"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Snow Day!

The snow is coming down like crazy! I was up at 3 am and we hardly had anything - more ice - it was hitting the house and making alot of noise. I couldn't fall back asleep until 6 am - Since DH was driving DD to school, I just woke her up and tried to go back to sleep. When that didn't work I got up and learned school was cancelled (which never happens here). Poor DD, she was on her way already. I felt so bad, the one day I did not get up with her- hmph! - we could have all been sleeping right now! Oh well - today we are going to put the heavy blankets on the beds and make Sierra Cook's mom's recipe for sugar cookies! Maybe we will attempt a snowman! Anyone else home from school or work today?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow, you could send some of that snow to the alpine region north of Italy!! I was just reading an article that they are getting no snow, therefore no skiers either!!

Yeah, making a snowman sounds good!! (Haven't done that for years myself!) Take an example of Calvin and be creative!!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

I seen on the news last night that the midwest was really going to get the snow and ice. Good day to stay home there. I'm glad we didn't get that one. Stay warm.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Sous Chef

No snow here thats for sure - We are having the warmest Dec 1st that I remember - In Jersey it is 66 degrees... Hard to think of this as winter - BUT I am sure we will pay for it later - Stay warm and have fun - Eat some cookies for me !!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
It's been raining here for the last 2 days, it's been too warm to turn into snow. :D
Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Snow day update: DS woke up early (too early for him) and is crabby! DD, after returning from her closed school, fell asleep on the couch and refuses to get up and make the cookie dough so it can chill and we can cut out, bake and decorate before naptime. Between reprimanding him and nagging her, Eeerrrr - this is supposed to be fun, darnit ( a substitute word for what I really want to say) !
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Everymom

LMAO! Oh Michelemarie, I completely sympathize. Sometimes you just want to bonk them over the head don't you? You know, we don't have snow days here. I guess we have so much of the white stuff we have it pretty handled. The only time the schools close is if something happens (pipes bursting etc) or if it is -35 or so BEFORE windchill. I can only remember the schools being closed once in my lifetime. (And Mom sent me to school anyway! I found the doors locked and had to walk back home!)
Old 12-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Alix, I was so surprised they closed the schools, our schools never close! Oh well. DH drove DD early so she could make up a test and it was a ghost town. She finally got off the couch and apologized, she claims she JUST fell aspleep, of course, I wouldn't know because I was with the grouch upstairs.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
Everymom

Since you can't go out anyway, I think it would be a great day to put some Kahlua in your coffee. It will give you the patience you are going to need with the cranky boy!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Our snow is gone!!! Yippeeee! It's turned to good old Seattle rain. I'm going X-mas shopping. : )

The Kaluha sounds like a great idea Alix.
Michele, try to enjoy the rest of the day. There's still time
to make that snowman.