"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Head Chef

Good for your daughter - the best one can do is plenty good, no more can be asked. As for the school that won't test the daughter about her reading - it's a shame. They should be ashamed.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

yeah

congrats to your girl. for great job . no wonder you are so happy and proud.

babe

Old 01-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Congrats to her! I just went through an important exam myself yesterday. Unfortunatly, I don't get my results until April.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
jeninga- I hope you did as well,its to bad you have to wait so long for you results. The waiting is worse then taking the exam.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Bean wow it is a small world. I have cousins kids that go to Cassadaga. My daughter goes to Chautauqua Lake, and has trouble comprehending what she reads, I wanted her tested for a learning disability but the school will only test her if she falls into the bottom percentile (makes no sence to me, let her fail then test her)Up until now I have helped her,but it's to the point that I am having a hard time helping her understand things. they are going to try teacher intervention so maybe that will help, I hate to see her struggle so much.
We had my daughter tested as she was having the same problem. The school didn't want to do it, but we wrote a letter to them asking for the testing and they had to comply.
Turned out that she does have a slight problem with comprehension, and is now getting in class assistance. When we had her tested two years ago she was about two grades behind in testing. Now she is almost caught up, and much more confident in her work.
I can't believe how hard it was to get her tested either considering how far behind she had fallen already.

Congrats to your daughter!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Maverick-- That's the thing, she isn't behind, she when to the counsler because she knows she needs help, and because she isn't behind they won't test her. If she was failing that would be different, then they would test her. I've always made sure she didn't fall behind, now I'm having a hard time keeping up and know if she doesn't get help she will fail. I just think it's stupid that if a child and parent go to the school for help because the child is having trouble the school should help. Like I said they are going to have a teacher intervention, which is a group of teachers meet with us to see if they can help. My daughter learns things the exact way they are taught, word wise, if it is written different on a test she has no idea what they are asking.
I know my daughter knows the material, even her teachers this year have questioned why she can answer correctly in class but then fail the tests.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
Master Chef

Ahh I see. Yes it was different for my daughter. She was behind but not failing ( the school will not actually fail a student until 5th grade no matter how far behind they lag), but we knew there was a problem there. Turned out part of why she was able to hide it is she has an almost photographic memory. Not quite, but close. The teacher would read a book out loud, and she would memorize it. Then when they went around taking turns reading passages, she would just recite from memory. She made so few mistakes no one caught it except us and her Sunday school teacher.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
Sous Chef

I'm glad you caught it early,my DD is in 10th grade and now it's hard for the school to understand she needs help. I won't let it go until she gets the help she needs though. Good Luck to you and your daughter.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
Master Chef

WONDERFUL!! She should be very proud of herself. I know mom is!!