"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Small World

It really is such a small world. I am sitting here in the office talking about GPS units with my co-workers. I tell a story of how when I first got mine I went out for a ride. I told the GPS to take me to the nearest waterfall. It directed me about 3 towns over to the nearest city. It brought my down this one way street, past a hiking trail, to this really cool waterfall. As I go into more detail about where I was, the girl who sits next to me said "You should have stopped in. That is my street".

Talk about coincidence!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
WOW GB! It really is a small world. At a wine tasting a few months ago I was sitting across from this guy - he mentioned the town I grew up in and we started talking - he knows the exact house I grew up in!!!!!! Cleveland isn't a small town! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

That is pretty wild Kitchenelf!

My dad likes to say how certain people are "hubs". My mom is a hub. No matter where she is she will always bump into someone she knows. She has been on trips to other countries and she bumps into someone she knows. Even other continents. It is a little freaky when it happens, but it does not surprise us anymore.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have one without a GPS.
DH and I met and married in NYC. We lived in an apartment on the westside--a ground floor with a little "garden" while he finished his residency.
Move forward 4 years. DH is in the ARmy and chief of ___dept. at Walter Reed. Talking to chief of _____. DH went to Columbia.Other guy went to Cornell. They compare notes. Upshot--we lived in the SAME apartment one year after he did!!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

That is so cool Gretchen!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It always amazes me that the degrees of seperation are getting less and less.

When I lived in Holland, I started making small talk with one of the very few Americans that lived in my building. Come to find out, he had just moved from Virginia, Virginia Beach to be more exact, and his house was a stones throw from mine, on Birdneck Rd. I had to travel half way around the earth to meet that niegbhor!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Master Chef

Let me tell you how small this world really is.

So I had this classmate back in my Soviet days. We were never very close, but as any good classmates would always said hello and how are you whenever we met. Then some day I was told that he moved to US of A. Couple of years latter (late 80s) I started planning to move there (or is it here) too. I have first cousin who has been living here since 1979 or so. So Im talking to him asking questions, you know, stuff like that. He, as an example, is telling me about this friend of his who came here recently and what he is doing with his life, how he is adjusting, working etc. This going on for couple of years. Finally, I arrive here. The first evening I go visit my cousin and he says that this guy, hes been telling me about, is coming for diner too. Okay, great, what difference is it for me. Its his friend, right?! Or is it? Guess who walks in the door. Yeap, you guessed it right, my classmate. We were so surprised, both of us, we never put 2 and 2 together. That is Small world!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My husband finally confessed that he had heard "of" me about 5 years before we met. He lived in Florida I lived in North Carolina.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
CharlieD that is amazing!!!!

Was talking with our Insurance Broker yesterday after he returned from a vacation in Tuscany. Seems he and his wife spent one night in a hotel somewhere ( before going to a Villa..lucky things ) and as they checked in a gentleman came up to his wife and asked if she was Sandra so and so. She said yes, and it transpires that they too were classmates years ago here in New Zealand. Now what makes it even more incredible is that he also used to work with Sandras husband unbeknownest to both of them!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Head Chef

I think I am a hub, GB. My latest is this week. I am trying to track a particular thing down for DH for Christmas, very easy in UK, very hard in Italy. So, last week I try an email address given on the Italian Society relevant to this thing, and because she has an Italian surname, correspond painstakingly in Italian. Funnily enough we have a couple of shared interests, flagged by a random comment of hers last week, so we keep emailing about that and when I mention that I am sorry it is taking me so long to reply to her rapid emails, but I am slowly translating everything from English. Now my surname could seem Italian, and hers is, so neither of us twigged in a fortnight the other was english, then I notice a reference to something else she says, and it turns out she was my f-i-l's secretary a few years ago, (DH's surname is double barrelled so was not immeadiately obvious to her, especially with the Itlian element thrown in)