Slang phrases or words prevalent in your locale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And it is implied that it is one kind of beer if you just say "case". It is possible to have a mixed case of beer.

These days a package of beer, whether it's a 12-pack, 24-pack or 30-pack, is completely enclosed in cardboard so it's all one type unless it's a sampler of different brews sold by a brewer.

In the "old days" a case was just a cardboard tray with four six-packs in it. You could mix and match but then you aren't buying a case, you're buying four six packs.

I know what a two six is, and a texas mickey...but I don't drink beer. The last time I bought beer it was Alexander Keith's and it came in a box of 15. Weird.

I know what a two six is, and a texas mickey...but I don't drink beer. The last time I bought beer it was Alexander Keith's and it came in a box of 15. Weird.
I'll bite. What's a two six and a Texas mickey? Where are those terms used?

A two six is a 26oz bottle of liquor (roughly 750ml) and a Texas mickey is the giant 2 or 3 liter bottle. We also talked about 40 pounders. (40 oz) I have no idea why we called them that.

Good Morning,

Interesting and often entertaining post.

I do not think this is the place, for me to get started with slang Spanish, South American, Latin American or Italian colloquial phrases or words !

However, they do exist as all of you are quite aware.

Let me say that I have learnt alot from my 7.30am - 9am Military Class, where I assist Army and Airforce Military Officers to pass their English Level Exams for missions for NATO ( Afghanistan predominately ) ...

I enjoy this part time job, which does not interfere with my normal publishing job ... I do it, for the enjoyment, however, believe me, I have learnt so much about Spain in the process ... from economics, government and political, cultural, historical, financial, traditions, etcetra ... This is why I have been doing it ... All I do, is correct their English and go over practice exams which include: a listening comprehension, a reading with comprehension, grammatical, written business format email, and the verbal accuracy on a topic which focuses on current events.

When a Military Officer has road rage, as is so common throughout Italia or Spain and he yells out; GILLIPOLLAS ( pronounced: hill ee poi as ) ... what is he yelling:

JACKASS - JERK ...

So, have nice wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
I live just north of the Valley of the Jolly San Fernando. This board doesn't have enough bandwidth to answer this question!

I do not think this is the place, for me to get started with slang Spanish, South American, Latin American or Italian colloquial phrases or words !

I speak several languages and I love to play with languages. For instance, I will ask someone who I know speaks Spanish, " Donde esta frijole, hombre?" which would loosely translate to "Where you bean, man?"

People, especially Americans, will say in German "Was ist Loos" when they really mean "Was ist Los?" which is kind of like asking "What's happening." A German with a good sense of humor will respond "Meine hund ist loose!" I had a First Sargeant who though he was speaking German when he'd ask "sprecken zee Dutch?" I am sure what he meant was "Sprechen zie Deutch?" Even Wayne Newton screwed it up when he sang "Danke Shane" instead of "Danke Schoen."

My favorite word in Spanish is esposas, because of the double meaning, but I think (I'm not sure) the second translation is Mexican slang because I've never heard it used by Puerto Ricans or Cubans. Does anyone know what that less obvious meaning is? Margi?

I was just thinking, my barber is Spanish (from Spain Spanish, not from Puerto Rico Spanish like New Yorkers think). Maybe I'll remember to ask her if she knows the second meaning next time I get a haircut, which could be this week-end.

Last edited:
Sir Leon,

You are right on, this board certainly does not have enough room for this sort of thing !

¿ San Fernando - Cádiz ?

Which San Fernando ? There is one, in each and every Spanish province and then, one in California and every country south of the USA border too ...

I have a phone call, so I shall re-read ur post tomorrow.

Thanks for note.
Have nice evening.

Margi.

Last edited:
These days a package of beer, whether it's a 12-pack, 24-pack or 30-pack, is completely enclosed in cardboard so it's all one type unless it's a sampler of different brews sold by a brewer.

In the "old days" a case was just a cardboard tray with four six-packs in it. You could mix and match but then you aren't buying a case, you're buying four six packs.

We call a case of beer a "suitcase." Mainly because of the way it is packaged. Enclosed with a handle.:)

Sir Lion of Beef: Esposas are Handcuffs !

:ROFLMAO: Esposas are wives in Spanish, however, in Castillian Spanish, men called their wives: "mi mujer" = my woman = my wife ... They do not employ the word Esposa !

Esposa = wife is more common amongst South Americans.

*** Slang aspect:

The verb esposar is to hand cuff ...

Interesting paradox or similarity perhaps !

:) Have nice day.

Margi.

Last edited:
Addie & Tax Lady: Slang - Horned Goats

:ROFLMAO: Ladies,

I am polite, unless, some "Gillipollas", without common sense ruffles my feathers, just a bit overboard ! :)

However, what sounds terrible in Spanish to foreign ears, is really quite mild.

UN CABRÓN which is probably the most vulgar curse in Spanish, is only HORNED GOAT ! However, yell out a car window at someone who is a Horned Goat, and wait to see the expression on their face !

UNA CABRONA is for females ! :ROFLMAO:

Slang and street language is interesting !

Have nice evening ladies !

Margi.

Last edited:
Sir Lion Of Beef,

I lived in San Francisco for almost a decade ... Gorgeous city ...

So, now we know it is not San Fernando, Cadiz, which is one of the main beaches, on the southwest Atlantic Coast of Spain ...

Nice to have chatted with you despite the Hand Cuff business.

Kind regards.
Margi.

In Canada you have a chesterfield on your stoop. In America we have a couch on our front porch. (Okay only in lower class neighborhoods. Middle and upper classers would never be seen sitting on their front porches. Not unless they had 10-20 acres and high walls around their property, and maybe armed guard dogs.)

I've always said the difference between Americans and Canadians is Americans Prah-cess Dayta, while Canadians Pro-cess Dahta

Back
Top Bottom