Smelly ice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I have a ice dispenser in the freezer door, and sometimes the ice smells like it is old or off smelling. Perhaps I shouldn't make more ice than I would use in a week. Any thoughts on preventing stinky ice?

the filter is not showing red light yet but it has the orange light, meaning it will change to red when it needs changing.

This also happens with pre-made ice.

I have a separate ice machine - you know, one of those portable ones that you add water to yourself. I usually make and bag some ice ahead of time for those times when I want iced water, tea, coffee, etc..

And if the ice is stored in the freezer two long, it begins to pick up smells from the freezer right through the bag!

So yes, ice CAN go stale and smelly even when it's bagged, much less in your in-freezer unit's storage bin. And it doesn't taste very good either.

I also agree - dump it and make some new ice cubes.

Make sure that the switch is in the on position and check the water line going to the refrigerator and to see that there is water.You need to check in order that the line are all clear. My suggestion is if you don't know follow the manual, you should call a technician for that problem.

It sounds to me like you are not using your ice fast enough. Since I had a lot of extended family when I had an ice-maker (only once in my life), that wasn't a problem. Now I have to make ice by hand, and I put any excess in sealed baggies. My response is to take the bin and throw the ice into the garden (or pots), clean, and start over. Make sure the other items in your freezer are well-sealed.

Back
Top Bottom