Social Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
Today in the mail we got our notifications of our COLA for 2018. YAY!! I got a $3 increase and DH got $1. I don't know why his was lower than mine. I can't wait to spend it. What to buy first?

Mine said 2%. That would be significantly more than $3.
Still the world expenses will out pace us. It already has.

Take care of this in the ballot booth. Its the only chance or way to try and help ourselves.

Mine said 2%. That would be significantly more than $3.
Still the world expenses will out pace us. It already has.

Take care of this in the ballot booth. Its the only chance or way to try and help ourselves.
Contacting your Congressional representatives directly is another way to do that.

The COLA for 2018 is 2%. Also, the deduction for Medicare is increasing. So you should expect to see less than a 2% increase in your deposit.

Today in the mail we got our notifications of our COLA for 2018. YAY!! I got a $3 increase and DH got $1. I don't know why his was lower than mine. I can't wait to spend it. What to buy first?

Paying the increase in your heating bill:devilish:

I only wish the increase in my heating bill would only be $4. LOL

I am on Medicare, so the 2% increase is offset by the increase in the cost of Medicare. At least this year we got a COLA. In past years we got none, but still got the increase in Medicare.

You get old, and you no longer have to go to work, but you can't afford to go anywhere else. :(

Last edited:
I could never live in Texas.

Bottom line, it is a cheap place to live. Most of it is not pretty, although the Hill country is wonderful. The Hill country has great food, too. East Texas is pretty, but pretty backwards, too. Not the best place for an art major with a MINI cooper and a poodle.

Where I live is not where I want to live, but the cost of living where I live is hard to beat.

I've gotten used to the downside, and I travel enough to get some variety in my life. As I move toward semi-retirement, I see my current home in Dallas as a "home base" for travel. Being in the center of the country, I can get anywhere in the US in four hours or less.

As for Social Security, politicians here want to privatize it, like they want to privatize everything from schools to prisons to water. And, since my congressman runs unopposed pretty much every time he's up for election, he really doesn't care what I have to say. He's going to do what he wants, because he as the right capital letter after his name on the ballot.

CD

I am lucky to live where I live, in regards to utility bills. Here in Dallas, air-conditioning is the big draw, not heating. So, my summer energy usage is way higher than my winter usage. My heating and hot water is natural gas, which is dirt cheap, and I don't use that much.

I have my gas and electric on rolling averaging, so my monthly electric bill is about 80-bucks, and my monthly gas is about 25-bucks.

CD

Back
Top Bottom