"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Paying the increase in your heating bill
I only wish the increase in my heating bill would only be $4. LOL

I am on Medicare, so the 2% increase is offset by the increase in the cost of Medicare. At least this year we got a COLA. In past years we got none, but still got the increase in Medicare.

You get old, and you no longer have to go to work, but you can't afford to go anywhere else.

CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I could never live in Texas.
Bottom line, it is a cheap place to live. Most of it is not pretty, although the Hill country is wonderful. The Hill country has great food, too. East Texas is pretty, but pretty backwards, too. Not the best place for an art major with a MINI cooper and a poodle.

Where I live is not where I want to live, but the cost of living where I live is hard to beat.

I've gotten used to the downside, and I travel enough to get some variety in my life. As I move toward semi-retirement, I see my current home in Dallas as a "home base" for travel. Being in the center of the country, I can get anywhere in the US in four hours or less.

As for Social Security, politicians here want to privatize it, like they want to privatize everything from schools to prisons to water. And, since my congressman runs unopposed pretty much every time he's up for election, he really doesn't care what I have to say. He's going to do what he wants, because he as the right capital letter after his name on the ballot.

CD

“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
Paying the increase in your heating bill
I am lucky to live where I live, in regards to utility bills. Here in Dallas, air-conditioning is the big draw, not heating. So, my summer energy usage is way higher than my winter usage. My heating and hot water is natural gas, which is dirt cheap, and I don't use that much.

I have my gas and electric on rolling averaging, so my monthly electric bill is about 80-bucks, and my monthly gas is about 25-bucks.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I could never live in Texas.
I said that when I finally escaped at 19. I haven't looked back.

Then again, I ended up in Tennessee and I haven't been able to convince my wife to leave, so I guess I kind of went frying pan > fire.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote