Small plane crashes into NY highrise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pdswife said:
.....wouldn't it be nice to turn on the tv and hear some happy news.....?
Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit years ago. I forgot who the actor was, either Belushi or Jane Curtain. The skit was called "The Happy News". It shows the news anchor sitting behond the news desk. The announce comes on and says "And now it is time for The Happy News". the anchor just sits there and does not say a single word.

abc tried doing an "on the brighter side" segment after all of the bad evening news last night.

they reported that kentucky derby winner barbaro is doing much better, and has had another smaller cast put on his broken rear leg. they showed pics of the horse up and walking. it was nice to see.

the most horrible example of yellow journalism (i hate using that term, because they're not journalists, rather sensationalists) i saw last night was from nancy grace. 6 or 7 hours after it was known that the plane that crashed was not due to terrorism, she broadcast a fear-inciting segment about "who's watching and protecting our skies".
it was an accident by an inexperienced pilot.
it amazed me that she was trying to get people to overreact, for ratings.
does she have any journalistic integrity? any scruples at all?

she the court-tv and cnn talking head that is famous for attacking crime suspects on the air, trying to gat a "perry mason" type courtroom confession out of them.
i guess she forgot that in this country, your supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and have the right to a trial.
she's the absolute worst example of how bad the media can be.

buckytom said:
she the court-tv and cnn talking head that is famous for attacking crime suspects on the air, trying to gat a "perry mason" type courtroom confession out of them.
i guess she forgot that in this country, your supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, and have the right to a trial.
she's the absolute worst example of how bad the media can be.

.....and she seems to be on the downside of a very large roller-coaster hill with no end in site. She needs a very long vacation. It's hard to believe they actually let her get on the air and do the whole "who's watching our skies" routine.

kitchenelf said:
.....and she seems to be on the downside of a very large roller-coaster hill with no end in site. She needs a very long vacation. It's hard to believe they actually let her get on the air and do the whole "who's watching our skies" routine.

There could be an upside to this whole thing. Maybe sometime in the not-too-distant future, the question will not be "who's watching our skies?" but "who's watching CNN?"

I'm totally disenchanted with TV news. The sensationalism is inappropriate as it is unnecessarily upsetting. I hate the teasing they do to get you to watch the news at 11:00 (or any other time).

Let's not even get into how they drag out reporting just to stay on the air even when they have nothing to report.

TV news is becoming more like the tabloids at the supermarket checkouts every day.

I feel better now

I couldn't agree more Andy. We have a cafe in our building at work. I used to get food there 3 times a week for a long time. They have a big TV on outside of the cafe that has CNN on. Without fail everytime I went down the banner on the bottom of the screen said "Breaking News". Almost never is it anything worthy of being called breaking news imo.

Hah! You think THAT's weird? Our dear NBC affiliate in Paducah, KY wants so badly to play with the big boys the not only have BREAKING NEWS, we have BREAKING WEATHER, and Katie E just told me they were hyping BREAKING HEALTH UPDATES. How's that for crying wolf?

Last edited:
yes, they spend much time trying to break our hearts, quite forgetting real people are really getting killed, and who have real relatives and friends who are really grieving. I will never forget the story of a mother who was watching her daughter struggling in the Potomac. Mum was on her knees screaming at the tv, urging her girl on. I am pleased to say daughter was saved.

Back
Top Bottom