"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Oh come on...that is a very poor, redundant argument! Ha - laughable! Back then nothing else was available i.e. we didn't have the benefits of technology that we do now. This is hardly the same thing as saying that herbalism is now used to take the place of operations - that is a false statement! As mentioned, herbalism can be used beneficially with the run up to an operation and also to aid recovery afterward.
I never said that. You really must stop putting words in my mouth.

YOU said herbalism was NEVER MEANT to replace surgery. That story in the article shows that you are wrong - people in the past did try to treat all kinds of things with herbs, with blood-letting, with lots of unproven "therapies."

Herbs and other "natural" remedies are still used by some people to try to treat infections and other conditions that require medical treatment. Like this one:

Quote:
Parents of toddler who died of meningitis used home remedies rather than consult doctor, court hears - Calgary - CBC News

A southern Alberta couple accused of allowing their meningitis-infected toddler to die four years ago tried home remedies such as olive leaf extract and whey protein rather than take him to a doctor, a Lethbridge jury heard Monday.

Crown counsel played an audio tape from a police officer who interviewed the couple after hospital staff called police.

On the tape, Collet Stephan tells the officer a friend, who is a nurse, told the couple the boy likely had meningitis.

Home remedies given as condition deteriorated

In a bid to boost his immune system, the couple gave the boy — who was lethargic and becoming stiff — various home remedies, such as water with maple syrup, juice with frozen berries and finally a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horse radish root, hot peppers, mashed onion, garlic and ginger root as his condition deteriorated.
This is why promoting "natural" remedies is misguided and dangerous. They tried to treat him themselves for several weeks but they didn't even know what was wrong with him, much less what was needed to actually fix the problem.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #32
Head Chef

Creative, colds are not bacterial, they are viral. And you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? They call it medicine. Until I see clinical trials, I am not believing it. Anecdotes are not evidence.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Creative, colds are not bacterial, they are viral. And you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? They call it medicine. Until I see clinical trials, I am not believing it. Anecdotes are not evidence.
Anecdotes are sufficient for those who have benefited and healed from their conditions. I could catalogue the many ways I have successfully treated myself but I can tell I am not talking to open minded people.

Yes you are right about the colds which is not to say you are right about anything else in your post.

Alternative just means an alternative to orthodox medicine. Do you know about complimentary therapies I wonder? They are used alongside orthodox medicine i.e. prescribed by doctors here in UK.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #34
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I never said that. You really must stop putting words in my mouth.

YOU said herbalism was NEVER MEANT to replace surgery. That story in the article shows that you are wrong - people in the past did try to treat all kinds of things with herbs, with blood-letting, with lots of unproven "therapies."
Yes I was answering what your original quote was (which I assume you agree with) notably
Say you got appendicitis a thousand years ago. Odds were that you would writhe in pain for a day or two, your appendix would have ruptured and your doctors would have given you a battery of herbs (and maybe opium because obviously). All natural treatment to an all natural problem would have left you dead. Naturally.

As mentioned, the option of having an operation was not available back then so it is an unfair and biaised/twisted argument! Like I have said (several times now), herbalism can be used beneficially to take on the run up to an operation and to help with recovery after it.

So you bring up an example of where natural remedies don't work...well done! Ha! I could
easily catalogue the disasters that ensue from orthodox medicine (I gave you one tragic
example already) so where are we with this? Your cause does not emerge shining does it?

Old 05-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #35
Head Chef

Lightbulb

To give you some insight into how integrated some of these therapies now are e.g. for chronic (long term) pain....

look here under the treatment section

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...ng11pg5-6.html