"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
Everymom

Dina, you are on the right track and I sure hope you find the relief you need. Exercise and eating right is the best start. Learning how to breathe and allow your mind to stop running a million miles an hour is hard to do. There are self meditation tapes that might help, and yoga will help you learn to relax too. (I know, I know, you are sick of hearing about how much yoga helps EVERYTHING! LOL )

I read once that listening to non verbal music for 20 minutes a day stimulates alpha waves in your brain and helps to calm you. So maybe one of those classical music CDs with some nature sounds in it would help?

I'll reiterate too what everyone else has said, if the all natural route isn't working for you then get some help from your Dr. Its important to your health to be well rested. Especially when you have a little guy running around the house.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Head Chef

Have any of you tried the opposite theory for insomnia? Many people feel like they "have" to go to bed at a "certain" time. Why? Because they "have" to get up at a certain time. Right there you've put stress on yourself. Next time you can't sleep....get up. Stay up until you get tired....(all day the next day if it's required)...and then sleep. The first night you might only get a "couple" hours...but the next night you will find you are much closer to wanting to go to bed on time. Too many times we are too ridgid in our thinking. We are too "planned". Our body may not be ready for what our mind tells it that it has to do. For me this works. Thankfully...I rarely have a problem....but when I do...I get up and get busy. The next night I am ready for bed. Hope this works for someone!

Old 03-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I first went on wellbutrin to help me cut back with my smoking when I realized I probably needed it the first place for mild depression I always suffered with panic attacks but for years I could control it.But one summer day it got so bad I couldnt stop hyperventilating I was even hyperventilating in my sleep,I never could sleep either.So the doctor put me on Paxil and I love it no more PA and I sleep like a baby I also take about a 1/4 of a sublingual Melatonin every night which is about 3/4 mg.WOW!I sleep soo good never felt so relaxed in my life I almost dont want get up in the morning.And I rarely ever need a nap in the day.Down or up side however you want to look at it is the crazy vivid dreams I have.Oh ya! paxil also does wonders for PMS.
I think the trick for going on these meds is to start with tiny doses and build your way up.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I slept my first 8 hour night in ages last night. I wouldn't suggest this every day, but dgd,dgs and I took a hike on a trail near the beach. It was very breezy, walking in sand part of the time, oyster shells part of the time and thru the woods also. I was quite tired when we finished and a little worried we wouldn't get out by sunset, when the gates are locked. We saw armadillas and heard something we didn't know what it was. We also saw all kinds of itsy bitsy fish. I didn't take any medication for sleep, but I was very refreshed when I awoke. - must be the air and the walk. Yesterday was suppose to be my one day off from exercise, but I suppose it was worth it.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Ive had anxiety attacks and insomnia, and 'restless mind' syndrome ever since my son's accident. If I'm not already nodding off when the lights go out, my little mind just starts churning; lots of memory recall around his time in the hospital and rehab, or other scary events. Been told it's a type of post-traumatic stress disorder. Whatever.

I find that if I get comfy in bed and read til my eyes won't stay open, I can usually drift off without all the 'wandering'. If I do start, I make an effort to think 'good' things; or even go over an exercise routine in my head, think about a walk on the beach, or the garden, or whatever puts a sleepy little smile on my face.

Licia, your walk sounded wonderful! I notice that when I'm exhausted from a physical workout, my sleep is much better. I did about 6 hours yesterday in garden, and slept right through my alarm this morning!

Another thing I've found is not to get into a 'battle' with your insomnia - the lying down, turning out the light, and saying, 'all right, sleep, ***it!' - only creates more tension and starts the ball rolling!

Meditation works - or prayer - or whatever your belief system is. Realizing that you can't 'fix' everything you worry about, and letting go of what you can't help goes a long way.

As others have said, you're not alone!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #16
Master Chef

I firmly am in the camp of not fighting it. The more you worry about not getting enough sleep, the worse the problem becomes. Of course that is "easier said than done", especially now that I don't work (nothing worse than drifting off to sleep knowing the alarm clock is going off in a few minutes). My answer to the alone-in-the-middle of the night heebie jeebies is reading, reading reading. I may at times get on the computer, but I generally avoid that because I think it makes the problem worse. Never turn on the TV. I read because I can fall asleep doing that (and, gee, I wonder why my glasses are always warped). I have never asked for Rx sleep aids because the one time I was put on them (the doctor insisted because I was having surgery) when I went off I didn't sleep for ages. As it is, one or two nights a week I get a good nights sleep. The rest of the time I just live with it. My librarians know me well. It's amazing how much you can read if you only sleep a few hours a night!

Try to remind yourself that nothing will be as bad in the light of day as it seems at 3 a.m.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #17
Master Chef

You've received some wonderful advice and you have an awesome support group here. I really have no advice to offer that hasn't been already given. I do hope you find the right combination to give you relief. Your in my prayers.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thank you all once again. Things are a bit better. The kava tea and meds are helping. Just wish I didn't have to get hooked on meds for this. It could also be psychological knowing that the meds will help me sleep and am becoming dependent on them...something I surely don't want to do. I finally said to myself F--- it! and move on with what doesn't get accomplished today. I have to think of my health and my family before anything else so now I'm just doing whatever I can and taking it one day at a time. I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Dina ,I say do what ever it takes to feel better I did and I dont care if Im on meds my life is great because of them