So Gravy is a beverage right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
2019-04-18.gif

:chef::pig::pig::chef:

Ok I'm miles away from you guys, I watched a video the other day about biscuits n gravy, so my take is your biscuits are much like our scones?? Am I right there?? And your gravy is the same as ours up to where you add milk. MILK?? Our gravy is pan juices flour salt then water and Vegemite and colouring if looking for a deep rich flavour. And it's good to clean your plate with buttered bread and scoop the gravy up.
Btw. My gravy is pretty good.

Russ

Ok I'm miles away from you guys, I watched a video the other day about biscuits n gravy, so my take is your biscuits are much like our scones?? Am I right there?? And your gravy is the same as ours up to where you add milk. MILK?? Our gravy is pan juices flour salt then water and Vegemite and colouring if looking for a deep rich flavour. And it's good to clean your plate with buttered bread and scoop the gravy up.

Russ
Yes, our biscuits are like savory scones. There are lots of kinds of gravy, often derived from béchamel sauce. The gravy that goes with biscuits and gravy is made with breakfast sausage and yes, the liquid is milk. Is it really that unusual there?

Btw. My gravies are darn good ;)
biscuits-and-gravy-recipe-4-of-4.jpg

Last edited:
Gravies here have no milk..That would be called a sauce..we just thicken reduced liquid, or stock with a slurry..you can start with a roux also, but just usually meat juice, flavorings and flour..

Yes, our biscuits are like savory scones. There are lots of kinds of gravy, often derived from béchamel sauce. The gravy that goes with biscuits and gravy is made with breakfast sausage and yes, the liquid is milk. Is it really that unusual there?

Btw. My gravies are darn good ;)
View attachment 34473

Just wanted to add that hopefully our biscuits are light and fluffy unlike dry and dense scones.

Last edited:
In the southern part of the USA, biscuits and gravy is a popular dish. The gravy is often referred to as milk gravy. You may be technically correct that milk gravy is really a sauce but don't try to sell that in the South.

Yeah, biscuits and graviy isn't very Canadian. It's not that it's impossible to get it here, but we think of it as a Southern US thing.

Here in Texas, biscuits are kind of like scones, but lighter and fluffier. The gravy for "biscuits and gravy" is a white gravy, starting by browning some good breakfast sausage, adding flour, then adding milk until you get a creamy consistency.

To make proper Southern biscuits and gravy, the gravy needs to have a good sausage flavor to it, which means a good sausage to gravy ratio. It is different from the white gravy used on something like chicken-fried steak. That is a simple white (milk) gravy made from a blonde roux and milk, seasoned with salt and black pepper.

CD

Last edited:
Eric Cartman of the cartoon show South Park goes into withdrawls because all the KFC's in his state have suddenly converted to medical marijuana stores. He manages to go to some clinic where a nurse behind a glass window dispenses him a tiny cup of KFC gravy to drink down in order to get him thru his KFC withdrawls. :LOL:

Last edited:
In the southern part of the USA, biscuits and gravy is a popular dish. The gravy is often referred to as milk gravy. You may be technically correct that milk gravy is really a sauce but don't try to sell that in the South.

Pretty much anyplace rural will be familiar with biscuits and gravy. It's very common throughout the Rocky Mountain region where I've lived and traveled for the last 55 years. Just about any café in any small to medium town where they serve breakfast, you will find biscuits and gravy on the menu. I make it at home occasionally on a winter morning.

Russ

Biscuits and gravy is one of the easiest things in the world to make, very filling. I admit to often using Jiffy biscuit mix for the biscuits, although they aren't that hard from scratch if such a product isn't available in NZ. One box makes a half dozen.

For the gravy, just brown a pound of a breakfast type sausage that you can crumble up like ground beef. When nicely browned, spoon off all but 3 tablespoons of fat, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of flour. Stir and cook for a minute or 2 just to take the rawness from the flour, then add 2-3 cups of milk while stirring (this is imprecise as I always start with a bit less and add more if it's too thick). Keep stirring and cooking until it thickens. Salt to taste as necessary (amount depends on the saltiness of the sausage you use), and I like it with a heavy dose of black pepper. Serve over the warm biscuits.

Lots of possible variation adding eggs, scrambled or fried, on top of or sandwiched in the biscuits. I also like the sausage gravy over hash brown potatoes without biscuits, and it's good just spooned over toast.

Last edited:
When we moved to Aransas Pass in Texas, I took Pirate and his sister to the local eatery. They both ordered French Fries. The both of them were quite surprised to find the "white gravy" poured over their FF's.

I used to make the white sauce and pour it over their toast for a quick snack before we moved to Texas. So they were familiar with it. But on their FF's? They discovered a new dish that they really liked. Today, here in Boston, Pirate every so often will ask me to make it for him again. The main reason I keep a bag of frozen FF's in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom