Signs of a Real Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selkie

Executive Chef
*Flakes of garlic skin can be found under or behind the canister set.

*A baking sheet that's so used and stained it looks like it's camouflaged.

*A utensil canister can be found near the stove (stuffed with 2 or more regular spatulas, wooden spoons, tongs, silicone spatula, whisk, etc.)

*An open and used container of Comet or Bartender's Friend stored under the sink.

*Four or more different brands of Balsamic Vinegar is in the cupboard.

Last edited:
Only 3 balsamic vinegars!

*Never a time when all of the dishes, pots & pans, and utensils are clean at one time
*Could pass for a survivalist based on the amount of food you keep in your house
*The door of the fridge contains condiments needed to cook/serve food from just about every ethnic group you can imagine
*No matter how much you clean, the family dog can find something interesting to smell, if not eat, on the kitchen floor

The condiments? I was only counting in the fridge. Oils? only counting the ones I cook with that are open! Not the ones I've missed scrubbing from the side of the stove! Off the top of my head? Hmmm ... Maybe it's time for a shampoo!

The condiments? I was only counting in the fridge. Oils? only counting the ones I cook with that are open! Not the ones I've missed scrubbing from the side of the stove! Off the top of my head? Hmmm ... Maybe it's time for a shampoo!

:ROFLMAO:

I have some open in the pantry, too!

I basically have everything except the utensils are in two large drawers, each filled to the brim. One is for everyday items and all my baking measures. The other is my "pro" drawer with my Mac knives, etc. in neatly and safely.

As for Balsamic, I have at the moment 3 different regular and 3 different white if that counts! Don't get me started on oils, Andy!

I have at least a dozen cookie sheets in different sizes which all look like army issue!

I basically have everything except the utensils are in two large drawers, each filled to the brim...

I only use three canisters because I have no drawer space.

...and I just bought 6 more bamboo utensils for $6.00! Maybe I'll need a 4th canister.

I cleaned out 4 drawers of odds and ends to get one empty drawer for my Bento things. Now they are pouring forth. I have one flower pot holding utensils, 6 drawers and a cardboard box. The box is going away!

I can see that if I want to be taken seriously as a cook here at DC I must get more balsamic vinegar, I have only 2 kinds at the moment oh dear! I do have 4 kinds of oil and a pottery jar crammed full of utensils next to the stove top. Lol!!
I have all the other things too! Even the garlic skins!
Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Last edited:
I can see that if I want to be taken seriously as a cook here at DC I must get more balsamic vinegar, I have only 2 kinds at the moment oh dear! I do have 4 kinds of oil and a pottery jar crammed full of utensils next to the stove top. Lol!!
I have all the other things too! Even the garlic skins!
Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Yes, you definitely need more Balsamic...you can never have too much, you know:LOL:

I cleaned out 4 drawers of odds and ends to get one empty drawer for my Bento things. Now they are pouring forth. I have one flower pot holding utensils, 6 drawers and a cardboard box. The box is going away!

Oh, I often have a cardboard box on the floor somewhere, loaded with:

*Extra flour, pasta, rice, oats, or anything else I have no room for in my cupboard.

*Stuffed with boxes and packaging from new kitchen toys and appliances, awaiting Wed. morning trash takeout.

*Packed with food that I'm passing on to my local "Share & Care" thrift and food distribution store.

*Packed with old kitchen "stuff" that I'm passing on to the daughter of a friend who is just setting up her first household.

Cardboard boxes have become a regular feature of my kitchen lately. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh, I often have a cardboard box on the floor somewhere, loaded with:

*Extra flour, pasta, rice, oats, or anything else I have no room for in my cupboard.

*Stuffed with boxes and packaging from new kitchen toys and appliances, awaiting Wed. morning trash takeout.

*Packed with food that I'm passing on to my local "Share & Care" thrift and food distribution store.

*Packed with old kitchen "stuff" that I'm passing on to the daughter of a friend who is just setting up her first household.

Cardboard boxes have become a regular feature of my kitchen lately. :rolleyes:

Last time I did a kitchen and bath overhaul, my friend's daughter made out like a bandit. This time it's going to a huge garage sale for charity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I go through my pantry every month or so and check expiration dates on non-perishables. Then I seriously look at other non-perishables. Then I bag anything in the house that I'm highly unlikely to use and go visit the food bank, stopping along the way for other goods, and hit the food bank.

Back
Top Bottom