"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Everymom

Sock Exchange

OK, I have given up on my alternate universe theory. (Socks in the dryer are spun so fast some travel to an alternate universe so you end up with only one of the pair) My new theory is that socks travel to someone ELSE'S dryer and someone else has socks that should be in my dryer and I have socks that belong somewhere else.

I currently have a basket of 15 unmatched socks. Anyone want to see if we can match them up?? I'm willing to send them in the mail. I also have a favorite pair with one missing, I'd really like that one back. Its a white ankle sock Hush Puppy brand with a light blue stripe around the cuff. THANKS!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I feel your pain, Alix! A couple of years ago, my friend Billy gave me a beautiful pair of turquoise tie-dyed socks. The first time I washed them, one disappeared. I keep hoping each time I do the wash that it will show up again. I have kept its lonely mate in hopes, but so far, nada!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Everymom

I have one that is turquoise and purply striped here. It looks a little small but its all yours if you want it!

My kids have actually taken to wearing mismatched socks cuz it looks cool. Originally it was because they couldn't be bothered to match up their socks, and now they've totally whacked out my system so nothing hits the washer and dryer at the same time so EVERYTHING is mismatched. LOL.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

You and my wife have something to talk about. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I have one that is turquoise and purply striped here. It looks a little small but its all yours if you want it!
I'm afraid my feet are not small at all!

Quote:
My kids have actually taken to wearing mismatched socks cuz it looks cool. Originally it was because they couldn't be bothered to match up their socks, and now they've totally whacked out my system so nothing hits the washer and dryer at the same time so EVERYTHING is mismatched. LOL.
Quote:
That's one way to approach that problem!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

I agree with your theory - better than anything I've come up with. Otherwise I can't help. I make every effort to buy one standard color and style - navy blue. That way I always have matched pairs - automatically. Of course I have to replace matched pairs from time to time. :)
Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

How funny. I, too, buy socks in groupings (white for workouts, black or navy for wearing with jeans or black slacks). For some reason, it is mine that disappear, rarely my husband's. If I ever buy anything cute or colorful, I'm lucky if they last through a few washings before one disappears. Luckily I'm tall, so have feet large enough to buy men's socks, which are cheaper and sturdier than women's. My sisters and I learned to swipe my dad's at an early age when we needed a pair of black in particular (Daddy was in the Air Force, so there was an endless supply of black socks in his drawer).
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Head Chef

I know definitively where missing socks go!!!

They reincarnate as keys and appear in your desk drawer, your kitchen drawer, and on your keychain. So when you look at them, naturally you have no idea what the keys are to, because they aren't TO anything.

I am very sure of this, so wonder no more.

Lee
Old 10-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Everymom

OH MY GOSH!!! I never put those things together Lee! I have to say though, I am still going to hold out hope that somewhere out there my sock will come home to me. And if I can send a sock to anyone out there missing one, well...I've got a few!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I got its called spontaneous sox combustion
Look behind the washer and dryer sometimes they hide out there