"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

I live and work in a city of one billion (seems like). I don't like the traffic and the sirens. If I didn't own my small business here I would have packed out of this chit hole decades ago. A small, quiet mountain community would be nice. And I don't mind being an hour away from the amenities of big box stores, health care, etc...

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
Master Chef

Thanks for starting this most interesting thread Cheryl!

The SousChef and I live in what we call our little piece of paradise.

We're in a town of 20,000 surrounded by citrus and avocado orchards. It's called The Heritage Valley. We have a little airport a mile away for small planes that only can fly in the day time. Makes SC a happy camper for sure, as we sit on our pretty front porch watching the airplanes (when he's not flying one) and the beautiful 2,000 ft. mountain as a backdrop. We have one supermarket, a great Mexican market, and two big drug stores. It's only a pretty half hour drive to the coast and beautiful uncrowded beaches, Trader Joes and Costco. It's never too hot or too cold here.
I'm happy to say, there's nothing we don't like here. I have lived in this county all my long life. This is the first time the SC has lived "out in the country" and he loves it too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Master Chef

^^^ K, you live in beautiful country there, The Heritage Valley.
Actually, it's just about an hour's worth of driving from where I live. I've bicycled through that part of the county numerous times.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
^^^ K, you live in beautiful country there, The Heritage Valley.
Actually, it's just about an hour's worth of driving from where I live. I've bicycled through that part of the county numerous times.
Next time you're around here, give us a holler RF! You're welcome on our porch anytime!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
Wine Guy

I live in an apartment at the moment and hate it most of the time. it's a basement unit, which means no balcony. There isn't much of an outdoor area to enjoy, either.

That said, there are some good qualities. Mall of America and Twin Cities Outlet Mall are a stone's throw. I'm not much of a shopper, but it's convenient when I need to. There are also about a dozen grocery stores within 5 miles, including Hispanic, Asian, and Indian specialty grocers. Parks are in abundance, and I have three sets of good friends that live in the area as well.

It's not an ideal situation, and I can't wait until my lease is up, but it works for now.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks K, that's a very inviting porch! Very cool...
Old 05-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
Master Chef

On a positive note, one thing I like about where I live (Echo Park) is that since hipsters have taken over the community the property values have skyrocketed. They've been buying up old homes and businesses in the area and doing complete renovations on them. It's turned into a complete different culture here. And there are pockets of these changes taking place in many parts of L.A.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Small town living, big city living, and anything in between...?

I like:

Living out of town, in a lovely wooded area with plenty of wildlife. And a subdivision pool.
Close proximity to a medium-smallish town, and 35-45 minutes away from a few medium-size cities, one of which has a Costco.
Access to the mighty Mississippi.

I don't like:

The gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks that are a part of country life here.
Very cold, windy winters and hot, muggy, buggy summers.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #19
Master Chef

I'm with you on that muggy buggy stuff, Dawg. Since Himself got Lyme disease I've been paranoid about ticks ever since. Thankfully, he's had no long-term effect since it was caught right away.

Our son is a city mouse, our daughter a country mouse. We prefer the spaces between, so I guess you could call us suburb mice.

Current house is in a town of just over 11,000. Our previous home was in a suburb of about 32,000, but in spite of its larger size it seemed cozier. Except for the original owners of the houses on our street (because most of us were transplants from somewhere else and we HAD to bond), most people right by us are indifferent to forming neighborhood friendships.

What I really like up here:
- Cheaper grocery prices than "back home". I'll miss that whenif we move.
- If we want to head to a shore, we can get to the coast of CT in about an hour. Even though it's about the same distance, traffic makes getting to the east coast of MA a longer trip.
- Real mountains are about a 3-4 hour trip up to parts of VT or NH.

What I don't like:
- We're too far from our kids.
- I wish our neighbors with the barking dogs would move. Or train their dogs.
- Our current house in in a town of just over 11,000. Our last home was in a suburb of 32,000. In spite of that, the area we live in now just doesn't seem as cozy as the old digs did.
- More often than not, people can be stand-offish up here. If you smile at strangers, most of them act like you have two heads. I liked it better when you could make a new best friend by the time you checked out of a long grocery line!
- Driving up here! The roads are narrow, winding, and unmarked. The drivers are all in a hurry and will stop at nothing to be first in line. One of these day's I'm afraid I'll get shot, though. When I pull up to a red light and the car on my left is the one who went through all sorts of antics to get ahead of me, I just glance their way and smile. Got a lot further, eh buddy?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

I am about 70 miles south of St Louis, just outside a small town, in a county with NO stoplights and no 4 lane highways.

I love the area, love my little house on my little hill, love my gardens, love the weather. Lots of wildlife and birds, hills and valleys, two lane roads that swoop and curve. I am never moving again. They will be carrying me out of this house.

I hate winter, and I am very happy that they are usually mild here. I do miss having a good grocery store--one in town is grimy and they allow smoking in the deli in the front of the store (!!) and the other is a Sav-a-lot, with limited selections. I also hate the fact that my kids and grandkids are not close enough.