"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Master Chef
Signature Recipe

We have so many new members here that haven't the benefit of a few years worth of great recipes that have graced this site. I propose that we post our signature recipes, those that we know have been well received and are loved by numerous people. I'll start with the one I'm best known for on this site, Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes. And I hope many follow. And if we remember stand outs from ex-members, maybe we can include some of those as well.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes
These little beauties have graced the table of literally hundreds of people to whom I've given the recipe. To date, every person who has tried this recipe swears by it and will not use a boxed mix for pancakes again. They are simple to make, easy to cook, and absolutely delicious. I get bragging rights for this recipe.

You have to follow the technique as well as the recipe to get the best results. Enjoy.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. sugar or Splenda Sweetener
1/2 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double-acting baking powder

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs. milk
3 tbs. cooking oil
1 large egg

Combine the dry ingredients in a glass, plastic, or stainless steel bowl with a wire whisk. Add the wet ingredients and stir just until everything is blended. There should be small lumps in the batter. Do Not Overmix as it will toughen the pancakes.

Cook over medium heat until the edges begin to lift from the pan and the bubbles pop, but still close on top. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove and serve with your favorite syrup, jam, jelly, or honey.

You can add fruits like rasins or blueberries without affecting the batter. You can also add M & M candies if you want. If you add fresh acidic fruit like strawberries, peach slices, apple, etc., you will need to add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to balance the extra acid.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
This is what everyone asks for when they come to dinner at our place.

Shaffer style clam chowder

three 10 oz cans chopped clams
1lb bacon
three cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!

Add some nice frech bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day!

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This would be mine...

Tiramisu Piemontese

• 700g/ 1,5 lb mascarpone
  • 6 very fresh (essential!!) eggs (5 if eggs are particularly large)
  • 100g / 3,5 oz sugar
  • half cup of Marsala wine
  • 1 cup (circa, more if needed) freshly brewed coffee (not too strong, slightly diluted) or little more as needed.
  • 600g / 1 lb + 5oz Savoiardi or lady fingers
  • pure cocoa powder unsweetened
  • sweetened cocoa powder
  1. Separate eggs. Beat together yolks, sugar, wine and mascarpone until the mixture attains a smooth creamy texture.
  2. Whip the eggwhite vigorously until it becomes solid. (do this patiently with "high energy", if it is not solid enough the end result will be soggy and soupy!)
  3. Carefully fold in the whipped eggwhite into the mascarpone/york mixture, blend them well and evenly.
  4. Mix 2 teaspoonful of sugar into the coffee, then pour in a container large enough to dip savoiardi/lady fingers comfortably. dip each pieces of biscuits into the coffee quickly, (wet the entire surface for a moment but not until it gets soggy all the way through) lay them neatly in one layer at the bottom of a large square/rectangular baking dish (or 2 medium).
  5. pour half of the cream (mascarpone/egg mixture) evenly over the savoiardi, then sprinkle the sweetened cocoa powder to cover the surface.
  6. lay another layer of savoiardi on top, repeat with the cream, then top it off with unsweetened pure cocoa powder.
  7. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
Interesting note:
"Tiramisu" means "Pick me up" in Italian (Tira mi su). I was curious about the origin of this name, and when I asked Cristiano about it, he told me this rich cake full of calories (thus it would give you lots of energy) was served traditionally as a final dessert at weddings (the Italian weddings rival to those of Greeks, they keep on eating and eating all day and night!!). This was done to assure the newly weds' very "energetic" and passionate honeymoon following the big feast!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My Mom's Macaroni Salad

8 oz. box elbow macaroni (cooked, drained, and cooled. This is one time I rinse the macaroni well or you have to double the dressing and entire salad is too dry.)

