"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Everymom

Signs of Autumn

Well, I know we all live in different climates so we will all have different things that mean autumn is here. For me, the big one right now is how fast my bird feeders are being emptied. I've got three in the tree out front and I love watching the little brats battle it out. I have to fill those things nearly daily right now!

First thing in the morning I've got the blue jays hanging practically upside down to get into this tiny little feeder and get some sunflower seeds. They make me laugh. There are usually 3 or 4 of them squawking and yelling. The sparrows, redpolls and chickadees are next. The sparrows are like a gang and try to keep everyone else away from the feeders. Chickadees flip them the bird and ignore them completely. Nobody messes with the chickadees. Midafternoon, when things are quiet, I get my sweet little nuthatches. And finally, after supper rush, the magpies come. A whole family of them. Sometimes as many as 12, going from yard to yard and cleaning up whatever they find. I know lots of folks don't like them, but I do. They're bloody smart, live in family groups and tidy up nature's messes.

There are lots of other signs that autumn is here, but none as much fun for me. My trees are almost bare now, the grass is changing to a lovely brown, and although we've been enjoying some BEAUTIFUL weather the last few weeks the mercury has started to plunge. Its only 6C (42F) right now, and the word is that we will have snow by Tuesday. Sigh. I guess its time.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yesterday, as I was leaving the grocery, there was a white-tail doe standing and munching in the cattails. There is a patch of about 1 acre, surrounding an irrigation ditch, a sidewalk away from a busy street. I know if she was there, her younger ones were hiding in the rushes.

I know it's autumn when the deer start coming off the mountain and into town.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Other than the air's turing colder and the foliage changing color and falling to the ground, we have squirrels! We have lot of squirrels!

They are all running around like maniacs trying to get ready for the winter. they have been eating acorns in the tree branches above our deck and bombarding the deck with the shells for several weeks now.

On another front, the Blond Tufted Significant Other has been scampering around the town house putting up winter drapes, winter coverlets and warmer jammies. The electric bed warmers are her favorite.

Along side the BTSO is the Pot Bellied Man of the House (PBMH) who is busily changing the thermostat from "COOL" to "HEAT", changing the vents from Summer to Winter, discarding the sandals and T-Shirts for the shearling slippers and sweatshirts.

All in all, the local critters are just about ready for the snow season.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Everymom

BTSO and PBMH are great! I'm laughing a lot right now.

My daughter told me there is a squirrel on the way to and from school who tries to pelt her with pine cones as she passes.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

For me, it is the trees changing colours. There is a tiny creek running through our complex (yes, a real creek, not just a ditch!), and they have left up a lot of the old trees. We live a little ways from the creek but have a small "greenbelt" beside us. I can look out my kitchen window and see the dramatic colours - bright red and gold are predominate.

For me, however, it is a time when the birds leave. We are not allowed to feed them and so they tend to drift away, always coming back in the spring.

We do have squirrels. They live in the trees beside us and I love to watch them scamper about collecting their food for the winter. We are not allowed to feed them, either, but they find nuts and things all over the place.

Oh, yes, and then there are the other preparations for winter. The smells from the kitchen as the Cane Wielding Cook of the House (CWCH) starts fall baking and freezer stuffing. The Wonderful Hard Working Man of the House (WHWMH) is busy turning the portable air conditioner into a heat conductor, bringing in the fur-babies' pool/fountain and generally winterizing the townhouse. (sorry Andy, that was just too good a thing not to steal )

This is most definitely my favourite time of year.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I suppose one of the first signs of autumn is the hummingbirds leave us. We were swamped with them a couple of weeks before they took off for wherever they winter. Our nights are several degrees cooler and the days a bit, but we have lots of falling leaves which dh has decided he will not pick up every few days as before. He will wait and get them when the trees are bare. We won't have any significant drops in temperature til probably the middle of November, but the pool water is too cool to swim in now.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
We won't have any significant drops in temperature til probably the middle of November, but the pool water is too cool to swim in now.
Now, you are talking about a Florida sized pool....ours is a little wading pool that our pups drink out of and lay in during the hot summer days. DH put a fountain pump in to keep the water running. We know when it is time to winterize when our big dog doesn't climb in anymore, but nudges her nose against the sides to start letting the water out.....seriously!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

not to many signs here in so. california. some leaves are dropping, but mine drop leaves all here. not great colored leaves here but in the mountains near me. could go there and many people do. we have had gloomy weather for a couple of weeks. even rain. rare here. chilly in morning and hot in the afternoon. as you can see, really no seasons here at all.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

For me I love the cold, hummingbirds get so use to us they come in to eat more and more they will even drink from the end of the hose as i fill the water dish for the dog.Makes mr believe
kades
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Here in Tucson the nighttime temps are around 50-58 degrees. Very few trees here change colors unless you travel up the mountains. The vegetables I tried to grow during the summer are showing signs of life.
Lee