So who's going to Beijing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
One of our food wholesalers sent this series of photos of a food court they visited in Beijing in the lead up to the Olympics. Click on the photo to expand it then read what culinary delights you lucky people could be in store for if you visit this popular eatery.
Beijing Food Stall - a set on Flickr
I am afraid much on offer is not to my liking but then we live worlds apart, this gives a total new meaning to "fast food".

Who needs a diet? Just move to Beijing for a couple of months, you'll loose all kinds of weight in a very short time...will power won't even be an issue! :ohmy:

As a business woman in the horticultural field, I was once invited to join a group of other women like me on a tour to China, to give advice and help to Chinese women who were starting their own horticultural businesses.

I had a little boy to take care of at the time, and did not accept the offer.

Ah! It's way out of our league right now but would surely like to visit that part of China one day. We've been watching Samantha Brown during China week and most of those places are beautiful and the food...oh my, it looks absolutely tasty.

I'd go for goats lungs, the rest you wouldn't be able to pay me to eat that stuff. I wouldn't even consider drinking juice that has food coloring made of beatles.

Oh Goodness - you folks are watching the wrong tv shows. Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" is the only way to enjoy the real China as far as food goes. ;) Sam Brown whitewashes everything & Zimmern is just sensationalism. Half the time he cringes at the stuff he's "supposed" to enjoy eating.

If those were the only items to choose from, I would be living on the grilled corn and ginger sauce. Some of the foods didn't look bad until I read what they were. If I had to eat it, I don't think it would be a good idea to ask what it is!

I will be visiting Beijing via my TV (which I will watch on my computer, since I will be on vacation during the Olympics), so fortunately I will have foods more to my liking available!

:)Barbara

What's for breakfast? White rice, please.
And for lunch? " " "
What about dinner? " " "

Actually, #15 doesn't sound so bad - at least the first 2 out of 3. Depending how they cook it.

I do not do insects so anything like that I would not be able to even look at, but I would like to think I would be open minded enough to at least try some of the other things. After all, just think how weird some of the things we eat must seem to people who are not familiar with them. Taking the ribs out of a pig and eating them? The skin off a chicken? Feet of a pig?

I am willing to bet that most of the things in those pictures taste delicious and if you ate them blindfolded without knowing what they were then you would be in culinary heaven. The ick factor makes it hard for many people to get past the grossness of the unfamiliar though which is a shame. That is how lots of people are with sushi, but once they try it and get over the ick factor it becomes many of their favorite foods.

GB, I think anything we eat is not strange to the majority of the world's people. Anybody who eats meat eats all things you mention, the only people who would reject pretty standard western meat diet are vegetarians. And they are few and far between. Majority of the world eats meats. And especially people in poor countries will eat pretty much everything from an animal not leaving anything for waist.

Tell that to the billion people in India who would never consider eating a cow.

Also, people in poor countries usually can not get much if any meat at all. That is the sign of a country that has some wealth, not a country that is poor.

My best friend just got back from 14 days in China, 4 of them in Beijing. She said they had Beijing duck in a well known restaurant there and it was excellent but that was pretty much the only meat she had there. She has pics of the street vendor foods like Attie posted. Indeed, there was a lot of "dog" available. It made her leery of the small amounts of "mystery meats" that were available on the boat so she stuck to veggies most of the time. She enjoyed the trip very much but said the food definitely wasn't a highlight for her.

Tell that to the billion people in India who would never consider eating a cow.

Also, people in poor countries usually can not get much if any meat at all. That is the sign of a country that has some wealth, not a country that is poor.

GB, did you actually read what I said?

Now don't forget that you will need to be able to read the menu when you get there so here's a link to convert some basic items with the pronunciation.

Learning Chinese - china.org.cn
Thank heavens they're only for the basic items, any further description would be totally confusing :LOL:
Then I guess our language is confusing to them

Back
Top Bottom