Sluggish lower back problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
I really hope this doesn't sound like any whinging or moaning, I am more curious concerning my pesky little "problemino" in my lower back, my weak spot. It is nothing like incapacitating or torturous, just annoying. I have been always plagued by it as far back as I can remember, even when I was growing up. I don't feel a pain but it is very often sort of limp and stiff at the same time, the worst is when I try to get up from the bed, even when I am already wide awake it takes all of my will power to lift myself, because the lower back feels just like an overcooked noodle, and just doesn't want to support anything in upright position. Sometimes I am okay once I am up, but there are also times my back continue to "protest" and I have to will myself hard not to go back and lay down for some time until it finally gets used to the position.

It is strange, I am quite active and nimble physically and very fit in every other way, the only problem is that I am very inflexible when I try to bend forward with my legs straightened, which I suspect may be connected to this problem. I also detest the movement of bending over and picking up things from the floor, of course it is not like anyone's favourite activity, but the movement is particularly unnatural, awkward and uncomfortable for me (I trained my toes very well for this purpose), and also I suspect this problem being connected to my issue with my lower back.
Another thing is I find it difficult to remain in the same position, standing or sitting for a long time, the same spot start to stiffen and become uncomfortable after a while and I have to shift around constantly.

I know there are lots of people suffering lower back "PAIN", but this is not the case for me, it doesn't hurt but it is just annoying. It never has been serious enough to seek a medical attention, and I never hear of the similar problem spoken of by any other people, so it has remained a mystery to me for many years.
Is my problem normal or abnormal? And does anyone have a suggestion for alleviating my condition? Any input will be appreciated!!

Urman.......you might want to go get a check up to be certain. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in my early 20's.....I'm 40 now. I've only came out of remission one time since that first diagnoses with full blown pain with limited mobility. Now as I'm getting older I've noticed in in other joint areas. Some are painful but I'm able to take a pain/inflammation tablet and use a heating pad and thats all I need to do. Now that its affecting my back its just like you said an annoying sensation. I rarely take anything for that area. I'm not saying you have arthritis I'm just saying if its enough for you to be concerned enough to reach out then it wouldn't hurt to go get a check up. I didn't even know that the arthritis had moved into my back until I went in for a xray for something else and they detected it. I knew i had occasional aches there but like I said it was tolerable and didn't concern me.

Get checked out. It does not sound like anything major (in my professional medical opinion of course :LOL:), but a Doctor or better yet a chiropractor should be able to tell you what is going on and how to help it feel better.

As far as getting out of bed, try this trick that Momerlyn (my Aunt who also happens to be a DC member) taught me. instead of sitting straight up, roll over onto your side and slowly raise yourself up from that position. Even if that has nothing to do with the original problem you were talking about it should still help you get up.

Thanks for the advices, Sizz and GB!! I really don't think it is anything to do with arthritis, I have absolutely no other problems in mobility except for this and it is not progressive, the problem remained just the same for many years. But you guys may be right, getting checked upon wouldn't hurt. Chiropractor may be a good idea, and I know a friend of friend of mine who has treated my friend successfully for some years.

Thanks for the trick for getting up GB!! One of my gym instructors uses this technique during the stretch, never thought of actually putting it in practice this way!! How's Momerlyn these days? I haven't seen her around for some time!!

Yeah it is a great trick for anyone who has trouble getting out of bed. It amazes me at how much easier it makes it.

I actually have not talked to her in a while and have not seen her on DC in a bit. This week she is probably busy getting ready for the Jewish holidays. I will have to ask my mom if she has talked to her recently.

At my age, stiffness and discomfort in the back (or legs, or neck or arms) is to be expected and lived with.

At your age, it is not the norm and you should have it checked out. Wouldn't it be sometihing if there was a simple solution to putting an end to your discomfort! You don't get extra points for suffering.

Have you ever tried using a strength training routine or machine to target and strengthen your lower back muscles? It has to be done carefully and with professional guidance for it to be beneficial, however, the results, I can testify personally are tremendous.
I have worked in the medical field for over twenty years and have also suffered from various "annoyances" as you call them in my lower back, and the weakness you are describing sounds very much like a poor strenth definement in your most needed muscle area. Those muscles support and guard your spine and have a huge "input" as to how well your structure works together.
There are VERY good and specific exercises and excellant weight training machines and professionals which could probably help you get some changes made.
And don't ever rule out arthritis, or even degeneration, sorry, but these things affect much more than half of our population "eventually", our bodies age and arthritis, degeneration, can all be a part of aging, bearing weight and miles on our bodies, etc. Size and activity aren't enough to protect us.
Take what works and leave the rest, but I hope you find some relief soon.

