"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

Some People....Winter Stories

As a testament to the fact that the Southern coast of BC is not used to a week of snow, I have to tell you something funny I just witnessed out our office window.

A guy was brushing the snow off his van and had the engine running to get it warm. He also had his windshield wipers on (a common thing in the land of rain) and was using the scraper end of his brush to clear the clumps of snow off the bottom of the window.....between swipes of the blades. He didn't even realize what a futile effort it was!

Got any silly snow stories?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
The first year my brother and SIL moved from NY to Florida they had a freeze over night and of course my SIL went out to start vehical to warm it up and defrost the windshield because that is how you thaw a iced over windshield---- as she waited for her car to warm up she watched 3 neighbors throw hot water on their windshields and then watched them shatter.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, Mikki, that sounds like something that would happen out here LOL!!!

I was born on the prairies and was used to my mother bundling me up in my snow suit and wrapping me in a 6 foot homemade scarf and sending me off to school in the biggest of snowstorms. Nothing EVER closed our schools. That was grade one and two.

Well we moved to the coast that summer and in the winter of grade three we got some "snow". I remember waking up one morning and seeing about two inches of some white stuff that was more water than ice and hearing my Mom calling to my older sister and I that we would go back to bed if we wanted because school was canceled! We just cracked up laughing. We couldn't believe it. We also lived on a hill so she and I made about 15 bucks that day shovelling cars out of the back alley and corners. It was a hoot!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Everymom

I love hearing about coastal folks trying to deal with snow. I feel kind of sorry for them, because they really don't know what works.

Laurie, I've lived in the prairies my whole life and the colder it gets the more you hear, "cold enough for ya?"

A couple of winters ago we were trying to baby our old van just til we could afford a new one. Well...the heater totally blew as I left Safeway to go home. Our breath was fogging up the windshield so badly I could hardly see to drive (and it was only a matter of a few blocks to get home). I threw my AMA card at Kate and told her to scrape so I could drive. The two of us were scraping madly and creeping along like ants. We made it home thank goodness but what a hairy couple of blocks!

My favorite story to share is the one where I was expecting our oldest daughter. Ken and I lived in a 3 story walk up and had just traded in his sporty RX7 for a LeBaron since we were now going to need 3 seats. Well, we discovered in the first cold snap that the block heater wasn't working well so until we could afford to take it in and get it fixed Ken would get up in the middle of the night and start it, let it run a bit and then come back to bed. (I was always hot so when he got in he'd snuggle up and we'd both say AHHHHHHH!!!) We subsequently discovered that the block heater wasn't hooked up or something like that. Hello? Not hooked up???? I found out later that some cars don't even HAVE block heaters! Talk about a prairie girl huh? I had no idea that block heaters weren't standard issue!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Alix, I can totally relate.

Do you know that until we moved to the coast I thought the only indoor ice rinks were in the NHL?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

How about some advice?

Carry a gallon of Clorox in your trunk...pour it in front of your back tires if you get stuck. Also carry a warm blanket (insulated sleeping bag is better) and a flashlight with good batteries. That was what we did before cell phones, but it's still a good idea. The phone may not do you a lot of good during a blizzard.

We've had some very mild winters, and some horrible winters, here in southern Illinois..You never know.

In 1984-85, we had temperatures of -20 degrees and so much snow that we didn't see the ground for 6 weeks. I remember seeing a bright, sunny blue sky on a day that the high temperature was -3. You cannot imagine how many 75 lb. buckets of stoker coal that I carried to heat my greenhouse that winter.
And for any of you who know about strip mines, DH was 150 feet above the ground, trying to repair the ice-covered wheel during a strong wind and -18 temperatures.

That may not impress you Northerners...my grandfather was from Maine, where they had to shovel a tunnel from the back door to the barn, so they could tend to the animals...But it's awful darned cold for us hillbillies!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Alix, I can totally relate.

Do you know that until we moved to the coast I thought the only indoor ice rinks were in the NHL?
I used to ice skate at an indoor rink in NJ , when I was a kid.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Head Chef

When I first moved to the Seattle area from the mid-West I must have had to explain to 283 people why I had an "extension cord" hanging from the radiator area of my car. They were always shocked when I explained that if cars weren't plugged in (block heaters) the car wouldn't start because it was so cold during the winter.

If they had closed schools back there like they do here (where three or more snowflakes means panic) I wouldn't know how to read or write.

Z
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

My first car had a block heater. We used to call my car "plugface" because of it.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Head Chef

It is bitter cold!!!!