-sliced radishes, 4 or 5 large
-cucumber, cut long ways, seeds removed, and sliced
-1 yellow pepper, chopped
-1 tomato, chopped (you can use any type of tomato i.e., Roma, grape, etc. If using grape still cut in half so tomato juice flavors salad)
-1 med-large carrot ribbons or just sliced carrots
-2 hard boiled eggs, grated (a must for this salad)

1 cup Miracle Whip
1 cup mayonnaise
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
salt and pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper)

Mix all dressing ingredients first. Add veggies to macaroni and then mix most of dressing with everything. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to let flavors blend. Not totally necessary but it does help. Right before serving mix rest of dressing in with everything else.

Serves 8-10

This is great with the burgers we always make with it at the following link-

Favorite Hamburgers

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Here's mine TNT Chocolate Kahlua Mousse Pie by popular demand!
Actually, it's my dad's recipe but shhhh, don't tell!
Here's one that is mine TNT Apple Frangipane Galette
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef
GW, your pancakes sound fab!!!!

My signature(?) dish - dear to my culinary heart is/are souffles. I started out with a basic souffle recipe (egg/cheese), and still in the midst of embellishing/tweaking. Chocolate souffle is another I've been working on (when I have the time), to come up with a piece de resistance. Will be watching for member's sig dishes.

P.S. If I were stranded on a desert island, with one thing to eat -- it would be souffle!
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Latin Style Bananas Foster

My buddy and I had been making Bananas Foster for an event called "Eats" to benifit an area vocational school and we got bored doing that so we came of with this version.

1/2 stick of butter melted over low heat
1 thinly sliced ripe (sweet) plantian
cook for a few minutes

add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
juice from 1/2 lime
a splash of tequilla and rum ( or Cyclone which is a blend of the 2)

a few sprinkles of cinnamon

Put sauce over vanilla ice cream and top with cilantro and candied jalapeno slices. ( seeded and viened slices tossed in egg white and then with white sugar and baked at 375 for 10- 15 minutes)

We had an adventurous crowd that loved the new version

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
JDP, I believe I am ready to do a flamenco in honor of your dish. Nice variation!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

This is a very good vegetarian entree

Cheese and Bean Enchiladas Serves 12

Enchilada Sauce

3 T. olive or vegetable oil Blend oil and butter in sauce
3 T. butter pan over low heat. Stir in

4 T. flour flour.

2 ½ cups tomato sauce (I use 1 quart tomato juice in place of sauce
1 ½ cups water and water)
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. chili powder
1 T. honey or syrup

Blend thoroughly and remove from heat.

To assemble a 9x13 pan of enchiladas, you will need:

1 can refried beans
2 Cups chopped onions
One pound sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
Corn tortillas, approx. 12 depending on size of tortilla

Spread ½ cup sauce on bottom of greased baking dish.
Layer with corn tortillas to cover bottom. Add 1 Cup diced onions and half of the cubed cheddar cheese, dot with half the can of refried beans. Spread 1/3 sauce. Add more corn tortillas, the rest of the onions, cheddar cheese, refried beans and 1/3 sauce. Top with final layer of corn tortillas and rest of sauce. Bake in 350 oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly hot.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancakes

This is my most requested food to be served by house guests. I fiddle with the 2 cups of flour I use. Currently I use 1 cup whole wheat bread flour, and 1/3 cup each ground oats, ground flax seed, and buckwheat flour. Note the mixing technique is different than normal pancakes. You beat the eggs with a whisk, then whisk in the buttermilk/yogurt, then stir in the dry ingredients, and finally stir in the oil. I sometimes drop on frozen raspberries once I have poured the batter onto the hot skillet, before I flip the pancake. If you are using store bought (thick) yogurt, use a bit less than 1 3/4 cups or the batter will be too stiff. The walnut and cinnamon variation is nice. These freeze very well.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes 9-12 pancakes

2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ¾ cups buttermilk or yogurt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
2 T. oil

Beat the eggs well.
Add other ingredients except oil and mix. ADD OIL AND MIX AGAIN.
Fry on hot griddle
Variation, add ½ cup diced apples, ¼ cup chopped walnuts and ¼ t. cinnamon.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote