"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Smoking ban in cars

My hometown in Maine is the first in our state to make smoking banned in cars that have children under age 18 in the car. People can now be fined. This takes effect on Jan 18, and police are hoping that people will do this willingly.

I am a smoker, but never smoke in my car. There are two sides to this. Some say the government should not pry into what people do in their cars/space, others agree that it's not good to smoke in the car where children may be.

Personally, I dont like smoking in cars, it's too congested for me even as a smoker, plus I wouldnt subject kids to the smoke.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Master Chef
I never liked climbing into cars that reeked with ciggy smoke. I am a former smoker... so I know. I also think that if you are a responsible parent, you would not smoke in a closed area when your children are present unless they smoke too.

I for one like the idea because hopefully it would mean less ciggy butts on the ground!!!! Why can't they use the ashtray instead of my front lawn????

When I smoked, I never smoked in the house or smoked in the car. It really makes it hard to sell your vehicle when it smells like a smokers lounge.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wow! I guess it's one way to "protect the children" since they don't have a say - but - Wow at the same time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Its sick. They have NO right!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm a smoker. I don't smoke in the car when my son's with me for the simple fact he has asthma. I don't smoke in my house either. But I'm tired of people stepping in and telling other people where they can and can't smoke.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Senior Cook
They'll be telling us what we can and can't do in the bedroom next! Keep out of my private space, law-makers!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #7
Head Chef
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Wow! I guess it's one way to "protect the children" since they don't have a say - but - Wow at the same time.
My sentiments exactly. I quit about 5 years ago and am all for protecting the children and really hate to see butts thrown out the window...

" - but - Wow at the same time."

If it is necesary, for the health of a child, to criminalize smoking in your car, how can society tolerate smoking in your house if it is also occupied by children?
Old bachelor cook

Old 01-10-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
Sous Chef
It's coming in to play here to, also fines if butts are thrown out of windows. The only place where we can realy smoke legally is at home when you consider all the places we can't
Old 01-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Sous Chef
If these people WON'T protect their own children, then I guess someone should. At the same time, I'm not sure it will be legal if tested. But there is NO doubt that second hand smoke is a health hazard and these children have no recourse to avoid it. It can become a public health issue when the health care system is accessed for their pulmonary disease.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Plus, people who smoke in cars tend to view the entire earth as their ashtray.
How many times have you been behind a car where a smoldering projectile lands right in front of your car....or heads towards the grass?

The fires that destroyed all those 'celebrities'' homes were caused by a cigarette tossed from a car window, according to fire forensics.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
Closed Thread