So I burned my hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
Tonight I burned my hand by leaning on the grill cover. I have ice on it but it just keeps aching. How long will this continue? YUK. :(:(

I've burnt my hands so often through the years I often don't notice when I do it anymore till I see the burn mark later....of course THEN it starts to hurt!:glare::rolleyes:

Ouch....Sorry Miss Elaine. I do the ice therapy when I burn my finger etc....Sometimes I sit around with my finger in a glass of ice water...Sooner or later you are just going to have to Go "cold turkey" and remove the ice...It will continue to hurt a bit...then ease up. Maybe some Tylenol ?? Or a big big drink of Bourbon!!!;)

I burned my finger a couple of years ago with fudge and it melted the skin off. Ice is suppose to be the worst thing to put on a burn, but, that is the first thing I grab, lol. Aloe vera is the best, straight off the plant if possible. Luckily, my sister had one and it was wonderful. I still have a scar from it too, that HURT!!lol
Try one of these and let us know. Egg whites seem to be the best.

A collection of Burn Remedies from Earth Clinic readers.

Sorry to hear of your burn.

In my experience, ice does nothing but pro long the pain, and then you go from being ice cold, to BURNING HOT...the ice intensifies the pain when removed from ice.

It is a bummer, but best to just suck it up. The pain goes quicker, and it seems to blister less.

:) Try putting your hand in some vinegar it helps temporarily as dos fresh onion juice. What ever you do as some folks believe, DO NOT PUT BUTTER ON A BURN it will make it worse. Also you do not want to use ice but cold water on a burn when you first get one for a minimum of 10 minutes.

ai'm sorry elaine, I know that hurts..I've been burned by hot grease and it hurt all night and stayed sore til a scab and new skin started to develope..I hope your burn heals quickly and isn't to sore.
kadesma

so sorry , i know it really hurts. no ice water, and i would think vinegar would sting. just leave it alone , seems to work the best. unless of course it covers a large area. then you should go to e.r. if not to deep you could put neosporein on it. there is one with a pain reliever, and really any antibiotic creme would work. i would use cream and not ointment. :cool:

Ow........! Sorry to hear it. I read that, and you may believe this or not, canned french-cut green beans, with canning liquid, for burns. Soak your hand in the beans and liquid. Or apply as a compress, wrapped in a clean dish towel.

That's not good Elaine. Hope it's not serious. Did you have one too many drinks?

We have a large aloe vera plant outside and we use it to treat minor burns. Heal quickly so we can play.

In all my yrs. of cooking I have burned myself so many times I can not count some pretty severe. And you know what they all hurt to the 10th degree. I all ways kept a tube of Silvadean.??in my tool box. Never ice. It is lousy advice but just buck up and let nature take its course, keep your wound clean and use Silvadean, I do not know why it works but it does. Hope this helps

As someone mentioned, cold water (not ice) will help it as needed. Chloroseptic throat spray helps deaden the pain for awhile, and whatever you take for pain (Tylenol, etc.) could help. I hope it feels better now.

:)Barbara

Sorry to hear of your burn.

In my experience, ice does nothing but pro long the pain, and then you go from being ice cold, to BURNING HOT...the ice intensifies the pain when removed from ice.

It is a bummer, but best to just suck it up. The pain goes quicker, and it seems to blister less.

You are so right. Took me until late night to figure that out.

Sorry to hear, Elaine...........my kitchen accidents involve going to the doctor and getting stitched up....burns are always painful.........I don't know how many times I get burned on the side of my arm from the iron..........aloe does work very well........maybe the Dr. would prescribe a topical application with zylocaine....that is if you're not allergic to any of the "caines"

I guess I should join the club. I got myself on the side of my right hand last night cleaning the flattop at work. I've got a quarter-sized blister now. It doesn't hurt now, but it did sting for about an hour after I did it.

Hope you heal up quickly - I know how it hurts - please be careful of infection - you know what to do - keep it clean, etc.

My first Thanksgiving that I cooked (23 yrs old?) I was pouring off the boiling water from a large stock pot of potatoes - poured the water too quickly, so the water circled the colander in the sink and splashed out onto and down my thigh - I was wearing leggings which made the scalding water "stick" to my leg, and when I took them off, my skin peeled off - 2nd degree burns down my leg - what a mess! I have no scars, though - imagine that!

Medical Authorities recommend applying ice (not ice water) for up to 10 hours after the burn. If you have an aloe plant, slit open a leaf and apply that also.
I have burned myself lots of times...even laid my hand on a hot burner once...and the above method WORKS!
If you get blisters, do not break them if you can avoid it, as they will protect the burned tissue until it starts to heal.

This is straight from my friend who was an emergency room nurse for 10 years, before she became a surgical nurse.

Medical Authorities recommend applying ice (not ice water) for up to 10 hours after the burn. If you have an aloe plant, slit open a leaf and apply that also.
I have burned myself lots of times...even laid my hand on a hot burner once...and the above method WORKS!
If you get blisters, do not break them if you can avoid it, as they will protect the burned tissue until it starts to heal.

This is straight from my friend who was an emergency room nurse for 10 years, before she became a surgical nurse.
I keep an aloe plant at all times. Aside from being attractive, the stuff really will ease pain and blistering from a burn. I have found that the fresh works better than the bottled ones, and the sooner applied, the faster the results.

Back
Top Bottom