So happy I could burst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
I just had to tell someone. It was regents week here ad my daughter has been totally stessed over these tests (has to pass them as a requirement for diploma) She got her scores yesterday--- Global Studies 82, Science 81, and Spanish (sure she failed) 71.:clap::clap::clap: Not only was I thrilled, It made me feel great to see the look of accomplishment on her face,because she struggles with school and tests.

Great news to hear!!!! Congratulations to your daughter for a job well done and passing those tests!!! (Bringing back some old and scary memories!!! LOL!)

Tell your daughter congrats!!! That is great!! I remember taking the regents and it was stressful then....10 years later the tests are more demanding so I can only imagine the stress these kids deal with each year!!

I see you are from Ashville, NY! I live in Dunkirk and am a teacher at Cassadaga Valley. Both my SILs are teachers at Panama which is where I am assuming your daughter attends school. One is the elementary art teacher and the other 7th and 8th grade English teacher. Small world!!

Bean wow it is a small world. I have cousins kids that go to Cassadaga. My daughter goes to Chautauqua Lake, and has trouble comprehending what she reads, I wanted her tested for a learning disability but the school will only test her if she falls into the bottom percentile (makes no sence to me, let her fail then test her)Up until now I have helped her,but it's to the point that I am having a hard time helping her understand things. they are going to try teacher intervention so maybe that will help, I hate to see her struggle so much.

Good for your daughter - the best one can do is plenty good, no more can be asked. As for the school that won't test the daughter about her reading - it's a shame. They should be ashamed.

Congrats to her! I just went through an important exam myself yesterday. Unfortunatly, I don't get my results until April. :(

jeninga- I hope you did as well,its to bad you have to wait so long for you results. The waiting is worse then taking the exam.

Bean wow it is a small world. I have cousins kids that go to Cassadaga. My daughter goes to Chautauqua Lake, and has trouble comprehending what she reads, I wanted her tested for a learning disability but the school will only test her if she falls into the bottom percentile (makes no sence to me, let her fail then test her)Up until now I have helped her,but it's to the point that I am having a hard time helping her understand things. they are going to try teacher intervention so maybe that will help, I hate to see her struggle so much.

We had my daughter tested as she was having the same problem. The school didn't want to do it, but we wrote a letter to them asking for the testing and they had to comply.
Turned out that she does have a slight problem with comprehension, and is now getting in class assistance. When we had her tested two years ago she was about two grades behind in testing. Now she is almost caught up, and much more confident in her work.
I can't believe how hard it was to get her tested either considering how far behind she had fallen already.

Congrats to your daughter!:clap:

Maverick-- That's the thing, she isn't behind, she when to the counsler because she knows she needs help, and because she isn't behind they won't test her. If she was failing that would be different, then they would test her. I've always made sure she didn't fall behind, now I'm having a hard time keeping up and know if she doesn't get help she will fail. I just think it's stupid that if a child and parent go to the school for help because the child is having trouble the school should help. Like I said they are going to have a teacher intervention, which is a group of teachers meet with us to see if they can help. My daughter learns things the exact way they are taught, word wise, if it is written different on a test she has no idea what they are asking.
I know my daughter knows the material, even her teachers this year have questioned why she can answer correctly in class but then fail the tests.

Ahh I see. Yes it was different for my daughter. She was behind but not failing ( the school will not actually fail a student until 5th grade no matter how far behind they lag), but we knew there was a problem there. Turned out part of why she was able to hide it is she has an almost photographic memory. Not quite, but close. The teacher would read a book out loud, and she would memorize it. Then when they went around taking turns reading passages, she would just recite from memory. She made so few mistakes no one caught it except us and her Sunday school teacher.

I'm glad you caught it early,my DD is in 10th grade and now it's hard for the school to understand she needs help. I won't let it go until she gets the help she needs though. Good Luck to you and your daughter.

Back
Top Bottom