Thanks, I have been thinking of doing more exercises for my problem area, and I try to do when I remember.
I am just not disciplined enough I guess to stick with the training for the area that responds poorly to my effort. I really need to make a habit of doing it more often... also I would like to try hanging myself upside down, though immensely uncomfortable now for the head, but I think that's the ideal way to get a complete stretching in the area, which I feel it very much needed. Now I am heading for the gym within half an hour... I will start with these routines:)
I really appreciate all the suggestions and support!!

I feel for you Urmaniac. I had a constant dull ache in my lower back for many years. I never made anything of it and would normally forget about it. But sometimes I would catch myself massaging my lower back against the seat back or the door jamb. Then I found out years later that this was because I have a slightly S-curved spine, diagnozed as Scoliosis. You can tell easily if you bend down at the waist to try to reach your toes and ask somebody to check if your back is level on both sides. Mine is higher on the right side when I do this. Further x-rays confirmed it.

I think you go to the gym regularly right? Ever since I was diagnosed, I stopped doing weight exercises that compressed my spine. This tremendously eased up the dull ache and I don't feel it anymore, except when I overdo things. A massage usually fixes this.

Best is to have a professional check you out. Good luck!

lower back problems

Please go and check it out with your doctor. They can take xrays and see exactly what the problem is.

I have terrible lower back pains and a lot of it comes from my weight. I did see my Orthopedic Surgeon last week and he took a lot of xrays. He said that my arthritis has gotten much worse since I last saw him 2 years ago.

He gave me a shot in my left and right knee and also my right arm. Usually the shots take the pain away for about 3 months.

Jill and Jolie

:) One thing everyone should do with a problem back is when you first get up lay on your side and sit up side ways to get out of bed instead of sitting strait up and then turning to get out of bed.It really helps on not stressing your back when you first get up.

OOh...back pain, it's horrid. I have it constantly (along with migraines). I feel for you, I know how awful it is.

I've had two epidurals for back pain..no luck.

I am only 34 (well...creeping up on 35 in 3 weeks) and have a plefera (sp) of problems from mental to physical...I just found out on Friday I have osteo arthritis.

Since I also have extreme anxiety and insomnia, my Dr told me (on Friday) that my lack of sleep and "internal wiring" has my brain not being able to tell my muscles to relax, even when I do sleep. This, and my weak muscles, is what is the cause of my constant neck/shoulder/full back pain.

So, to make a long story short, I really do feel for you. Other than strengthing exercises (yeah, I am not good at doing them either) and seeking medical attention, I don't have much advise for you but do hope you get help soon.

Let us know if you have any progress please!!!

Thanks so much everyone for good advices!! Yeah, this morning I used the method suggested by GB and jpm to get up, that worked very well!!:) That was a really valuable input, thanks!!
Chops, I will have someone look at my spine and see if it's warped, just have to wait until this evening until I can use either Cris or someone at the gym, it is sort of hard to check all by myself...:wacko:

Anyway, I brought this up to Simona last night, an instructor at the gym with whom I do fitboxe, spinning and body balance, she immediately asked me if I spend a lot of hours in front of computer, and I had to say "si".
Then she asked me how I ususally position myself on the chair. I had to kinda pause and think about it, then I realised I usually am perched at the front end of the chair, leaning slightly forward.
Well Simona's opinion is this is the main culprit. She told me to try to keep my entire back rested against the back support, especially if I stay there for a long time. This seemed to make sense to me, though I already had the problem before I started using computer so much, she told me this problem also affects a lot of people who stay on their feet for hours at work, which I did a lot, too for years.
She also suggested some effective exercises and stretching routine which I must make a point of spending about 10-15 minutes for at least a few times a week, stretching every day.
I will try and take up on this routine for a couple of weeks and see if I feel better. And if not, probably I will go talk to a chiropractor.

Thanks again everyone, as always I really appreciate your support!!

p.s. Angie, like you I used to suffer insomnia mainly caused by chronic anxiety and "internal wiring", also starting at my school days. (at the beginning, my aversion against going to school everyday was the cause, but the symptom persisted even after finishing all my schooling...) I guess I am naturally tense person and not good at making myself completely relaxed. Luckily and magically this became much less of a problem, to the point almost non existent since I have been with Cris, which has been 3 and half years. (Now I often sleep too much lol!!) For me the best remedy turned out to be a right partner :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom