Slang of the 30's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scary - I grew up listening to my dad saying many of these phrases. And now, I'm saying them. lots of them. :ermm:

I'll definitely be working in "a trip for biscuits" sometime soon - that one cracks me up :ROFLMAO:

Surprising, to me, how many of these I still use--probably because of my grandparents. Thanks, Tat!

Here are a few expressions I remember hearing from my parents and grandparents...

"Everything's copacetic"...everything's fine

"tighter than Dick's hatband"...clothes too tight

"hotter than $800"...almost nobody had that much money unless it was stolen

the one that really cracks me up is that my dad still calls the fridge "an ice box" - it's 70 years since anyone had an icebox!!

I still call it the Ice box Thanks for the slang thread I started cooking just when a lot of this was on the way out brought back a lot of memories all good. gimme a shooter]= western omelet. grave yard stew milk toast thoses were the days when cooks cooked

darn! I hope he's not reading this, he would make me tell him he's not so crazy after all ;)

Many years ago, my soon to be father in law referred to me as a tomato! And all this time I thought it was an insult! Maybe it was the context...he said I was nothing more than a tomato who would take all his son's money.....hahaha

Back
Top Bottom