"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Ow........! Sorry to hear it. I read that, and you may believe this or not, canned french-cut green beans, with canning liquid, for burns. Soak your hand in the beans and liquid. Or apply as a compress, wrapped in a clean dish towel.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

That's not good Elaine. Hope it's not serious. Did you have one too many drinks?

We have a large aloe vera plant outside and we use it to treat minor burns. Heal quickly so we can play.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

In all my yrs. of cooking I have burned myself so many times I can not count some pretty severe. And you know what they all hurt to the 10th degree. I all ways kept a tube of Silvadean.??in my tool box. Never ice. It is lousy advice but just buck up and let nature take its course, keep your wound clean and use Silvadean, I do not know why it works but it does. Hope this helps
Old 10-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

As someone mentioned, cold water (not ice) will help it as needed. Chloroseptic throat spray helps deaden the pain for awhile, and whatever you take for pain (Tylenol, etc.) could help. I hope it feels better now.

Barbara
Old 10-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Sorry to hear of your burn.

In my experience, ice does nothing but pro long the pain, and then you go from being ice cold, to BURNING HOT...the ice intensifies the pain when removed from ice.

It is a bummer, but best to just suck it up. The pain goes quicker, and it seems to blister less.
You are so right. Took me until late night to figure that out.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sorry to hear, Elaine...........my kitchen accidents involve going to the doctor and getting stitched up....burns are always painful.........I don't know how many times I get burned on the side of my arm from the iron..........aloe does work very well........maybe the Dr. would prescribe a topical application with zylocaine....that is if you're not allergic to any of the "caines"
Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I guess I should join the club. I got myself on the side of my right hand last night cleaning the flattop at work. I've got a quarter-sized blister now. It doesn't hurt now, but it did sting for about an hour after I did it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Hope you heal up quickly - I know how it hurts - please be careful of infection - you know what to do - keep it clean, etc.

My first Thanksgiving that I cooked (23 yrs old?) I was pouring off the boiling water from a large stock pot of potatoes - poured the water too quickly, so the water circled the colander in the sink and splashed out onto and down my thigh - I was wearing leggings which made the scalding water "stick" to my leg, and when I took them off, my skin peeled off - 2nd degree burns down my leg - what a mess! I have no scars, though - imagine that!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #19
Master Chef

Medical Authorities recommend applying ice (not ice water) for up to 10 hours after the burn. If you have an aloe plant, slit open a leaf and apply that also.
I have burned myself lots of times...even laid my hand on a hot burner once...and the above method WORKS!
If you get blisters, do not break them if you can avoid it, as they will protect the burned tissue until it starts to heal.

This is straight from my friend who was an emergency room nurse for 10 years, before she became a surgical nurse.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Medical Authorities recommend applying ice (not ice water) for up to 10 hours after the burn. If you have an aloe plant, slit open a leaf and apply that also.
I have burned myself lots of times...even laid my hand on a hot burner once...and the above method WORKS!
If you get blisters, do not break them if you can avoid it, as they will protect the burned tissue until it starts to heal.

This is straight from my friend who was an emergency room nurse for 10 years, before she became a surgical nurse.
I keep an aloe plant at all times. Aside from being attractive, the stuff really will ease pain and blistering from a burn. I have found that the fresh works better than the bottled ones, and the sooner applied, the faster the results.