Slang phrases or words prevalent in your locale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heh heh heh...I pro-cess dayta...what does that make me? EEK!

I'm also sitting here giggling cuz if I had a front porch I wouldn't put a couch on it cuz its too danged cold most of the time!

Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Its a fun read.

I'd like to know how most folks pronounce Banff. I was just there for a dance competition with my girls and its interesting to hear people say the word.

If you are fortunate enough to have a front porch in these here parts, you put a wooden rocker on it. Preferably a Shaker rocker with arms. :)

I've noticed some differences in other areas of the country.

As someone from Massachusetts, I have no right to point fingers but you can't help but notice.

We have relatives in Florida (north of Tampa) who add unneeded words to the end of a sentence. The most common version is along these lines. "Where are my car keys at?" You really don't need the "at" on the end. "Where are my car keys?" does the trick.

We have friends in the Chicago area who do just the opposite. They drop words from the end of a sentence. For example, "Are we taking this with?" When I would say, "Are we taking this with us?"

Or maybe it's just me...

I used to work with a lady from Miami and she put the word "then" at the end of almost every sentence.

I've browsed through and didn't see this one. It's words used instead of swearing. My NH relatives say "Jeesum Crow", my husband said "Jes-s Mann" (why that is better, I don't know). My dad swears by saying "G-D-S-O-B". There are a multitude of things people say to mask unpleasant bodily functions! Some times people can be so imaginative that it's funny.

That reminded me that my grandmother would call a bowl movement a "BI". I have never figured that one out.

I have notied that our sportscasters when reporting on winter sports from there like to use the "m" instead of the "n". I want to reach inside the TV and shake them until they get it right. After all, it is the same language. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom