Solar Eclipse, August 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Protect your eyes, folks. It only takes a couple of seconds to do permanent damage.

CD
And here's my chance again to plug Lowe's, who is selling eclipse glasses that will work right. If you don't have a Lowe's near you, these other businesses are selling American Astronomical Society approved glasses. Push comes to shove, you can use welder's glass Number 14, which is what Himself has always used for sun viewing. He can still see just fine, and I suppose I can't blame eclipses and astronomical pursuits for him not being able to hear me. Although I think his hearing is fine. It's his listening that's a tad off.

I have seen a couple of total eclipses. I photographed one from a place where it was almost total -- and I can't find those photos anywhere. Grrrrrr.

I'm staying in Dallas, because if I spend the money to go somewhere to see the total deal, I guarantee it will be cloudy wherever I go.

CD

Forecast here is for warm and sunny next Monday. We will be driving about 120 miles... less that 2 hours and mostly out in the middle of nowhere. Although the predictions for traffic are ugly, I'm not sure that it applies out here - there just aren't enough people out here, nor are there any real attractions along the way to draw them, aside from Lake McConaughy. We don't really anticipate a big problem getting to the totality zone, and we will be viewing from a friend's ranch in Nebraska.

We are in the path of totality. Direct path.
Bought our glasses at the local drug store. He sold over 200 pair the first two days and had to order more. $2 a pair.
This is a bigger deal than I thought. Might see an uptick in out of town visitors for sure.
I hear people are renting out rooms at very high prices and are having to turn down most all of them. They are booked and so are all the motels and cough cough hotels.

I just hope it will be clear. We have been under clouds for days now.

My grandkids had a blast watching the partial eclipse and the live TV coverage this morning. ... going back and forth between eclipse glasses, the back yard observatory, and the TV. IMG_0254.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0242.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful picture-perfect day here. Our "show" began just before noon and reached totality at close to 1:30 and finished up slightly before 3.

Didn't get too dark. Perhaps dusk-like. The tree frogs and nighttime creatures sang quite a chorus as it darkened.

First solar eclipse I've ever seen and it was a memorable experience.

I just want to say again, for those out of the direct path of the eclicpe, if you look on the ground under a tree that has small leaves, the leaves shadows will look strange. They'll all be crescent shaped. I noticed that the last eclipse (I was not in the direct path). I found that to be kind of trippy.

Eclipse shadow on my sister's porch in MS.. Click on pic to see better...

Ross

Attachments

• Eclipe Shadow.jpg
    Eclipe Shadow.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 122
Eclipse shadow on my sister's porch in MS.. Click on pic to see better...

Ross
Thank you for sharing that. Because of your previous post about this phenomenon, I looked for it. Unfortunately, we didn't get it. I did use a pinhole in a piece of paper to cast a crescent shadow in my hand.

Great photo, Rick!

We didn't get any shareable photos, but we enjoyed every moment of today. Traffic from the hotel to Spring City, TN wasn't bad, except for the first couple of miles. It was a lot heavier afterwards, but Himself said that the rest of the day was so wonderful the traffic wasn't any problem at all. With luck and healthy living, we hope to be watching in April, 2024 from our own backyard!

This is as close as we got to totality.
0821171451a_HDR.jpg
DH the science geek set up some instruments to record UV light, regular light and temperature as the eclipse progressed.
0821171311_HDR.jpg
The graph.
0821171424_HDR.jpg
The bees seemed to think it was dusk and thus time to return to the hive.
0821171424a_HDR.jpg

Great photo, RPCookin!

It was pretty cloudy here in Minnesota, although in some sense it made for better eclipse viewing. We experienced about 85% coverage. This was about the best photo I got.

Cu6IFaN.jpg

This was so AWESOME!!!! We hung out in Mom's yard, shared it with Jethro, he had been running and barking at all the people, then Totality and he crouched down, looking at us to see if we were in distress. Jethro shivered and accepted hugs, then the sun came back and he was fine.

Rick! Fantastic photo, that's what we saw too.

Ross, thanks for that pic, I forgot to look down.

Good choice to share it with the grands rather than alone RF. They'll never forget being with grandpa for the event. Adorable pics!

A couple of weeks ago they were puzzled as to why only portions of the U.S. were going to experience totality. So I did in front of them the classic demonstration using a globe, a flashlight, and a golf ball. And ahhhh, they got it.
So I promised them a road trip to Texas in 2024 for the next one. I'll be retired and unemployed by then so I'll have plenty of time. :LOL:

eclipse

Missed the whole thing. Cloudy most of the time, then I got occupied. Guess I'll just have to wait for 2024 to see the next one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom