"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Sleep sound machines?

Didn't know where to ask this so I guess "off topic" is the best choice.

Like many, I have lots of trouble with insomnia some nights worse than others. I take Melatonin with limited success, and I'm not willing to have the side effects of drugs for sleeping.

I'm wondering if anyone has used a sound machine, as I just ordered this top of the line one to try. It looks much better than the less expensive sound machines and it will arrive tomorrow. I figure I wouldn't bat an eye to pay the same for a cooking tool, so we'll see how this works out for my sleeping.
Best Sound Machines - Consumer Reviews

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Like many, I have lots of trouble with insomnia some nights worse than others. I take Melatonin with limited success, and I'm not willing to have the side effects of drugs for sleeping.

I'm wondering if anyone has used a sound machine, as I just ordered this top of the line one to try. It looks much better than the less expensive sound machines and it will arrive tomorrow. I figure I wouldn't bat an eye to pay the same for a cooking tool, so we'll see how this works out for my sleeping.

Aloha KL!

YES! we used a sound machine for quite some time back when, also tried Melatonin and a product called "Calm" (I get it at Sprouts).
All of the above work, for a time. We've found that switching up the different "sleep assistance" works.
An UBER comfy bed and room temp, a dark room and/or a sleep mask and ear plugs helps too.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

These nature sounds usually put me to sleep. Native American flute sounds also work.
There are hundreds of these on YouTube. You'll need good speakers.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I'm a notoriously "wide awake after midnight" person.

I haven't got a sleeping machine as such but I usually have the bedside radio, set on timed, playing softly for about 15 ins or half an hour after I've got into bed and settled down. Nothing excitable - classical music suitable to the time of the night or stations which do "smooth night music" as it's called by the announcers).

Do you have access to a qualified herbalist? S/he may be able to suggest something that will help but not have the effect of sleeping tablets from the Doctor. External things like lavender oil on the pillow, or, if your skin isn't reactive, dabbed under the nose, have worked for me. Our grandmothers didn't used to put bunches of lavender in the linen cupboard just to put off moths.

I hope you find something to help you sort out your insomnia.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

I might look into one of those sound machines, Kay. Thanks for posting the one that you got. Please let us know how it works.

Every now and then I'm wide awake at 2AM and it's so annoying. I have my bedroom ceiling fan on almost every night of the year, so far that's 'kind of' working for some calming background sounds. I also take melatonin, but I take a break from it every couple of weeks because I think it ceases to work after a while and interferes with the melatonin that our own body produces. I dunno - I do know that occasional insomnia is hard to deal with. I really hope this sound machine helps you.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Back when I used to smoke cannabis, about 40 yrs ago, one side effect was it put me to sleep. These days, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner also makes me fall asleep easily.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
These nature sounds usually put me to sleep. Native American flute sounds also work.
There are hundreds of these on YouTube. You'll need good speakers.

RF!! I'd be UNDER the bed shaking like a dog with that thunder!
I put on my good headphones to listen. Ohhh how I hate thunder.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

SO has a sound machine and Alexa in her bedroom. She uses either one or the other and it seems to help her.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #9
Master Chef

Be careful with Melatonin. It can backfire on you, and actually make your insomnia worse.

A sound machine didn't work for me, because I could hear the transition from the end of the loop to the beginning, which triggered my OCD. It was a cheap sound machine, so maybe a better one won't do that.

I can't sleep if I am hot, or without covers. So, when I have insomnia, I set the thermostat down and curl up in a cocoon of covers. That saves me money in the winter, since the heater runs less, and costs me extra money in the summer when I need to use the AC to cool the room enough.

CD
Old 10-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago, when my job got very stressful and I was having trouble sleeping, I came across this guided meditation app. I tried the free version and it helped, so I bought the paid version - it was only about $2.

It has several background sounds to choose from in addition to selecting the amount of time it plays. It has been a great help to me. The voice is very soothing and the guidance gives you something to concentrate on outside of your own worries. It works on my Android phone and Samsung tablet there are Apple versions as well. I use it every night. There are also daytime relaxation versions that available for free.

https://www.meditationoasis.com/simply-being-app/