"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Yankee's pitcher killed

Yankee's pitcher Corey Lidle killed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15223650/?GT1=8618

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I heard about this today at around 4pm est. I didnt realize until just now when I read your post kitchenelf that the yankee's pitcher was killed, nor did I realize the plane was registered to him. I suppose more info will be on the news tonight. I certainly hope all are safe in the high rise condo, as well as those that happened to be passing by on the street when the plane hit.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

Very sad!! Prayers to the families and friends involved.
I can only imagine the terror of anyone near enough to see it. It would have given me heart failure for sure.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Yup released here in the uk a few hours ago 4 people are killed
Old 10-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I was returning home from a cooking demo in Queens as the news hit the radio. Strangely, if it was a clearer day, I would have seen it happen, based on where I was traveling from. The sky was quite overcast, instead.
The plane took off from the airport about a quarter mile from my home.

My first thought was 'not again'....but I realized that small pleasure craft usually means inexperienced pilots, as this case is turning out to be.

Yet another sad tragedy with much speculation to come before the answers, to be sure.

At this time, there are 2 confirmed dead, both from the plane. Mayor Mike will not confirm it is Corey Lidel or not...pending next of kin notification. Law enforcements officials have made a confirmation, but it's not official until next of kin is notified.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Yet another sad tragedy with much speculation to come before the answers, to be sure.
oh, i get it, you're watching fox news.

i wonder what happened to the parachute? the plane was supposedly equipped with a rocket fired safety chute.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
oh, i get it, you're watching fox news.

i wonder what happened to the parachute? the plane was supposedly equipped with a rocket fired safety chute.
I never watch fox five bucky...I don't care for their politics. I'd been watching NBC since I got home at 3:15.

The model of that plane can or cannot be equipped with the parachute, depending on if it was installed at the time of purchase. It's like getting a car with the regular radio or upgrading to the BOSE system. At this time, it's still unclear if this plane even had the chute.

From what I heard, he was already too low for the chute to be effective. He left Teterboro, flew up the Hudson and circled the Statue of Liberty, then went up the east river. Shortly after he passed the 59th Street Bridge he dipped below the radar and by the time he'd gone less than than 20 blocks he hit the building. So..'speculation' is that, if he had the chute, he'd probably not had the time to deploy it.

I'd heard something interesting regarding the plane he purchased. It's been said to be a 'very fast' plane. A pilot compared the situation to a new driver who'd been taught in a station wagon to drive, suddenly getting behind the wheel of a porche. It's my understanding he only clocked 75 hours of air time. Again, speculation, but perhaps not enough for this aircraft?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i was only kidding about you watching fox.

you wouldn't do that, would you?

i heard something about how he said he had the chute in an interview with the yankees. it is rocket fired, like an ejection seat, so you can be pretty low to use it. in fact, you just can't be going too fast. i saw a show on their development, and they have a ring that keeps them closed until the aircraft slows enough (from drag) to allow the chute to open without getting torn apart.

he might have tried to use it too late.

and yes, 75 hours isn't much. it's barely enough for instrument rating, but i don't think he was qualified for that.
instrument rating is a freaky thing to do. you test by flying with a big hood on that blocks all of your vision out the windows, and only allows you to see the instrument panel. you take off, meet markers, and land using only your altimeter, artificial horizon, and other indicators.

he was flying vfr (visual flight rules), at just above minimum levels, supposedly.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
How horribly sad and tragic. I heard the breaking news and my heart just sunk. Many thoughts and prayers going out to all involved.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i was only kidding about you watching fox.

you wouldn't do that, would you?

i heard something about how he said he had the chute in an interview with the yankees. it is rocket fired, like an ejection seat, so you can be pretty low to use it. in fact, you just can't be going too fast. i saw a show on their development, and they have a ring that keeps them closed until the aircraft slows enough (from drag) to allow the chute to open without getting torn apart.

he might have tried to use it too late.

and yes, 75 hours isn't much. it's barely enough for instrument rating, but i don't think he was qualified for that.
instrument rating is a freaky thing to do. you test by flying with a big hood on that blocks all of your vision out the windows, and only allows you to see the instrument panel. you take off, meet markers, and land using only your altimeter, artificial horizon, and other indicators.

he was flying vfr (visual flight rules), at just above minimum levels, supposedly.

Instrument rating sounds like flying blind! I don't think I could ever do it. He did mention the chute in an interview, now that you mention it. I've seen so much footage already tonight that all the clips are becoming one.
I've already heard that there was one distress call to Laguardia, but there is no 'black box' on this plane. I guess time will eventually show what happened.
You know my 'philly' guy is pretty sad....