"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Talking about coincidences. When I was still in Singapore, I was invited to a reception to honour the then Greek President who was travelling through Singapore en route to Australia and New Zealand. During the reception, we were entertained by a military band playing well-known Greek songs. On the spur of the moment, I thought that making a special request for one of my favourite songs would be in order. I proceeded to do so and to my utter shock DH shoved me forward to sing the requested song as a duet with the band singer. Later we discovered that the band singer was from Volos, a city near my DH's hometown and our present residence as well.

About three years later, in October last year, the new President of Greece accompanied by his Moldovan counterpart visited my DH's hometown. They were participating in an event commemorating the return of the remains of an illustrious man of letters who lived for the greater part of his life and died in Moldova. There was of course a military band to take part in the event. During the last stage of the event, while photographing the two presidents laying wreaths on the tomb of the honoured person, I noticed a member of the military band, this time dressed in army fatigue and helmet beckoning to me to the extent that the circumstances allowed. At first I thought that he was beckoning to someone behind me. However, on closer look, there he was my singing buddy from the Singapore presidential visit! Small world indeed!

In the end, we were able to get his phone number here and pass on to him photographs we took from both presidential visits.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

Here is another story of mine. I befriended this guy on Internet cigar board. We were friendly for couple of years, though never discussed exact location or real names. One day I was traveling to CA, so I mentioned it to him, so he asked me where I will be and maybe we could meat. Turns out he lives in the same town as my in laws, so we met. Then we start talking, and he goes to the same synagogue as my in-laws, he knows not only them, but all their friends and also my friends, in that town, and the rabbi that belongs to a different synagogue who is also like my favorite rabbi in the whole world, the freakiest thing was when we pulled out our cigars and cigar lighters they were identical.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I went on a week-long trip to this little town in Tennessee as a volunteer to help out needy folks. We were split up into groups and assigned a household for the week. It turned out that the lady my group was supposed to build a porch for lived in the same town I am from (Friendswood, Texas) and had worked as a janitor in the same junior high school I attended! How crazy is that?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Cleveland isn't a small town! LOL

No it sure isn't Elf lol
Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

In the A/E world I work in it's fairly common to run into people you either worked with before or teamed with on projects before. We change partners, but we're all going to the same dances it seems.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Head Chef

My mother was 'stolen' from an orphanage at a young age. She never knew her biological family and we never knew any of our relatives on her side of the family.

I posted what little information I knew about her on a geneology forum and years later the message was seen by someone in Oregon who recognized the information and told his family who shortly afterward made contact with my mother and introduced her to sisters and brothers she didn't remember.

While that's not exactly "small world" material.... (or, rather, it's an example of how the Internet makes the world smaller).

Turns out that the person who saw my message was my biological first cousin whom, as I've said, I had never met... who, coincidentally and quite separately, moved to Las Vegas from Oregon one month before I did from Vermont. We now live close (small world) and socialize frequently.

((I apologize for repeating myself to all those who already know this story))
Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

It is a very cool story and one well worth repeating Z!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Cleveland isn't a small town! LOL

No it sure isn't Elf lol
I know!!!! And we should have gotten together when I was there in July!!!!!! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
My dad likes to say how certain people are "hubs". My mom is a hub. No matter where she is she will always bump into someone she knows. She has been on trips to other countries and she bumps into someone she knows. Even other continents. It is a little freaky when it happens, but it does not surprise us anymore.
GB, if you don't know the book, you should check out The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell. It is about the different roles people have in making product popularity happen, but my interest in reading it had more to do with the types of people he described. Your dad's "hub" is Gladwell's "connector."
Old 11-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I will have to check that out bullseye.