Sleep sound machines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's basically psychology. You have the machine and expect it to solve the problem and it did.

Going to bed thinking "I'm not going to sleep tonight" will mean you don't.

Now you have the machine you go to bed thinking "I will go to sleep tonight" and you do.

Rather expensive way of using positive thinking but if it floats your boat - fine.

MC, I have a paid subscription to Psychology Today. :)

As a college Psych major, I know all that. As far as the expense of "floating my boat", it's my boat to float at any price.

It's certainly less costly than a sleep study.

I find that cats give off snooze rays. I think it's easy to sleep soundly with a sleeping kitty snuggled up to me.

One night my husband couldn't sleep. I said I would try to give off some snooze rays. I kidded around and said, "Kitty powers, activate!" (think Sailor Moon), then thought about sending snooze rays. Next thing, I heard snoring. :LOL:

I find that cats give off snooze rays. I think it's easy to sleep soundly with a sleeping kitty snuggled up to me.

One night my husband couldn't sleep. I said I would try to give off some snooze rays. I kidded around and said, "Kitty powers, activate!" (think Sailor Moon), then thought about sending snooze rays. Next thing, I heard snoring. :LOL:

Lol, I like that idea. Feline snooze rays.

I do have to say that cats love us 2 legs when one of us goes out at night and returns in the morning, gives them treats, then sleeps during the day.

It's basically psychology. You have the machine and expect it to solve the problem and it did.

Going to bed thinking "I'm not going to sleep tonight" will mean you don't.

Now you have the machine you go to bed thinking "I will go to sleep tonight" and you do.

Rather expensive way of using positive thinking but if it floats your boat - fine.

And you got your PhD in psychology... where?

Being relaxed is what makes the difference for me between falling asleep or not falling asleep. If a sound machine helps a person relax, then it is worth the money spent. I have a couple of friends who can't fall asleep without the TV on. I don't understand that, at all, but it works for them.

CD

Well, last night with this remarkable new sound machine was the best full night's sleep I've had in a very long time. The sounds of the ocean put me to sleep very quickly and even better, it kept me asleep as I didn't use the timer and it stayed on all night. I know this may just be a one night fluke, and I'll be able to give a better report after a month or so.
This morning, I'm just thankful for a good night's sleep.

So glad to hear that, Kay. Thanks for the update on your new sound machine. Hoping it continues to work for you! :sleep: < Calm sleeping emoji. :)

A sound machine didn't work for me, because I could hear the transition from the end of the loop to the beginning, which triggered my OCD. It was a cheap sound machine, so maybe a better one won't do that. CD

I had a similar issue. The transition from the end of the loop to the beginning wasn't bad, but the loop itself was not long enough, so I was able to determine when it was being repeated. So, OCD me would concentrate on that instead of mindlessly falling asleep. This was years ago, so hopefully the new ones are better.

At home, I just keep the fan on ( 365 days a year). That sound seems to work for me. When I go away, I actually have a ' fan sound app' on my phone which I use in hotels. ( Clearly its not working tonight, since im typing this response at 3:54am, but usually the fan works for me.

What I find funny is, the app now is asking me to upgrade. Upgrade to what ?? its just a fan sound, how many varieties can there be ??:LOL:

And you got your PhD in psychology... where?

Being relaxed is what makes the difference for me between falling asleep or not falling asleep. If a sound machine helps a person relax, then it is worth the money spent. I have a couple of friends who can't fall asleep without the TV on. I don't understand that, at all, but it works for them.
CD

My TV have been on steadily for the whole 11 years I have lived here. I have never shut it off. Not even when I have to go out.

This past year all my energies have been focused on my health. When in the hospital, it seemed that they just loved waking me for some procedure or medicine. As a result, my sleep pattern got all screwed up. Now if I feel tired in the middle of the day, I don't fight it, I just go to sleep. There are many nights when I am wide awake. And so is Pirate. We stay up playing Yatzee or some other card game. Some days I sleep the whole day away, and others when I can fall asleep at nine p.m. and sleep the night through. I let my body tell me when I need sleep and when I don't. With all the medicines and procedures I have been through this past year, my social life is shot. So I have no need to worry about whether I sleep at a regular time or not.

But I do understand your frustration is not being able to sleep at a normal time. You have a husband to consider and a social life. I am happy for you that you found your solution. Good luck. And I am sure SC is happy to have his wife at his side each night. It can be a very comforting feeling knowing all is right with the world.

Another good night. I used the "meadow" setting which is crickets and wind, but hit the richness setting to add in owls, and rain. I listened as long as I could to detect the loop so many of you have complained about but either it's not detectable or I was asleep before I could detect it. I suspect it must be a very long loop. I did make the mistake of setting the timer for 120 minutes and woke up when it timed out, but went right back to sleep with continuous play.

Last edited:
Another good night. I used the "meadow" setting which is crickets and wind, but hit the richness setting to add in owls, and rain. I listened as long as I could to detect the loop so many of you have complained about but either it's not detectable or I was asleep before I could detect it. I suspect it must be a very long loop. I did make the mistake of setting the timer for 120 minutes and woke up when it timed out, but went right back to sleep with continuous play.

Glad it's working for you. SO likes hers too.

I usually put myself to sleep with TV earphones on, listening (not watching) to some show on the History Channel or the Discovery channel. I might buy one of those sleep sound machines. I used to like the pitter patter sound of rain falling at bedtime, but these days, I live in a condo where you can't even hear if it's raining cats and dogs outside or not. :LOL::(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom