"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

One thing everyone should do with a problem back is when you first get up lay on your side and sit up side ways to get out of bed instead of sitting strait up and then turning to get out of bed.It really helps on not stressing your back when you first get up.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

OOh...back pain, it's horrid. I have it constantly (along with migraines). I feel for you, I know how awful it is.

I've had two epidurals for back pain..no luck.

I am only 34 (well...creeping up on 35 in 3 weeks) and have a plefera (sp) of problems from mental to physical...I just found out on Friday I have osteo arthritis.

Since I also have extreme anxiety and insomnia, my Dr told me (on Friday) that my lack of sleep and "internal wiring" has my brain not being able to tell my muscles to relax, even when I do sleep. This, and my weak muscles, is what is the cause of my constant neck/shoulder/full back pain.

So, to make a long story short, I really do feel for you. Other than strengthing exercises (yeah, I am not good at doing them either) and seeking medical attention, I don't have much advise for you but do hope you get help soon.

Let us know if you have any progress please!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks so much everyone for good advices!! Yeah, this morning I used the method suggested by GB and jpm to get up, that worked very well!! That was a really valuable input, thanks!!
Chops, I will have someone look at my spine and see if it's warped, just have to wait until this evening until I can use either Cris or someone at the gym, it is sort of hard to check all by myself...

Anyway, I brought this up to Simona last night, an instructor at the gym with whom I do fitboxe, spinning and body balance, she immediately asked me if I spend a lot of hours in front of computer, and I had to say "si".
Then she asked me how I ususally position myself on the chair. I had to kinda pause and think about it, then I realised I usually am perched at the front end of the chair, leaning slightly forward.
Well Simona's opinion is this is the main culprit. She told me to try to keep my entire back rested against the back support, especially if I stay there for a long time. This seemed to make sense to me, though I already had the problem before I started using computer so much, she told me this problem also affects a lot of people who stay on their feet for hours at work, which I did a lot, too for years.
She also suggested some effective exercises and stretching routine which I must make a point of spending about 10-15 minutes for at least a few times a week, stretching every day.
I will try and take up on this routine for a couple of weeks and see if I feel better. And if not, probably I will go talk to a chiropractor.

Thanks again everyone, as always I really appreciate your support!!

p.s. Angie, like you I used to suffer insomnia mainly caused by chronic anxiety and "internal wiring", also starting at my school days. (at the beginning, my aversion against going to school everyday was the cause, but the symptom persisted even after finishing all my schooling...) I guess I am naturally tense person and not good at making myself completely relaxed. Luckily and magically this became much less of a problem, to the point almost non existent since I have been with Cris, which has been 3 and half years. (Now I often sleep too much lol!!) For me the best remedy turned out to be a right partner