Soft foods suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My teenager just got his bottom set of braces on, and they're hurting so much worse than the top ever did. So much so, that he's not eaten much (so unlike him!)
Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for the next few days for him?:chef: (Please remember that he really doesn't like cheese) Thanks!

Ouch,
we had that problem here too. The girls loved hearty creamy soups, scrambled eggs, puddings, pasta with just evoo, garlic onions type thing.One adored a bowl of mashed potatoes and gravey!! Another would ask for a baked acorn squash with butter and brown sugar, soft fruits, jello,milkshakes..This would only last several days and things would be fine till the next visit and tightening of braces and we would start over...

kadesma

Does sucking hurt? Smoothies with yogurt, fruit and maybe some bran would be good. I know that sometimes the sucking motion will really hurt though.

Sounds like soup and pudding for a couple of days for the poor guy.

He's mainly hurting because they put these weird braces on the back two teeth - calling them "bumpers", so he can't bite down all the way. He says his tongue hurts too, poor kid.

One thing he did go through last night - I'd gotten a coupon for a free tub (big one!) of that new Philly Cream Cheese "ready-made-cheesecake-filling" stuff. I stirred some chocolate sauce into some, put it into a custard cup and topped it with some crushed Piroline cookies. He gave it the thumbs up.

My s-i-l had the same problem a couple of summers ago. I am afraid we stuck mainly to soups but we got a smoothie recipe book and she had almost every one of them in the order of the book. She doesn't eat that well so I took the opportunity to get lots of fresh juices into her too.

Soup with crackers in the broth.
Can't go wrong with mashed potatoes.
Ice cream :-p
oatmeal
yogurt
smoothies
Muffins without nuts or chunks
Pancakes
risotto
pasta
Noodles
Thinly sliced lunch meats
soft bread...maybe white? if you have it...cut crusts if necessary
fish
beans
applesauce

looks like you got lots of suggestions here, but i would like to add
after he gets his braces tightened each time he should chew gum.

yes gum, it really works it helps keep the gums loose sorta like
when your muscles hurt from working out, stretching or working out
the muscles looses the muscles, same with the gums.

at first i thought our ortho had gone crazy but the kids do not
complain about their teeth anymore, only when they have not
chewed gum right after the appt.

the cost should be the only pain

I remember Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks were a staple after I'd have work on my braces. You could even add some ice cream for an afternoon or evening snack with some extra nutrition.

Hope he feels better soon!

These are all great ideas! Thanks in advance Paul's getting braces ( for TMJ relief) on the 18th of this month. I'm sure I'll need some of the above.

Jkath, I always liked to suck on frozen juice bars after
my braces were tightened.

When I got my braces I liked ice cream, jello and mashed potatoes (the potatoes have to be very smooth).

Gosh, if he has no food restrictions the possibilities are endless. I'd say home made chicken soup with meat bawls or is it bolls or balls, well what ever the spelling. Get the whole or cut up chicken. Use dark meat and bones to make soup. Put the white meat thru the meat grinder, if you do not have use food processor, but meat grinder is preferred, grind together with one small onion, and 1-2 slices of white bread (soaked in called water and squeezed). Add 1 large egg, mix everything together. Salt and pepper to taste. Form small bawls (SP?), maybe 3/4". When soup boils and you pick off the dirty foam on the top ad them in cook like you would normally cook chicken soup. Serve. Personally, I like to serve it with a spoon or two of rice, added right into the plate. Rice cook separately. This is very nutritious meal. It will have protein and veggies, and it is easy to swallow, practically with out chewing.

That is what our son ate for the first week after he had his braces

Alix said:
Eggs? Scrambled or soft boiled?
(forgot to mention that he believes eggs are from the same evil planet as cheese.)

Thanks so much, all for the great suggestions!! I'm having him read thru them to see what sounds good.
Charlie, your soup sounds wonderful!!!

i'm with that carnation breakfast- nourishing & plenty of vitamins/minerals. ensure is an option, 'cept not quite so tasty. other than that, maybe give your kiddo shakes or icecream, potatoes of many sorts, overcooked pasta, cheesecake, cooked cereals.....
i used to love frozen fruit with mine cause it was cold though i didn't consume that.

Last edited:
Does he like baked potatoes "all the way"? That could be a soup option too - finely mincing the bacon and other "stuff" - oh, except no cheese! :chef:

Now my jaws hurt for him!!!!!!

A friend of mine many years ago worked at a nursing home. On hotdog night he would grind up everything (individually) and layer the bun on the bottom, next the dog - cut into bun shapes and serve condiments on the side. I guess if he's really desperate for a hotdog that would work :LOL:

elf, they pureed my meals when i was inpatient before.:LOL:
kinda like baby food. piles of roast beef, carrots, & other delectible gerber-like foods.:ROFLMAO:
that lasted 'bout 2 meals.

Last edited:
I'm glad you like the idea, now just go and make it! :)

You know what they call the chicken soup - Jewish Penecilin.

Some doctor, btw, did a special recearch and proove that, in fact, chicken soup has all kind of nutritions that help with healing process, whatever the sickness might have been. I guess it helps the body regain the strenth(sp?).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom