Sinus pain and congestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Every morning I wake with sinus pain and congestion. Anyone else suffer from this ? What do you use for it ? What I do for it is take a hot damp washcoth and put it over the affected area, I have to do this a few times when the cloths cools , I reheat it in the microwave. The cloth on the affected area seems to helps somewhat, I don't know how or why.

Nasal irrigation.
Sounds nasty, but it really really really works to keep my
chronically clogged sinuses much more clear and open.

Do some googling of it and "neti pot", then check out
NeilMed.com . They have the best prices. I recommend the
Sinus Rinse bottle.

And yes, you very quickly get used to the process, no you don't
gag and choke.

Nasal irrigation.
Sounds nasty, but it really really really works to keep my
chronically clogged sinuses much more clear and open.

Do some googling of it and "neti pot", then check out
NeilMed.com . They have the best prices. I recommend the
Sinus Rinse bottle.

And yes, you very quickly get used to the process, no you don't
gag and choke.

thank you for your input... will check it out.

An added benefit...
My wife rarely has to use her earplugs anymore
at night....
It has really reduced my snoring!

(And boy oh boy can I cut some logs!)

I've had sinus issues all my life. I'm one of those people who as soon as I lay down, my sinuses plug up. I sleep with at least one sinus plugged every might. For the most part, I've learned to live with it. I second GrillingFool's nasal irrigation recommendation, especially for battling colds. Make sure the water is tepid. Warmer water can inflame the sinus membranes more. DH can't use a neti so he relies on saline nasal rinse bottles we get at Costco.

I don't often have sinus problems, but I woke up today with a sore throat and throbbing sinuses.

The town I lived in right before this one had a high rate of sinus problems. A lot of people there had sinus surgery.

I used to have one of those gel sinus masks. You could use it cool (I stored it in the refrigerator) or you could heat it up. It really helped a lot.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
I have found the Sudafed in the RED box helps with sinus issues - you have to get it from the pharmacist - it is not on the shelves anymore. When REAL bad I put my head over a pot of boiling water and drape a towel over my head or sit in a steamy bathroom with the shower on HOT. I did have sinus surgery 10 years ago - PM me if you want any details.

I tell ya...
If you have chronic sinus or allergy problems, try nasal irrigation.
Couple times a day... cleans out all that pollen and stuff, stimulates
the sinuseses to drain.
I was a sinus medicine junkie, but no more. Used to feel like my left
maxillary sinus had a lead marble in it. Took a while of constant use,
but I haven't felt that marble in my sinus for months.

And a hint.. mix 2 parts sea salt to 1 part baking soda, and save big
bucks by not buying pre-mixed powders for the irrigator.

I performed regular nasal irrigations 25 years ago and patients were charged $10 bucks for the procedure. Who know what they're charging now. For you squeamish people get some disposable gloves, mix up some warm water with salt (any will do) and take a baby's snot extractor (I forget its true name but use a brand new one with your name on it) and depress one nostril so that it's closed tightly and introduce the nasal aspirator into the other nostril as you squeeze out the warm, salt solution be blowing out air thru that nostril. Then switch to the other side while depressing tightly the nostril that you just irrigated. The salt water will help to shrink your nasal passages that are inflamed. Also if you're not going anywhere the nasal expanders really do help with the breathing. If you have no allergies to it I also highly recommend Zytec. It's my lifesaver as I have dealt with allergies all my life.

I performed regular nasal irrigations 25 years ago and patients were charged $10 bucks for the procedure. Who know what they're charging now. For you squeamish people get some disposable gloves, mix up some warm water with salt (any will do) and take a baby's snot extractor (I forget its true name but use a brand new one with your name on it) and depress one nostril so that it's closed tightly and introduce the nasal aspirator into the other nostril as you squeeze out the warm, salt solution be blowing out air thru that nostril. Then switch to the other side while depressing tightly the nostril that you just irrigated. The salt water will help to shrink your nasal passages that are inflamed. Also if you're not going anywhere the nasal expanders really do help with the breathing. If you have no allergies to it I also highly recommend Zytec. It's my lifesaver as I have dealt with allergies all my life.
thanks for the information. I will have to get one of those extractors and try the method.

Also, the over the counter eyewashes really help if you have allergies and your eyes get red. itchy, and irritated---I just buy mine at discount centers---I'd be dubious of any homemade unless you sterilized it first, however.

Also, the over the counter eyewashes really help if you have allergies and your eyes get red. itchy, and irritated---I just buy mine at discount centers---I'd be dubious of any homemade unless you sterilized it first, however.
I do have allergies and get red itchy eyes. It gets so dry in the house with the coal stove going 24/7 and we have a humidifier too as well as an air purifier.

I think outside of not being able to breathe that red, itchy eyes are the most troublesome symptom of allergies. And if you're a girl it's a pain to try and use eye makeup as I think it makes the problem worse.

I think outside of not being able to breathe that red, itchy eyes are the most troublesome symptom of allergies. And if you're a girl it's a pain to try and use eye makeup as I think it makes the problem worse.
I haven't used makeup in years :) but the allergies could be from the coal stove .

Back
Top Bottom