even better texture, and now, looks like those pictures on the box of commercial pancake mixes!

Tell me what you think!

Chopstix said:
Goodweed, this is the only pancake I make now. I love it! Then recently, a friend of mine (a graduate of CIA-Culinary Institute of America) shared with me her tip on pancake making and it was one of those moments that makes you slap your forehead and go, why didn't I think of that?! Well, I tried her technique with your recipe and the pancakes now look professionally-done!

Her technique? Just separate the yolk from the eggwhite. Follow the recipe but whisk the white until soft peaks before folding into the batter.

Same great taste, maybe even better texture, and now, looks like those pictures on the box of commercial pancake mixes!

Tell me what you think!

Sometimes, when I want to make them really over the top, I will seperate the egg and whisk the egg white until soft peaks form, and then fold the beaten egg-white into the batter. I always use that technique when making waffles, especially Belgian Waffles. It is a good technique, even a great one. But I'm usually too lazy as I tend to beat the whites with a wire whisk rather than an electric mixer. I dont' know why I do that. It makes absolutely no sense. I never said that I was without my quirks.

Another great recipe for pancake batter is to make Dutch Babies out of them. They are cooked in the oven and the sides balloon up to make this extraordinary pancake "bowl" that is filled with fresh fruit, or fruit filling, and topped with Whipped Cream. I have a recipe if you want it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom