Snow Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
The snow is coming down like crazy! I was up at 3 am and we hardly had anything - more ice - it was hitting the house and making alot of noise. I couldn't fall back asleep until 6 am - Since DH was driving DD to school, I just woke her up and tried to go back to sleep. When that didn't work I got up and learned school was cancelled (which never happens here). Poor DD, she was on her way already. I felt so bad, the one day I did not get up with her- hmph! - we could have all been sleeping right now! Oh well - today we are going to put the heavy blankets on the beds and make Sierra Cook's mom's recipe for sugar cookies! Maybe we will attempt a snowman! Anyone else home from school or work today?

Wow, you could send some of that snow to the alpine region north of Italy!! I was just reading an article that they are getting no snow, therefore no skiers either!!

Yeah, making a snowman sounds good!! (Haven't done that for years myself!) Take an example of Calvin and be creative!!:LOL:

I seen on the news last night that the midwest was really going to get the snow and ice. Good day to stay home there. I'm glad we didn't get that one. Stay warm.

No snow here thats for sure - We are having the warmest Dec 1st that I remember - In Jersey it is 66 degrees... Hard to think of this as winter - BUT I am sure we will pay for it later - Stay warm and have fun - Eat some cookies for me !!

It's been raining here for the last 2 days, it's been too warm to turn into snow. :D

Snow day update: DS woke up early (too early for him) and is crabby! DD, after returning from her closed school, fell asleep on the couch and refuses to get up and make the cookie dough so it can chill and we can cut out, bake and decorate before naptime. Between reprimanding him and nagging her, Eeerrrr - this is supposed to be fun, darnit ( a substitute word for what I really want to say):mad: !

LMAO! Oh Michelemarie, I completely sympathize. Sometimes you just want to bonk them over the head don't you? You know, we don't have snow days here. I guess we have so much of the white stuff we have it pretty handled. The only time the schools close is if something happens (pipes bursting etc) or if it is -35 or so BEFORE windchill. I can only remember the schools being closed once in my lifetime. (And Mom sent me to school anyway! I found the doors locked and had to walk back home!)

Alix, I was so surprised they closed the schools, our schools never close! Oh well. DH drove DD early so she could make up a test and it was a ghost town. She finally got off the couch and apologized, she claims she JUST fell aspleep, of course, I wouldn't know because I was with the grouch upstairs.

Since you can't go out anyway, I think it would be a great day to put some Kahlua in your coffee. It will give you the patience you are going to need with the cranky boy! :LOL:

Our snow is gone!!! Yippeeee! It's turned to good old Seattle rain. I'm going X-mas shopping. : )

The Kaluha sounds like a great idea Alix.
Michele, try to enjoy the rest of the day. There's still time
to make that snowman.

We didn't have any school Thursday, nor today. Not only that, but I didn't have to work Thursday, and didn't find out until I got there. Doesn't look like we're going to open up today, either.

Great idea Alix! I just made my second pot of coffee for the afternoon. I'll start with kahluah in the coffee, then some peppermint schnapps in my hot chocolate this afternoon while frosting cookies, followed by some wine while making dinner followed by my whiskey night cap - these kids better get back to school soon:dizzy: !

What did you end up doing today Michele?

We made a huge snowman. He's not the roundest snowman, he's kindof buff. We're also in the process of making an actual igloo. dh is doing most of the work. I have fun out there, trying to help but Aidan is such a wimp. He gets cold too easily and I usually have to take him in to warm up. I'll post pictures in the next couple days.

Well, I hope you enjoyed your snowday!

I can relate Michele! Sometimes those days off are more chaotic than anticipated, especially with the baby and teen.

Cora, most of our snowmans ( in the past) turned out uneven too. I always made the big bottom one, and the middle, and then my daughter would finally pulll through with the head of the snowman :) We used sticks for arms, a carrott for the nose, and rocks to make a line for the mouth.

Cora, I can't wait to see the snowman! Did you give him/her a name? That sounds like alot of fun.

In the middle of making cookies, DH came upstairs and said he wanted to take DS in the snow but naptime was creeping up and as I said, DS was already cranky. So we started rushing through to get to a stopping point to bundle everyone up. Since this was the first snow boots, gloves, scarves and things of the such had to be dug out. With cookies in the oven, cookies on the table, ingredients everywhere, I try to make room on the counter for more waxed paper and my cooking bible (3" binder filled with all my keepsake recipes and cooking info) falls into a sink full of water!:mad: :mad: :mad: -Good thing DS doesn't talk yet because I would have alot of explaining to do! They all went outside and played in the snow and DH took DS on a long ride on the sled. I stayed back and cooked and cleaned. By the time I got done cleaning the kitchen it was time to start preparing for dinner. We rushed through dinner so we could go to the Christmas walk in our local town, which turned out to be very nice. DS got to see Santa on a silent lighted fire truck parade. I felt like I was walking down a street in the movie "Its a Wonderful Life". We sipped egg nog smoothies in one shop, and just tooled around. We couldn't stay long because my cold allergy kicked into high gear, I broke out into hives on the only exposed sing, my eyes and nose. We visited Santa and came home. It was a hectic day, but turned out nice at the end!

Please make an entire family of snow angels for those of us who can't!

Ayrton, when it warms up enough to play outside I will make you a snow angel or two. We'll even make an extra snowman too!

Alix said:
Ayrton, when it warms up enough to play outside I will make you a snow angel or two. We'll even make an extra snowman too!

Aw, thanks Alix!! :)

The storms somehow separated and went around Galena! If you drive for an hour in any direction, you'll run into tons of snow. We didn't get enough to coat the grass. But it is frigid cold!

Back
Top Bottom